Dream plan for rail in KC

Transportation topics in KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I know KC is a car town. It's true. People here love open spaces and LOTs of highways. But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be cool to have a rail system going. I even read somewhere that Jo Co wanted a train going into the city. But from what I remember, they wanted it to bring employees to their chains and big box stores. Anyways. . . here's my dream plan:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The heart and brain center of the operation is Union Station. I'm not sure how feasible this is, but Union Station would be the hub of the rail and light rail/monorail.

The plan would include two different components of transit: rail on existing tracks and light/monorail. As for having monorail or light rail, i really don't think it matters, although monorail would be more impressive. Basically the system would be modeled a little like Chicago. Outer areas linked to the city then the city linked together. All the suburbs would be linked to the city with the existing rail tracks leading to Union Station. Actual trains would be boarding in small city centers of all the suburbs (Lenexa, Lee's Summit, Olathe, etc.) and at KCI. The light rail would run in the city.

All the rail and light rail/monorail would be centralized at Union Station. The monorail/light rail would include 4 routes.

The "through town" would take commuters the length of main street from the city market to the plaza. There would be two sub-routes "through town north" and "through town south" going opposite directions. Attractions include: river market, new arena near Crown Center, new football stadium on the river, westport, the plaza.

Another major route would be "downtown loop." It would move in a circular direction from Union Station bounded by Pershing to Broadway to 7th Street to Oak and back to Pershing. It would run two routes, counter-clockwise and clockwise. Attractions: Bartle Hall, Quality Hill, new PAC, city and county government.

Another downtown route would be "downtown west". It would also be circluar, but without two directional sub-routes. It would run from Pershing south to 31st Street then go north on Prospect turn west on 18th street and then south on Main back to Union Station. Attractions: Crown Center, 18th and Vine, Prospect Ave. (???)

The final route, "State Line," would be a vertical route going from Union Station to Ward Parkway Center. Ward Parkway Center will serve as a "park and ride" center for direct access to the light rail/monorail. The route will run west on Pershing and then south to Penn Valley Dr. then turn west on 31st Street. From there it will run south on Southwest Trafficway. It will turn west again at 39th Street. It continues west on 39th and then makes a another turn south on State Line Road. It follows State Line to Ward Parkway Center. Attractions: Liberty Memorial/Penn Valley Park, 39th Street district, Mission Hills neighborhood, Ward Parkway Center.

These ideas are only a dream and I haven't taken into account one-way streets, rail entrances to Union Station, space at Union Station and other obstacles. I believe there also is no current rail going to the airport so that would need to be built. I just really like the idea of the city all being one entity. Let's connect everyone. It's just a dream, but what do you guys think?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I forgot to add that a new attraction for the Downtown West route would be a new baseball stadium in the 18th and Vine district. Follow the new stadium with hundreds of funky-type apartments.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

What can I say, it's your "dream" great ideas, hope someday at least some of it comes true!
Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Cyburbia »

I still have to study the map more to figure out where rail transit would work.

I think an Australian-style rail transit system might work well here. Aussie rail transit is a hybrid of urban and commuter service; trains run at 15 minute intervals, with stops about two km or further apart. Australian cities have the low population density, extensive suburbanization and attachment to the car that characterizes KC, so Aussie-style transit might be a good fit.

The challenge, though ... rail to downtown. There's also major destinations that are off existing rail routes, such as Country Club Plaza and Corporate Woods.
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums