Segway (IT, Ginger, Dean Kamen...)

Transportation topics in KC
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

I saw a Segway on the Plaza tonight. Looked like an older guy driving/riding it. I couldn't get a good look since it was dark, but it was pretty cool to see one in person. I wanted to ask him if I could take it for a spin. Looks pretty much effortless.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

cool...never seen one
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

As it is, the average American walks 350 yards a week, which is primarily the distance to and from their cars. Is 350 yards too much now? We are already the most obese nation in the world. It's like having legs is a bad thing.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

There was an older couple with a pair of Segways at Art Westport.

From what I have read, there is definitely a learning curve. Initially, you had to go to their HQ for training before they let you have it. Now when you buy a Segway they send someone to your house to teach you how to use it.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

We spotted a Segway at September's First Friday Art Walk. I don't remember much about the person driving/riding it.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

I rode one for a half hour when I was in Portland earlier this year. It took a little getting used to (I turned the handle the wrong way since it was counterintuitive and then bumped into the outside wall of the hotel), but after that, it was relatively easy.......and boring. After about 15 minutes I got bored with it since you're just standing there, not really doing anything. It would be cool if you worked in a huge warehouse or something, but for transportation, I'll stick to walking or biking. (And they don't belong on sidewalks!)
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

FYI,
Oregon is one of the most unhealthy states in the US. The last thing people need up here is another excuse not to move. Use those two things attached to your body. Anyway, people here in Portland cannot drive in the rain, what will they do with this new toy?
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

macnw wrote:FYI,
Oregon is one of the most unhealthy states in the US. The last thing people need up here is another excuse not to move. Use those two things attached to your body. Anyway, people here in Portland cannot drive in the rain, what will they do with this new toy?
Maybe I should have clarified....the Segway I rode in Portland was at an international conference on walking in an attempt to garner some good will from the walking community (no small chore considering the alienation Segway created by its intensive lobbying efforts to get legislation allowing Segways on sidewalks). I don't know anything about them being in Portland other than that.

If I lived in Portland, I'd be walking when I wasn't riding transit. :) What I saw of it anyway (which, admittedly, was limited) was immensely walkable.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

the couple in their 40s or 50s live in my neighborhood...they are the people you saw at the plaza art fair and maybe the westport art fair too...they are so cool...they are going to give me lessons soon :)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Plaza Security is testing a Segway, and City Hall is considering them for meter readers, police crowd control, and other uses. Appareantly there is a local dealer now who has sold dozens already.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/6919346.htm

(FYI, The Star requires registration to read online now) :(
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

but they are all being recalled????
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

They're getting a software patch to give an earlier low battery warning. Some people were ignoring the warning and getting injured when the Segway stopped running and they fell off. I guess you can't hook to your PC to update the on-board software. New units already have the update.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

bahua wrote:As it is, the average American walks 350 yards a week, which is primarily the distance to and from their cars. Is 350 yards too much now? We are already the most obese nation in the world. It's like having legs is a bad thing.
That's not even a quarter of a mile!!!!!!

Comment to America:

"HEY FATTY, how about holding the fries for ONCE!"
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I like my fries. Here's my comment to America:

Hey FATTY, how about using the stairs to get to the second or third floor?