Buck O'Neill International Airport

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6909
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by flyingember » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:57 pm

mykem wrote:My idea would be for some one that is from the area and has ties to aviation. Amelia Earhart International. Just a thought. :)
that's Atchison, KS's airport. good idea, not the right name

User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by KCMax » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm

mykem wrote:My idea would be for some one that is from the area and has ties to aviation. Amelia Earhart International. Just a thought. :)
Considering what happened to her, I don't know if that's the idea I want to think about when I'm flying on a plane.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3749
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by grovester » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:28 pm

What? No "Chilean Soccer Team International"?
KCMax wrote:
mykem wrote:My idea would be for some one that is from the area and has ties to aviation. Amelia Earhart International. Just a thought. :)
Considering what happened to her, I don't know if that's the idea I want to think about when I'm flying on a plane.

User avatar
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1164
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:23 am

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by mykem » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:01 am

KCMax wrote:
mykem wrote:My idea would be for some one that is from the area and has ties to aviation. Amelia Earhart International. Just a thought. :)
Considering what happened to her, I don't know if that's the idea I want to think about when I'm flying on a plane.
flyingember wrote:
mykem wrote:My idea would be for some one that is from the area and has ties to aviation. Amelia Earhart International. Just a thought. :)
that's Atchison, KS's airport. good idea, not the right name
Fair enough all good points. Harry S. Truman would be about the only other name I would ever consider.

longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 880
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by longviewmo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 am

Truman would have been a good name if Gebaur would have become the international airport.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6909
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by flyingember » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Harry S. Truman would be a good name for MKC if Wheeler hadn't gotten that one.

town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by town cow » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 am

Basie International Airport.

Or more in line with this thread, Bassie.

User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by KCMax » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

town cow wrote:Basie International Airport.

Or more in line with this thread, Bassie.
"I'm flying to the Count for a weekend in Kansas City."

I like it.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16705
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed May 23, 2018 3:00 pm

So... MLK Terminal at KCI?

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28701
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by KCPowercat » Wed May 23, 2018 7:39 pm

please no

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3749
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by grovester » Wed May 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Harmless. I know that MKE is General Mitchell, but the only time you see it IRL is on the freeway.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28701
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by KCPowercat » Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 pm

It is harmless...but it also makes no sense.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10747
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by mean » Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 pm

I agree it is harmless. I agree it makes no sense. I also think it's silly and artificial. But if it is harmless and legitimately makes some people happy, what's the big deal? I can't really see any practical reason to oppose.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by WoodDraw » Thu May 24, 2018 3:11 am

mean wrote:I agree it is harmless. I agree it makes no sense. I also think it's silly and artificial. But if it is harmless and legitimately makes some people happy, what's the big deal? I can't really see any practical reason to oppose.
Maybe some day we'd like to name things after people that mean something to Kansas City?

I think the group behind this is creatively bankrupt. How about name the terminal after famous black KC musicians and have murals and kiosks throughout? It could play into KC history, actually mean something to people here, and maybe even point people to things important in our city.

I dunno, anything but this. Please. I promise, this isn't this hard.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by WoodDraw » Thu May 24, 2018 3:28 am

I'm not even sure I'm okay with naming the terminal after anyone. But I like my idea better than this nonsense.

I'd prefer a rotating local exhibit that pays to tribute to KC

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28701
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by KCPowercat » Thu May 24, 2018 7:04 am

Yeah I just think it's lazy...if there wasn't a new terminal beint built would they have tried to rename B to MLK?

I think any naming should symbolize what MLK stood for...like a huge park for people to gather...or an east west road in KC that bridges our current rscial divide.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6909
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by flyingember » Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 am

KCPowercat wrote:Yeah I just think it's lazy...if there wasn't a new terminal beint built would they have tried to rename B to MLK?

I think any naming should symbolize what MLK stood for...like a huge park for people to gather...or an east west road in KC that bridges our current rscial divide.
Or how about a neighborhood?
49-63 crosses Troost effectively, split into East and West parts. What about taking both parts and renaming it as one neighborhood? This would take the name to touch Morningside, Brookside and South Plaza on the west and The Paseo on the east and would connect the name with the goal of finally bridging the Troost divide in one place of the city.

I can't think of a more symbolic change.

User avatar
WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3388
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by WSPanic » Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am

KCMax wrote:I think a far more fitting tribute would be to build a world class baseball facility in the 18th and Vine District for baseball tournaments.
And a decade later it happens. Didn't get Buck's name, but still a good call.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10747
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by mean » Thu May 24, 2018 3:09 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
mean wrote:I agree it is harmless. I agree it makes no sense. I also think it's silly and artificial. But if it is harmless and legitimately makes some people happy, what's the big deal? I can't really see any practical reason to oppose.
Maybe some day we'd like to name things after people that mean something to Kansas City?

I think the group behind this is creatively bankrupt. How about name the terminal after famous black KC musicians and have murals and kiosks throughout? It could play into KC history, actually mean something to people here, and maybe even point people to things important in our city.

I dunno, anything but this. Please. I promise, this isn't this hard.
I agree, that would be better. I would prefer that. I just don't have enough of a problem with something that may please some people to tell them they can't have the thing they want or that they should want something else instead. Just feels patronizing.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are hills I'm willing to die on for the things I believe in, but this seems more like Vietnam than the American Revolution. A wedge to divide people over something silly when we should just come together and say, "Yeah, OK, whatever."

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by WoodDraw » Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 pm

mean wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:
mean wrote:I agree it is harmless. I agree it makes no sense. I also think it's silly and artificial. But if it is harmless and legitimately makes some people happy, what's the big deal? I can't really see any practical reason to oppose.
Maybe some day we'd like to name things after people that mean something to Kansas City?

I think the group behind this is creatively bankrupt. How about name the terminal after famous black KC musicians and have murals and kiosks throughout? It could play into KC history, actually mean something to people here, and maybe even point people to things important in our city.

I dunno, anything but this. Please. I promise, this isn't this hard.
I agree, that would be better. I would prefer that. I just don't have enough of a problem with something that may please some people to tell them they can't have the thing they want or that they should want something else instead. Just feels patronizing.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are hills I'm willing to die on for the things I believe in, but this seems more like Vietnam than the American Revolution. A wedge to divide people over something silly when we should just come together and say, "Yeah, OK, whatever."
Why can't we just slow down? I feel like this came out of nowhere and now people want to name everything MLK this or that. I half expect an editorial in the KC Star to rename the entire city MLK City by the end of this weekend.

I think we could raise money for a very fitting and meaningful tribute to MLK if we all just slowed down a bit and looked at what would be best.

Post Reply