Buck O'Neill International Airport

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Buck O'Neill International Airport

Post by flyingember »

mykem wrote:My idea would be for some one that is from the area and has ties to aviation. Amelia Earhart International. Just a thought. :)
that's Atchison, KS's airport. good idea, not the right name
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mykem wrote:My idea would be for some one that is from the area and has ties to aviation. Amelia Earhart International. Just a thought. :)
Considering what happened to her, I don't know if that's the idea I want to think about when I'm flying on a plane.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

What? No "Chilean Soccer Team International"?
KCMax wrote:
Considering what happened to her, I don't know if that's the idea I want to think about when I'm flying on a plane.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KCMax wrote:
flyingember wrote:
that's Atchison, KS's airport. good idea, not the right name
Fair enough all good points. Harry S. Truman would be about the only other name I would ever consider.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Truman would have been a good name if Gebaur would have become the international airport.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Harry S. Truman would be a good name for MKC if Wheeler hadn't gotten that one.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Basie International Airport.

Or more in line with this thread, Bassie.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

town cow wrote:Basie International Airport.

Or more in line with this thread, Bassie.
"I'm flying to the Count for a weekend in Kansas City."

I like it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

So... MLK Terminal at KCI?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

please no
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Harmless. I know that MKE is General Mitchell, but the only time you see it IRL is on the freeway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It is harmless...but it also makes no sense.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I agree it is harmless. I agree it makes no sense. I also think it's silly and artificial. But if it is harmless and legitimately makes some people happy, what's the big deal? I can't really see any practical reason to oppose.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

mean wrote:I agree it is harmless. I agree it makes no sense. I also think it's silly and artificial. But if it is harmless and legitimately makes some people happy, what's the big deal? I can't really see any practical reason to oppose.
Maybe some day we'd like to name things after people that mean something to Kansas City?

I think the group behind this is creatively bankrupt. How about name the terminal after famous black KC musicians and have murals and kiosks throughout? It could play into KC history, actually mean something to people here, and maybe even point people to things important in our city.

I dunno, anything but this. Please. I promise, this isn't this hard.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not even sure I'm okay with naming the terminal after anyone. But I like my idea better than this nonsense.

I'd prefer a rotating local exhibit that pays to tribute to KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I just think it's lazy...if there wasn't a new terminal beint built would they have tried to rename B to MLK?

I think any naming should symbolize what MLK stood for...like a huge park for people to gather...or an east west road in KC that bridges our current rscial divide.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Yeah I just think it's lazy...if there wasn't a new terminal beint built would they have tried to rename B to MLK?

I think any naming should symbolize what MLK stood for...like a huge park for people to gather...or an east west road in KC that bridges our current rscial divide.
Or how about a neighborhood?
49-63 crosses Troost effectively, split into East and West parts. What about taking both parts and renaming it as one neighborhood? This would take the name to touch Morningside, Brookside and South Plaza on the west and The Paseo on the east and would connect the name with the goal of finally bridging the Troost divide in one place of the city.

I can't think of a more symbolic change.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCMax wrote:I think a far more fitting tribute would be to build a world class baseball facility in the 18th and Vine District for baseball tournaments.
And a decade later it happens. Didn't get Buck's name, but still a good call.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WoodDraw wrote:
mean wrote:I agree it is harmless. I agree it makes no sense. I also think it's silly and artificial. But if it is harmless and legitimately makes some people happy, what's the big deal? I can't really see any practical reason to oppose.
Maybe some day we'd like to name things after people that mean something to Kansas City?

I think the group behind this is creatively bankrupt. How about name the terminal after famous black KC musicians and have murals and kiosks throughout? It could play into KC history, actually mean something to people here, and maybe even point people to things important in our city.

I agree, that would be better. I would prefer that. I just don't have enough of a problem with something that may please some people to tell them they can't have the thing they want or that they should want something else instead. Just feels patronizing.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are hills I'm willing to die on for the things I believe in, but this seems more like Vietnam than the American Revolution. A wedge to divide people over something silly when we should just come together and say, "Yeah, OK, whatever."
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

mean wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:

I agree, that would be better. I would prefer that. I just don't have enough of a problem with something that may please some people to tell them they can't have the thing they want or that they should want something else instead. Just feels patronizing.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are hills I'm willing to die on for the things I believe in, but this seems more like Vietnam than the American Revolution. A wedge to divide people over something silly when we should just come together and say, "Yeah, OK, whatever."
Why can't we just slow down? I feel like this came out of nowhere and now people want to name everything MLK this or that. I half expect an editorial in the KC Star to rename the entire city MLK City by the end of this weekend.

I think we could raise money for a very fitting and meaningful tribute to MLK if we all just slowed down a bit and looked at what would be best.