Light Rail Systems And Routes In Other Cities

Transportation topics in KC
brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Light Rail Systems And Routes In Other Cities

Post by brewcrew1000 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 pm

I don't get the whole route either and I am from Milwaukee. The route in the Northeast part of the route is more residential/high rises, so its nice that they have residents along the route but don't undersand why they they didn't go down Wisconsin Ave (Milwaukee's Main Street) to connect with Marquette University. Were they just dead set on connecting the train station/intermodal?

Its possible they didn't want to go down Wisconsin because once you get past Marquette going west on Wisconsin it starts getting a little dangerous

KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:06 pm

The roll out of the St Louis Loop Trolley really has been a shit show.

After years of delays, they finally had the ribbon cutting ceremony yesterday, but couldn't start service due to snow (I guess that part was just bad luck).

Service started today, but only with two cars running a shortened route that didn't even reach the Loop due to a "bureaucratic snafu" . On top of that, there was a shooting that suspended service.

For now, it will only be running noon to 8 on weekdays, noon to 11 on weekends.

I thought all of the negativity about the Loop Trolley was just typical haters (like we had in KC pre streetcar), but it really seems like a mess so far.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/met ... -top-story

grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by grovester » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:53 pm

KC has been completely blessed with the execution of the streetcar, so many horror stories from other cities.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:05 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:17 am
I will be in Milwaukee this week and plan on riding the street car. One thing I am disappointed is that it does not run by any of the 2 sports arenas. Its about 5/6 blocks away. Seems like a huge opportunity missed not putting it by arenas. It would be nice to park a mile away and take the streetcar into the game
Sport venues are not reliable daily generators of ridership. Jobs/residents -- that's what transit planners should (and often do) focus on. The Milwaukee Streetcar is higher capacity than a bus, but is practically useless for filling a stadium with 15 minute headways. Much better to connect to the multimodal Amtrak/Greyhound station.

Milwaukee streetcar will do fine if they can keep it free. It's just too short to charge a fare. The "lakefront" loop that will open later is actually pretty stupid though.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Loop Trolley had one of two vehicles break down already. Started full service less than a month ago.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/met ... 1e9d9.html

normalthings
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by normalthings » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Follow up Question: aside from vehicle cost, why are heritage streetcar systems soo much cheaper than modern streetcar systems?

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Loop Trolley has a lengthy single track section, for one. Vehicle cost is major, especially if refurb.