Light Rail Systems And Routes In Other Cities

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Light Rail Systems And Routes In Other Cities

Post by GRID »

I threw quick list of light rail projects together.  I know there are many more, but I don't want to find a pic of them all, so feel free to add more to this thread.  If KC does build light rail, anybody have any thoughts on what types of trains we should go after?

San Diego

Denver

Portland

Seattle

Sacramento

Minneapolis

Baltimore

Phoenix

St Louis

Charlotte

Dallas

Houston

Salt Lake City
Last edited by warwickland on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Light Rail Systems

Post by ShowMeKC »

I don't think I like Denver's, at least the design of the train itself.

We need to go for a more futuristic and unique look. Maybe like some of the bullet trains out there, with the sloping front and rear ends.

Make different trains with themed paint like blue/white for the royals, red/white/yellow for the chiefs, red/white/blue with stars for US/Missouri

I also believe we should scrap the idea of no wires. It'd be cool to see wires around Downtown, give people some reconnection to the old Downtown.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

GRID wrote: I threw quick list of light rail projects together.  I know there are many more, but I don't want to find a pic of them all, so feel free to add more to this thread.  If KC does build light rail, anybody have any thoughts on what types of trains we should go after?

Denver

Sacramento

St Louis
I love these three the best.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

those Houston ones are kinda sexy!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I like San Diego and Charlotte's designs. ^^^^ Chiefs colors???  :lol: How about we stick to something like navy blue or green....something a little more sophisticated.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

nah, i'd prefer themed trains, why conform to what other cities are doing? Make those raiders/denver/chargers fans ride a train with Chiefs colors on it ;)

How about a name?
Last edited by ShowMeKC on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

I like this one in Dublin because of the big windows - without the lavander.
But I cant quit thinking that with pedestrians here in town there might should be a cattleguard. (I'm a ped quite often, but I try to not be in the street when or where I shouldnt be)

ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Which brings up the subject how fast can these stop?

I changed my mind, instead of red, yellow and white, I'd like red with yellow trim at the bottom.
Of course, you could even have the KC ONE train.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

JDluu wrote: I like this one in Dublin because of the big windows - without the lavander.
But I cant quit thinking that with pedestrians here in town there might should be a cattleguard. (I'm a ped quite often, but I try to not be in the street when or where I shouldnt be)
I rode Dublin's Luas last year and it was very nice.  Attractive trains, automated fair collection, good signage and announcements.  Plus it worked will enough to get me home drunk in a foreign city, so it must be designed well.

But they have an odd situation - two separate lines that don't connect.  Now they're spending a bunch of money to connect the mile or so gap. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

ShowMeKC wrote:How about a name?
The Monarch?

I also like your KC ONE suggestion.
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

(If we actually get it built,) would a oneKC car be optimistic or just ironic?

Optimistic in the hopes that joco will jump on the train and try to get that commuter line going on the rail that runs along I-35, or ironic that they are only sputtering in terms of making a regional contribution to the metro and that KCMO voters got out first and said something?
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

No, it would be promoting the idea of linking all of KC.

And if it gets built? It will get built 100%, and it isn't going to take 10-15 years to do it.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

If they are thinking right this thing could be started tomorrow on land aquistition. it would not take long to lay rail after the railbeds are constructed.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Land acquistion, aren't the streets condidered public property?
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

Showme, I wish I had your certain optimism.

I too, think that the metro would be better and stronger if we all linked up and acted as one city. I also hope that the tracks will get in the ground before i'm an old man. I'm just waiting to see when all areas will make a substantial contribution and how exactly this plan will be hashed out. There are still a lot of unanswered questions. Hopefully, when joco residents go to the plaza or p&l they will notice the positive effect that developments like this can have on an area.

Anyway, did anyone ever post a link or information on a more detailed version of the plan? The closest I came  was a copy of the ordinance on the city's site.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

From the maps there are some areas that look like they go through private property.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I'm optimistic because I look at how much the urban core is improving. All we need is to approve more taxes and cut funding for buses in areas they are used the least and find other sources of funding.

Light Rail costs 30-40 million dollars per square mile when not elevated.

If we begin Light Rail for the DT Airport to the Zoo, that means between 200 and 400 million dollars for a 9-10 mile line. Many DT projects are costing a lot more than that.

This needs to be done in increments. If the first increment is done from DT to the Zoo, then we could definitely get it built within 10 years.

We aren't talking about seperate lines, we are talking about extending the planned lines further.

*Actually, looking at the numbers, the amt for elevated rail (on average) is 40-60 million. The average for non-elevated, normal lines is about 25 million.

If you think about it, this could definitely be built within ten years if we start now. In Jan. of 2007, we need to start studies, including searches for funding and public relations to make it more popular, so we could approve another tax.
After the studies are done, and the routes chosen, etc... Then we should start with the first phase, which should be about from the DT Airport/NKC to the Zoo. Or from I-29 to the Zoo, the latter would mean a max of a distance of about 15 miles.
That first line would cost about $375 million-$400 million
Last edited by ShowMeKC on Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Since KC will be the newest addition to the list of light rail cities, I think that we should be particularly innovative with our light rail design.  We need something that will set us apart from other cities. I love the design of Houston's Metro rail cars, with their aerodynamic design.
"Let's get it!"
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

and go WIRELESS!!!!!

what a revolutionary idea (sarcasm)
but we should...or go maglev if that doesnt work...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

is maglev really designed for frequent stops?but anyways i would have a Houston style car painted yellow(since yellow is the first color the human eye sees)for safety,then i would paint a black and white checker stripe( like the old n.y.c. taxi cabs) around the whole thing.as for a name it needs to be short,and sweet.