Light Rail Systems And Routes In Other Cities

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Light Rail Systems And Routes In Other Cities

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sound Transit opens new light-rail link with Sea-Tac Airport
Sound Transit opened its latest light-rail segment today, bringing riders to its new SeaTac/Airport Station.

Late-morning trains brought about 75 holiday travelers the 1.7 miles from the Tukwila station to the towering airport train stop with its spine-like truss roof, located between airport's parking garage and Highway 99, a quarter-mile walk from the terminal.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

phoenix is learning some lessons about driver behavior when LRT is present in the street:

Downtown Phoenix emerges as light-rail collision hot spot
Phoenix-area drivers are still making mistakes. Police have blamed all 52 crashes involving trains on motorists, not rail operators.

In an effort to solve the problems and reduce the number of collisions, engineers, recognizing an emerging pattern, have begun changing signs and signals at accident hot spots.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I know this was discussed elsewhere, but here is a Ptown perspective:

In a major departure from Bush administration practice that could make it easier for Portland to grow its light rail and streetcar systems, the Obama administration said it will change the rules for funding mass transit projects.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced new funding guidelines for major transit projects will be based on livability issues such as economic development and environmental benefits ? in addition to cost and fighting congestion.

"Our new policy for selecting major transit projects will work to promote livability rather than hinder it," LaHood said. "We want to base our decisions on how much transit helps the environment, how much it improves development opportunities and how it makes our communities better places to live."

Portland has a huge stake in the federal funding of streetcars and light rail. A Portland Streetcar extension to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry was held up for years because of the Bush administration rules. The Portland City Council last fall adopted a plan for 58 miles of streetcar lines criss-crossing the city. Metro planners are actively studying potential light rail routes to Tigard via Oregon 99W and to Gresham via Southeast Powell Boulevard.
cont....

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/i ... _stre.html
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

Forgive me if I am dredging up an option that is considered by most to be impractical, but why in the world are we (KC metro area) not talking about elevated monorail? 

From everything I've read and heard this is by far the most practical form of rail-oriented public transit.  There is no street-level interaction thereby eliminating collisions with people and autos, not to mention delays caused by traffic and other obstacles.  The cost to build is dramatically cheaper because you are not limited by right of way nearly as much, plus the general construction costs are cheaper.  Certain types of monorail also travel at a faster speed than lightrail.

Please, someone explain why this isn't being considered.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCBoom wrote: Forgive me if I am dredging up an option that is considered by most to be impractical, but why in the world are we (KC metro area) not talking about elevated monorail? 

From everything I've read and heard this is by far the most practical form of rail-oriented public transit.  There is no street-level interaction thereby eliminating collisions with people and autos, not to mention delays caused by traffic and other obstacles.  The cost to build is dramatically cheaper because you are not limited by right of way nearly as much, plus the general construction costs are cheaper.  Certain types of monorail also travel at a faster speed than lightrail.

Please, someone explain why this isn't being considered.
I'm with you in that I think we should invest in the best method of transportation possible, but I don't think you'd find many people who would claim that the cost to build is dramatically cheaper.  Monorail is, as I've read, more expensive than street-level Light Rail by a factor of 3 or more.  If I were in charge, I'd like to have monorail as my goal, from the airport to downtown to 75th st., along with commuter rail into the core from Village West and Truman Sports Complex, and commuter to 75th through OP and Southern KCMO.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... heast.html
At a Glance: Portland-Milwaukie light-rail

Length: 7.3 miles

Stations: 10 initially, one more in future.

Ridership forecast: 27,400 daily trips by 2030.

Total Cost: $1.417 billion

Most expensive part: Willamette River bridge, $110 million

Largest local funders:
• Lottery, $250 million
• Metro, $72 million
• City of Portland, $30 million
• TriMet, $30 million
• Clackamas County, $25 million
• City of Milwaukie, $5 million

Federal share sought: $850 million

Project Web site: trimet.org/pm

View a timeline of Portland-Milwaukie light-rail development

Cont......
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Light Rail

Post by nota »

it's interesting-Indianapolis is trying for a grandiose transit plan which includes a lot of light rail. I think I heard finished in 2015 but I might be mistaken.

If they can get this off the ground, there will be a referendum. Should be interesting to watch. Many of the "big guns" of government and business are in favor.

There is no Clay Chastain involved ;-)

And if you're not interested, please disregard this thread.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Colfax streetcar study moves forward
In the next few weeks, the City of Denver plans to request proposals from consultants interested in conducting a streetcar feasibility study that will focus on Colfax and parallel streets. The City?s public works department is paying for the study, which is estimated to cost $190,000. Following the study?s completion, the City will likely seek federal funding to implement the recommended route.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The MTA board voted today to make its proposed service cuts official.

Board members approved a plan that calls for getting rid of the "V" and "W" trains, and scaling back service on several other subway and bus lines and hundreds of layoffs -- including station agents (aka "token-booth clerks"). The "V" will be replaced by a modified "M" train.

The cuts also contain 1,000 layoffs, including 450 station agents, which will happen in May.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36016653

There will also be reduced service on the LIRR Port Washington branch, and there will be no weekend service on the West Hempstead branch. There will be no late evening service to Brooklyn on the LIRR, and 11 Long Island bus routes are being eliminated.

The MTA insists the changes are needed to help close a budget gap of nearly $800 million dollars.

The service reductions will save $93 million a year.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I couldn't find the high speed rail in other cities thread so:
(move if you want, Dave)
http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_14744763

High-speed rail halting in San Jose wouldn't change Peninsula impact, Caltrain says

By Mike Rosenberg
San Mateo County Times
Posted: 03/23/2010 08:49:37 PM PDT
Updated: 03/24/2010 08:14:31 AM PDT

In a blow to high-speed-rail critics lobbying for the train line from Los Angeles to end in San Jose, Caltrain officials said Tuesday that the idea would require the same Peninsula track expansion while harming local commuter service and stripping the agency of funding.

For riders to take the bullet train from Southern California to San Jose and transfer to an express Caltrain to San Francisco — as some critics and planners have proposed — Caltrain would have to add tracks or eliminate commute service to accommodate them, said Bob Doty, Caltrain's joint high-speed-rail program director.

As a result, whether high-speed rail runs to San Jose or San Francisco, the impact on Peninsula residents and businesses — namely property taking, noise and aesthetics — would be virtually the same. But were it to stop in San Jose, train service would be longer and less convenient, and Doty said the project would cost about the same but have fewer funding sources.

"I just think people think that if high-speed rail stops in San Jose, we can just use what we have today, and there's just no way," Doty said. "It's one of these closed loop arguments; I just don't know how you do it."

continued.....
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So I'm staying about 5 min from the airport in Montreal, headed to a Habs game tonight, checked the light rail map. It goes downtown but stops about 5 miles short of the airport. WTFrick? Not a inconvenience for me but I can't understand why they didn't take it on down to the airport.

Side note, so far I really like this city.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yeah - spring for a cab into the city - once you are there the subway will get you anywhere you need. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: So I'm staying about 5 min from the airport in Montreal, headed to a Habs game tonight, checked the light rail map. It goes downtown but stops about 5 miles short of the airport. WTFrick? Not a inconvenience for me but I can't understand why they didn't take it on down to the airport.

Side note, so far I really like this city.
don't waste money on a cab. montreal is on google transit. it shows there is a bus connection to the orange line. they don't have light rail, by the way, it's a subway that runs on rubber tires.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Light Rail

Post by warwickland »

nota wrote: it's interesting-Indianapolis is trying for a grandiose transit plan which includes a lot of light rail. I think I heard finished in 2015 but I might be mistaken.

If they can get this off the ground, there will be a referendum. Should be interesting to watch. Many of the "big guns" of government and business are in favor.

There is no Clay Chastain involved ;-)

And if you're not interested, please disregard this thread.
First I've heard of it. Indy is the same distance east of StL that KC is west, but I never hear a peep from Indy. The link is dead.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Last edited by warwickland on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: don't waste money on a cab. montreal is on google transit. it shows there is a bus connection to the orange line. they don't have light rail, by the way, it's a subway that runs on rubber tires.
Yes, I know. Bus runs a mile and a half over to the last metro station. No bus coming back but there is a taxi stand at the station. Easy Breazy. Could have walked it if it was a bit warmer.

Sorry for the misnomer on the "Light Rail".

Hockey game was freaking AWESOME. First NHL game ever for me and I got to see the most storied franchise in the NHL win at home. We have got to get hockey in the Sprint center.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

prop A passed today in St. Louis County, reversing bus and rail cuts, and opening the door for metrolink expansion (presumably in the county, though hopefully in the city). 1/2 cent sales tax goes into effect for both city and county (city already passed tax in 1997..yes thats right a passed sales tax has been shelved since 1997).
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

This is great news for St. Louis (and Missouri as a whole).

It also won by a resounding percentage of the vote - which shows STL's mteropolitan region commitment to Metro.

I truly believe that the recent cuts in Metro Bus service to portions of the metro and recent changes at the transit agency
operations and budgeting proved to be a key factor in the metropolitan's stand on new taxes in support.

I live in St. Louis now and I ride the trains all the time and the system is one of the nicest in the country if you ask me.  I hate
light rail systems in general - but STL's runs completely like heavy rail and thus is fast and completely in right away, elevated or
subway which makes the system unique IMO.

Anyway, Glad to see this done and Metro begins restoring bus service today.  Metro only cut frequency on train service after 9:00 pm for
the most part and frequency during special events.  Riders may of thought that was a factor in pushing through Prop A as well.

More than 30 percent of Downtown workers daily use Metro rail to get to work daily from the suburbs.  That is a huge chunk of people.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

Really great new for St. Louis residents. I have friends who live there that are ecstatic. I am happy for STL, but I can't help but be frustrated by the fact that KC has not been able to get a simple starter system in place.