KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by flyingember » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:04 am

alejandro46 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:10 pm
Airlines have recently realized (a) hub+spoke not the best model and (b) fewer flights and higher per seat revenue is the best bet.
We've largely lose the second tier of service through first tier mergers. So the airlines are effectively rebuilding the network that once existed.

Air Midwest was KC-centered and code shared with US Airways, Braniff, Eastern and TWA. It peaked at nearly 90 flights daily from KC apparently. For them KC was what SLC is to Delta today, the regional feeder airport. If Wikipedia is to be believed the airline flew to more than 40 midwest destinations by 1984 and only five are a place there's a non-stop today from KCI. Not all destinations came into KC of course but that's the kind of service we're missing entirely today.

alejandro46
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: King in the North(Land)

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by alejandro46 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 am

flyingember wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:04 am
alejandro46 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:10 pm
Airlines have recently realized (a) hub+spoke not the best model and (b) fewer flights and higher per seat revenue is the best bet.
We've largely lose the second tier of service through first tier mergers. So the airlines are effectively rebuilding the network that once existed.

Air Midwest was KC-centered and code shared with US Airways, Braniff, Eastern and TWA. It peaked at nearly 90 flights daily from KC apparently. For them KC was what SLC is to Delta today, the regional feeder airport. If Wikipedia is to be believed the airline flew to more than 40 midwest destinations by 1984 and only five are a place there's a non-stop today from KCI. Not all destinations came into KC of course but that's the kind of service we're missing entirely today.
Ugh I loved Midwest Express. Gimme all those cookies. Plus look at that legroom.
Image

dev49
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 am

normalthings wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:49 pm
C-suite exec at JetBlue said that they will probably start MCI service once the new terminal comes online. Have heard similar from multiple other sources as well.
Seems like a long time to wait. Hopefully it is sooner.

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by brewcrew1000 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 pm

dev49 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 am
normalthings wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:49 pm
C-suite exec at JetBlue said that they will probably start MCI service once the new terminal comes online. Have heard similar from multiple other sources as well.
Seems like a long time to wait. Hopefully it is sooner.
JetBlue is announcing today they will be starting Transatlantic Service - Its still kind of crazy that one of the largest carriers still isn't flying here

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by flyingember » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:51 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 pm
dev49 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 am
normalthings wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:49 pm
C-suite exec at JetBlue said that they will probably start MCI service once the new terminal comes online. Have heard similar from multiple other sources as well.
Seems like a long time to wait. Hopefully it is sooner.
JetBlue is announcing today they will be starting Transatlantic Service - Its still kind of crazy that one of the largest carriers still isn't flying here
If Air Canada won't go a second place why is it surprising another airline wouldn't fly through KC at all?

Delta flies to 241 destinations. Only ten from Kansas City
United flies to 186 destinations. Only seven from Kansas City
Alaska flies to 115 destinations. Only four from Kansas City
Air Canada flies to 194 destinations. Only one from Kansas City
Allegiant flies to 91 destinations. Only five from Kansas City
American flies to 190 destinations. Only seven from Kansas City

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by brewcrew1000 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:01 pm

flyingember wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:51 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 pm
dev49 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 am


Seems like a long time to wait. Hopefully it is sooner.
JetBlue is announcing today they will be starting Transatlantic Service - Its still kind of crazy that one of the largest carriers still isn't flying here
If Air Canada won't go a second place why is it surprising another airline wouldn't fly through KC at all?

Delta flies to 241 destinations. Only ten from Kansas City
United flies to 186 destinations. Only seven from Kansas City
Alaska flies to 115 destinations. Only four from Kansas City
Air Canada flies to 194 destinations. Only one from Kansas City
Allegiant flies to 91 destinations. Only five from Kansas City
American flies to 190 destinations. Only seven from Kansas City
Not sure what u mean, it just find it odd that the 5 or 6th largest airline in US and a top 40 airport in the US has no flights from JetBlue at all.

Even a small airport like ABQ has JetBlue service to jfk

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by flyingember » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm

If you were jetblue would you think this is a market with lots of demand they can try to take some of?

Apparently the top 30 hubs move 70% of traffic. The not Southwest big airlines (Delta, American, United) only fly nonstop to 17 cities from KC in total.

Of the domestic airport destinations, only 31 have a single airline there.

There's lots of physical room for them to compete today and they're not.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6248
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by shinatoo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:08 pm

alejandro46 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 am
flyingember wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:04 am
alejandro46 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:10 pm
Airlines have recently realized (a) hub+spoke not the best model and (b) fewer flights and higher per seat revenue is the best bet.
We've largely lose the second tier of service through first tier mergers. So the airlines are effectively rebuilding the network that once existed.

Air Midwest was KC-centered and code shared with US Airways, Braniff, Eastern and TWA. It peaked at nearly 90 flights daily from KC apparently. For them KC was what SLC is to Delta today, the regional feeder airport. If Wikipedia is to be believed the airline flew to more than 40 midwest destinations by 1984 and only five are a place there's a non-stop today from KCI. Not all destinations came into KC of course but that's the kind of service we're missing entirely today.
Ugh I loved Midwest Express. Gimme all those cookies. Plus look at that legroom.
Image
It was so good. Sigh.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by normalthings » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 pm

dev49 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:33 am
normalthings wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:49 pm
C-suite exec at JetBlue said that they will probably start MCI service once the new terminal comes online. Have heard similar from multiple other sources as well.
Seems like a long time to wait. Hopefully it is sooner.
MCI is pretty much at capacity right now. There isn’t much room for anything other than limited service airlines here or there (ex. Via Air’s one route to Steam Boat). Southwest gave up a few gates for new terminal construction and a new baggage facility and so iirc they took the remaining free gates in central B.

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by brewcrew1000 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Midwest Express looks to be coming back
https://fox6now.com/2019/04/11/midwest- ... l-airport/

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29295
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Commercial MKC flights!

dev49
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 pm

The final loads for Iceland air have been posted to the BTS website now that the entire running schedule has been posted for 2018

Outbound: 66%
Inbound 69%
Total 67%

13,084 total passengers

Those will probably need to improve this year. But they must have been okay with them if they are adding an extra flight. So that is good.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by normalthings » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 pm

dev49 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 pm
The final loads for Iceland air have been posted to the BTS website now that the entire running schedule has been posted for 2018

Outbound: 66%
Inbound 69%
Total 67%

13,084 total passengers

Those will probably need to improve this year. But they must have been okay with them if they are adding an extra flight. So that is good.
That is around an 80% load factor on the MAX8.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by WoodDraw » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 am

That seems sustainable to me for a seasonal flight on it's first year.

dev49
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:33 am

normalthings wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 pm
dev49 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 pm
The final loads for Iceland air have been posted to the BTS website now that the entire running schedule has been posted for 2018

Outbound: 66%
Inbound 69%
Total 67%

13,084 total passengers

Those will probably need to improve this year. But they must have been okay with them if they are adding an extra flight. So that is good.
That is around an 80% load factor on the MAX8.
Assume they pick up enough passengers to fill the 4th one (so 33% more this year or better over last year)

dev49
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Ran thru the Southwest MAX changes for June.

Boston is cut.
Nashville cut back one monday-friday from 4x to 3x
Denver cut back one monday-friday from 7x to 6x
LAX cut back a Sunday from 3x to 2x.
STL cut back 1x mon-fri and 2x Sun to 3x/1x/1x.

Flights per day:
Monday- Friday 72
Saturday 61
Sunday 74

hartliss
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by hartliss » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:51 am

dev49 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:05 pm
Ran thru the Southwest MAX changes for June.

Boston is cut.
Nashville cut back one monday-friday from 4x to 3x
Denver cut back one monday-friday from 7x to 6x
LAX cut back a Sunday from 3x to 2x.
STL cut back 1x mon-fri and 2x Sun to 3x/1x/1x.

Flights per day:
Monday- Friday 72
Saturday 61
Sunday 74
Interesting that they drop BOS all together. DL's to take now!

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by brewcrew1000 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 am

I am hoping its just for June because I have a Nonstop Boston flight on WN in October

dev49
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 am
I am hoping its just for June because I have a Nonstop Boston flight on WN in October
It is only because of the MAX issues, they should be back by then I would hope. June is gone for those flights and July is zeroed out but still showing. So I would think the August schedule would hold unless it gets delayed more.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by normalthings » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:30 pm

dev49 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 am
I am hoping its just for June because I have a Nonstop Boston flight on WN in October
It is only because of the MAX issues, they should be back by then I would hope. June is gone for those flights and July is zeroed out but still showing. So I would think the August schedule would hold unless it gets delayed more.
Hopefully, we will see a Delta add through the summer.

Post Reply