tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by tower »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:58 am
tower wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:51 am
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:00 am

I think the combination of streetcar + cars + pedestrians makes it too dangerous. You have tracks on the street, stops that will make scooter drivers want to get around, and no space.

I don't understand why anyone would ride a bike down main either. Just go any other street and then cut over.
I would say the same for cars. Why don't we get rid of the on street parking and extend the sidewalk into the road instead? It would solve a lot of conflicts with the streetcar and would further discourage driving on the street.
We have to live in the reality we have, and main would cost an insane amount of money to redo. It's just not feasible.

I am all for road diets on other streets though.
I may be missing something, but I don't think it would neccesarily be any more expensive than any other road. You have work around the streetcar, but you don't have to move it's infrastructure.

Either way, a more effective way to keep riders off main would be to improve biking on streets around grand. Riders are already not supposed to be on the sidewalks, very few follow that rule.

Banning scooter parking on main might also be effective. People probably won't use a street they can't park on.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Summary of some options discussed for Main....

- City enforces sidewalk with fines along Main and maybe other streets that tend to be heavy with pedestrians. 12th St as well? No street restrictions.

- Bird red zones Main through CBD/Xroads but city only enforces sidewalks. This discourages usage along Main (on street) but no fine for riding on street. Riders can park near Main along the nearest cross street intersection.

- City bans scooters/bikes along Main altogether, potential fines.

- Redo Main, no parking, widen sidewalks where possible. Realistic?

- Doing nothing means 15mph riders on busiest downtown sidewalk and run-ins with people at streetcar platform. Jittery riders/peds might tumble off platform. Street riders could also get stuck in track, flip, gets injured (cyclists too for that matter). Streetcar is shutdown for scooter injury.

What else?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Between US and the Plaza there is hardly any on street parking anyway. Mostly, it’s the bus lane which, I assume, would be eliminated with the streetcar? Someone ‘important’ must be complaining about parking for them to keep it instead of having a bike/scooter lane.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Despite Bird adding more scooters (well over 100 total) second week of service, by 3:15PM today (Sat) there were under 30 left on map many with low power, implying heavy usage whether rest out of service or checked out at time.

Several found there way to Plaza area. Hopefully a Midtown/Plaza expansion will come soon, maybe with Lime if not Bird. Lime has bigger batteries/more miles per charge.
Last edited by earthling on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I assumed the blocking would just indicate to people scooting to "avoid riding this area" not parking.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^For the cities that have red zones, the Bird app mostly states... "No Ride or Park Zone. Please do not ride or park Birds on the XYZ Zone." Though I did see a couple that just said do not park Bird in zone and some that just say 'no ride, no nests' zone.

In Dallas, Deep Ellum's main drag is a no ride stretch but doesn't say no parking, it says 'No Ride Zone. No Nests". It's for Elm St only, not rest of area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:53 pm Between US and the Plaza there is hardly any on street parking anyway. Mostly, it’s the bus lane which, I assume, would be eliminated with the streetcar? Someone ‘important’ must be complaining about parking for them to keep it instead of having a bike/scooter lane.
It's as simple as "Main is not in the new bike plan", unfortunately.

As far as I know, no new Bird scooters have been added to KC. Just the original 100.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 pm It's as simple as "Main is not in the new bike plan", unfortunately.

As far as I know, no new Bird scooters have been added to KC. Just the original 100.
I think that is a mistake by Main Street businesses that they will regret in the future. A bike lane will drive future business more than a few parking spots in front of your door. But, I understand the place you’re in. Perhaps best not to create enemies to the good for the sake of pursuing the best. I wish Maincor would push harder for it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 pm
I didn't count all manually but the Bird app map shows 'over 100' right now, started last week. And some may be checked out and Chargers may not be done deploying all (as of 7AM). Seems they did drop off more mid-last week as there is more morning dropoff density in CBD since opening day.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Eric Bunch and Justus will be on KCUR today at 11 talking about the scooters and dockless bikes
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bird offers discounts to people with low incomes, waives $1 fee.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/business/ ... cle/527688
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Lime will be ready to launch within weeks of having an interim operating agreement with KCMO. No such agreement is required for NKC, only a business license.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Had the opportunity to ride a Lime scooter yesterday. Can confirm they are superior to Bird. Faster, more robust feeling, and include a speedometer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Speedometer seems hokey
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 am Speedometer seems hokey
Fair enough, I mean it is a scooter after all. But it was kind of nice to know how fast you were going.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 am Speedometer seems hokey
Having lived with a Lime scooter for about a week, I use the speedometer check speed:

- When going up a hill in traffic
- When walking alongside the scooter (I walk 4mph!)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Any indication if KC will get Lime scooters only or bikes as well?
Last edited by earthling on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Prob used wrong word...it's cool just not sure how useful...but dave just proved it is
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

I wonder if the speedometers may cause people to go faster than they are comfortable with.

Off topic, but I've also wondered the same about cars, particularly on the freeway.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

smh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 am Had the opportunity to ride a Lime scooter yesterday. Can confirm they are superior to Bird. Faster, more robust feeling, and include a speedometer.
Are you saying you can peel out on a Lime?