Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by mean »

Likely a charger location?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If these are replacing walking, wouldn't it be easily and more economical to just buy a scooter for yourself? It looks like they range from 250-500 to purchase
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I thought about getting a collapsible one but then found they are very very high maintenance. Looking at Amazon reviews, many like them until they bust and have high repair costs if even able to get repaired. Some say dead in a month or two, can't return. Are there any local scooter shops with reasonable warranty/maintenance charges?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

After riding these, I am seriously considering buying an electric longboard or something similar. There is a new folding one that would be great for taking on the bus, perfect for first/last mile. https://www.linkyinnovation.com/.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote:Grabbed one after getting off bus this morning and motor wouldn't kick start, acted like breaks were on even though 'unlocked', I heard scooter click to unlock. I finished the ride right a way and gave it a one star rating, it asked why, and clicked the problem. So far it's still showing a charge ($1.15). Will see if it makes it to CC. No issues with other rides.
In was charged on CC, left a message to the Help on app. Just got response that I will get a refund but not to CC, for next ride.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:If these are replacing walking, wouldn't it be easily and more economical to just buy a scooter for yourself? It looks like they range from 250-500 to purchase
It's the same with bikes. Why buy a bike when you need a place to store it on both ends of the trip and then someone steals it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I tried to check out all three of the scooters at Corrigan around 1pm. The app recognized the QR code but wouldn't complete the checkout. Force closed the app and even restarted my phone and it was stuck "unlocking" one of them for well over 10 minutes. It finally released and I think I might have been charged. Crappy experience today.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yesterday (Monday) seemed to maybe be the slowest day of usage but today is thumping. Am seeing quite a few roaming around Xroads/CBD over lunch, map shows under 30 available implying at least 40-50 checked out at once, maybe more. (There were over 70 available in morning.)
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

I rode my first one today. Very fun and faster than I expected.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

This article makes it sound like spin is getting out of bike share nationwide, in favor of scooters:

https://ustatesman.com/spin-bike-share- ... erminated/

I couldn't find any other sources, but I also don't see anything about bikes on spin's site.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Lime started in DC as 100% bike (400 vehicle limit), but has switched at least 95% of them over to scooters.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I rode a Lime scooter yesterday. Much better equipment. It has a speedometer and a LED headlight.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Will Lime be hitting KC soon? And will they target scooters only or bikes as well? Dockless scooters seem less intrusive/messy than dockless bikes and generally more convenient being powered.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bird Chargers not on the ball overnight. Less than 50 in service this morning (8am) and several not picked up, still have low charge.

Real birds typically don't go out when it rains, apparently Bird Catchers don't either.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Reading up on these in other cities, it seems to be a real mismash of sidewalk usage being legal. Austin it is as they fall under personal mobility assistive devices (segways too). They actually allow bikes on most downtown sidewalks (outside of like 6th Street). Other areas like SF it's not legal although a state law might change that.

With our lack of bike lane infrastructure I think k it would be smart to make scooters legal on sidewalks here. I say this as someone that walks probably 95% of my normal day and am very protective of pedestrian access and infrastructure.

There should also be penalties for scooter riders who are unsafe and injury pedestrian.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Have noticed Bird blocks out no ride zones on the map for some cities (in red on map). Main St shouldn't be allowed riding methinks at all, especially through CBD/Xroads. In general not in support of riding on sidewalk (given the 15mph speed) but not enforce if no pedestrian on sidewalk at time. Nearly every downtown street is scooter ridable on street except Main and Broadway, Grand has bike path - can stay off sidewalks. Except for crossing, Main and Broadway should probably be 'red' banned, can easily hop a block over.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think that maybe a good idea....my only concern with blocking off certain streets with ordinance like Austin did is having to go back and managing that list as downtown changes.

can you link to that map you mention...I can't find it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Will Lime be hitting KC soon? And will they target scooters only or bikes as well? Dockless scooters seem less intrusive/messy than dockless bikes and generally more convenient being powered.
Lime was in town this week: http://www.kmbc.com/article/second-elec ... y/22373975

They left one with me (!) to do a few demos.