Ben Roethlisberger in serious Motorcycle accident

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Ben Roethlisberger in serious Motorcycle accident

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash Monday in which he was not wearing a helmet.

Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition following seven hours surgery that ended at approximately 9 p.m. ET, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Mercy Hospital. His condition is not expected to change throughout the evening, Pituch said at a news conference.

"He suffered multiple facial fractures," Pituch said. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired. His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. And there are no other confirmed injuries at this time."

ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, has lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement. A plastic surgeon has been called in.

Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Ben Roethlisberger in serious Motorcycle accident

Post by kcdcchef »

you want to talk about a city in SHOCK, wow, everywhere you went here yesterday everyone was as silent as the grave, freaking out over this.

i have never liked roethlischoker, however, i would not wish this on him or anyone. perhaps, after this, he will get his head out of his ass, wear a helmet, and quit speeding through dt pittsburgh on his bike.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I heard a radio announcer this AM marvelling over a guy who wears a helmet every day to protect himself from linebackers not wearing a helmet to protect himself from pavement.

He's an idiot. One of the reasons for helmet laws. To protect idiots like him.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Social Darwinism at its very finest.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

kcdcchef wrote: ...wear a helmet, and quit speeding through dt pittsburgh on his bike.
Typical bull-sh*t cager attitude - "It’s all the motorcyclist's fault."
I'm callin horsesh*t on this one. 
According to published reports, he was doing all of 35 mph when the accident occurred. The car, pulled out in front of him. The driver apparently "didn't see him", which is the case with most bike-car encounters. Ten times out of ten, the bike loses, as does the rider.

I ride.
I've ridden for close to 35 years. Ya know what scares me the most?  I'm invisible. Cager on the phone - didn't see me. Cage-load of teenage girls - didn't see me. Cager changin lanes - didn't see me. Cagers like you who obviously think, judging by your biased comments, all bikers are breaking the law simply by straddling their scoots and riding down the street. You are part of the problem rather than the solution.

A number of questions come into play here, not withstanding your overriding attitude that Roethlisberger was wrong just for being there, astride a motorcycle. 
How experienced a rider was he?
Had he completed an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class for beginning or advanced riders?
How familiar was he with the specs (capabilities) of his scoot?
Did he have time to react when the car pulled in front of him?

FACT: Roethlisberger is a 24-25 year old man.
FACT: He was doing what a well-paid 24-25 year old man does - havin fun on a bike!
FACT: Shoulda had a lid on. (for a variety of reasons, none relating to helmet laws)
FACT: Cagers need to realize that motorcycles are a part of traffic.
FACT: Closed minded individuals (see above) need to be a little more aware of the facts before editorializing and attempting to pass opinion as fact.

The car driver didn't see him. He lost. Period, the end. 

Sportster
…we’re out there, please be aware.  8) 8) 8)
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Sportster wrote: Typical bull-sh*t cager attitude - "It’s all the motorcyclist's fault."
According to published reports, he was doing all of 35 mph when the accident occurred. The car, pulled out in front of him. The driver apparently "didn't see him", which is the case with most bike-car encounters. Ten times out of ten, the bike loses, as does the rider.

I ride.
I've ridden for close to 35 years. Ya know what scares me the most?  I'm invisible. Cager on the phone - didn't see me. Cage-load of teenage girls - didn't see me. Cager changin lanes - didn't see me. Cagers like you who obviously think, judging by your biased comments, all bikers are breaking the law simply by straddling their scoots and riding down the street. You are part of the problem rather than the solution.

A number of questions come into play here, not withstanding your overriding attitude that Roethlisberger was wrong just for being there, astride a motorcycle. 
Had he completed an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class for beginning or advanced riders?

FACT: He was doing what a well-paid 24-25 year old man does - havin fun on a bike!
FACT: Shoulda had a lid on. (for a variety of reasons, none relating to helmet laws)
FACT: Closed minded individuals (see above) need to be a little more aware of the facts before editorializing and attempting to pass opinion as fact.

Sportster
Get a grip fella-

Looks like he was a squid in more ways than one.

As one of the guys said in this article - "Concrete is undefeated."

Any biker who doesnt' wear a helmet is an idiot plain and simple. But then I guess you are automatically blaming the car.

I'm not exactly naive about motorcycle riders. My son races. He wouldn't leave the driveway without his helmet. It is too much for a mom to watch her son going 180 or so around a track so I try not to think about it a lot.

As far as him being wrong for riding-your first questions should answer that. As far as him riding without a helmet-he's an idiot. And it really doesn't matter where the blame goes-he's the one in the hospital. He's the one who may not play next year. He's the one who must have a mighty toothache.

As near as I can see, there wasnt' a whole lot of damage to his bike which would account for his slow rate of speed. Not much to help him flying off on his head no matter what his speed.

He's an idiot for not wearing a helmet. Not much else matters here.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: He's an idiot for not wearing a helmet. Not much else matters here.
So a car pulled out in front of him and nothing else matters, he is the idiot?  He should have been wearing a helmet, but that hardly seems to be the end of the story.  He wouldn'e have needed that helmet had the car not pulled out in front of him.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Sportster wrote: Typical bull-sh*t cager attitude - "It’s all the motorcyclist's fault."

I ride.

Sportster
according to the police report, close to 40.

number two, dt pittsburgh is 25, not 35

number three, the eyewitnesses said he had NO regard for the oncoming motorists.

i do not ride. i have friends who do. they all agree this dickwad should wear a helmet, as should anyone on a crotch rocket.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock&load wrote: So a car pulled out in front of him and nothing else matters, he is the idiot?  He should have been wearing a helmet, but that hardly seems to be the end of the story.  He wouldn'e have needed that helmet had the car not pulled out in front of him.
I'll wait for the police report to see who was "at fault" and "the end of the story" however, he's an idiot for not wearing a helmet. I'm betting the driver of the car isnt' in the hospital this AM no matter whose "fault" the crash was. Safety equipment is safety equipment. It is made for a reason. It is worn for a reason. "Concrete is undefeated."

This guy's negligence took up valuable time from all kinds of people.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: I'm betting the driver of the car isnt' in the hospital this AM no matter whose "fault" the crash was.
Well no shit.  The semi truck driver the plowed into the back out the four old ladies car on I-70, killing them all, escaped unhurt as well.  What is your point?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think the point is that accidents happen. Expect it, always. Prepare for the inevitability. If you don't protect yourself--by wearing a helmet, or a seatbelt, or whatever--then you must accept responsibility if you sustain injuries that could have been prevented, regardless of who caused the crash.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock&load wrote: Well no shit.  The semi truck driver the plowed into the back out the four old ladies car on I-70, killing them all, escaped unhurt as well.  What is your point?
don't curse at me. Your limited vocabulary is hilarious though. My point is the same as it was in all my other posts on this topic. He's an idiot for not wearing his helmet.

Pointing fingers isn't going to make his injuries any less.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: don't curse at me. Your limited vocabulary is hilarious though. My point is the same as it was in all my other posts on this topic. He's an idiot for not wearing his helmet.

Pointing fingers isn't going to make his injuries any less.

My limited vocabulary?  I don't even understand your affinity for helmets, what with your two foot thick skull.  Do you think emergency crews would not have been called had he been wearing a helmet?  As for the time he is taking up now, he can more than afford to pay the bill, so I don't see the problem.  I agree he should have been wearing a helmet, but your vilification of a man you don't know because he wasn't wearing a helmet is a bit extreme.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock&load wrote: As for the time he is taking up now, he can more than afford to pay the bill, so I don't see the problem.  I agree he should have been wearing a helmet, but your vilification of a man you don't know because he wasn't wearing a helmet is a bit extreme.
So, the elitism that comes from rich athletes should shield him from any responsibility towards not using services unnecessarily by personal choice? "he can more than afford to pay the bill?"

I wonder if he will pay the bill for anyone who might have needed the emergency crews while they were on his wreck? How about those who were late for work because he backed up traffic? How about those who might have needed the emergency room when he was there. Or those who needed surgery but who may have been "bumped" because he was perceived as more important? Or the young kids who might try to emulate him? Among other things................

Just to clarify-anyone who doesnt' wear a helmet on a motorcycle is an idiot. Not just Ben.

but I fail to see how my vilification of BR for not wearing a helmet or your vilification of the driver of the car (who I assume you don't know) are any different. Perhaps you can explain.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I'm not vilifying anyone.  If the driver was at fault, he needs to bear considerable responsibility.  There are many protective devices out there, many choose not to use them.  He should have been wearing a helmet.  He is stupid for not having worn it.  But that is not the only factor to consider in this situation.

As for the time of any medical personnel or commuters that was used--that is what it is there for.  Do you have evidence that the hospital he was taken to was at capacity and others were "bumped" to make way?  If not, don't speculate.  As I said, an ambulance would have been dispatched whether he had a helmet on or not.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock&load wrote: I'm not vilifying anyone.  If the driver was at fault, he needs to bear considerable responsibility.  There are many protective devices out there, many choose not to use them.  He should have been wearing a helmet.   He is stupid for not having worn it.  But that is not the only factor to consider in this situation.
Yes, it is the only factor I'm considering in this incident.
As for the time of any medical personnel or commuters that was used--that is what it is there for.  Do you have evidence that the hospital he was taken to was at capacity and others were "bumped" to make way?  If not, don't speculate.  As I said, an ambulance would have been dispatched whether he had a helmet on or not.
I guess you havent' read many of the news reports.

Did you read that he didnt' have a valid motorcycle license?

That is a problem with many RUBs. They go out and buy waaaay more bike than they can handle and then they go out and act like an idiot.
Last edited by nota on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I see he got a ticket for no license and a ticket for no helmet. (No helmet laws are for licensed bikers in PA)

The car driver got a ticket for failure to yield.

But Ben's head still hurts.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

nota wrote:

I guess you havent' read many of the news reports.

he only reads stories that support his point of view. that, and NOTHING more.