Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Post Reply
earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4619
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by earthling » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:36 am

Google doesn't always use official/commonly accepted names for Maps and it fumes/confuses some residents. And sometimes the names given become accepted broadly...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/ar ... 130850.php

KC's urban core looks generally correct but some South KC and E Side areas have GMap names I've never heard of. Remember when Google Fiber setup Fiberhoods in KC? Some of them seemed made up.

Is your neighborhood incorrectly/oddly named in Maps?
https://www.google.com/maps

mykn
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by mykn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:31 am

Ours is called broadway-Gillham which I believe is the older name for it, but I prefer it over being associated with the dumpster fire of our current neighborhood of old Hyde park.

User avatar
Critical_Mass
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by Critical_Mass » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Is 'Forgotten Homes' (just east of Paseo West) real?
No one calls the riverfront 'Columbus Park Industrial'

An aside: I would like broad acceptance of 'The Hills', which is what I call the area incorporating the neighborhoods of Hospital Hill, Beacon Hill, Longfellow (Dutch Hill), and Union Hill.

User avatar
WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3383
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by WSPanic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:53 pm

The "Midtown Westport" neighborhood in the Roanoke/Volker area seems a bit off.

There is no Midtown designation anywhere. It looks like the area from Main to Gillham and 31st to Armour is lacking a name. That is an area I refer to as Midtown.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by flyingember » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:01 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:53 pm
The "Midtown Westport" neighborhood in the Roanoke/Volker area seems a bit off.

There is no Midtown designation anywhere. It looks like the area from Main to Gillham and 31st to Armour is lacking a name. That is an area I refer to as Midtown.
You would be on the extreme small size for that definition of midtown. Remember that midtown is a collection of neighborhoods so it shouldn’t show up if you’re seeing neighborhood names.

The western line is state line and the northern line is 31st.
The most northern southern line is to stop at 39th while some take it to 47th. On the east it’s Troost usually but The Paseo or 71 are sometimes used. There’s multiple pages on this subject somewhere on this site about how midtown as a term is flexible. I’ve seen Waldo included in midtown by some people as an extreme example.

Your empty space is Broadway Gillham
Last edited by flyingember on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by flyingember » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Critical_Mass wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:30 pm
Is 'Forgotten Homes' (just east of Paseo West) real?
No one calls the riverfront 'Columbus Park Industrial
Forgotten Homes is 9th to I-70, Brooklyn to Woodland.

Years ago I found an old PDF that has 240 neighborhoods from before much of the northland Shoal Creek development. It’s very useful for south of the river neighborhood identification since it marks street boundaries perfectly

Columbus Park Industrial is the official name. The usable riverfront is split between two neighborhoods, it’s not a neighborhood name.

See if this link works to get a copy of it

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1yGW ... 01XTXYyaXM

mykn
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by mykn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:15 pm

flyingember wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:01 pm
WSPanic wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:53 pm
The "Midtown Westport" neighborhood in the Roanoke/Volker area seems a bit off.

There is no Midtown designation anywhere. It looks like the area from Main to Gillham and 31st to Armour is lacking a name. That is an area I refer to as Midtown.
You would be on the extreme small size for that definition of midtown. Remember that midtown is a collection of neighborhoods so it shouldn’t show up if you’re seeing neighborhood names.

The western line is state line and the northern line is 31st.
The most northern southern line is to stop at 39th while some take it to 47th. On the east it’s Troost usually but The Paseo or 71 are sometimes used. There’s multiple pages on this subject somewhere on this site about how midtown as a term is flexible. I’ve seen Waldo included in midtown by some people as an extreme example.

Your empty space is Broadway Gillham
Kind of, some of Broadway Gillham also was absorbed by other neighborhoods. It’s a cluster fuck.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4619
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by earthling » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:46 am

Any new GMap neighborhood names for KC that are now commonly accepted or used by realtors?

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3415
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: South Plaza

Re: Google Maps renames neighborhoods, residents fume

Post by chingon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:12 am

flyingember wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:07 pm
It’s very useful for south of the river neighborhood identification since it marks street boundaries perfectly
Yuck. That’s antithetical to the idea of a neighborhood to me. A neighborhood is supposed to be nebulous, malleable, and subject to the whim of an ill-defined, possibly chimerical, popular consensus.

Post Reply