Residential Permit Parking

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Residential Permit Parking

Post by kcjak »

Hoping to get some feedback on something that has become an increasingly touchy issue in my neighborhood recently. I live in the Volker neighborhood, generally the area around 39th St West between State Line and SW Trafficway. Several years ago the residents on Bell St between 39th and 40th implemented a residential parking permit system in an effort to prevent KU Hospital employees, patients and visitors from clogging the streets every day. At one neighborhood association meeting, we were told that KU requires employees to pay for parking and even with that, there are days where it is estimated that there four times more vehicles than available paid parking spaces.

If you don't have a permit, you can only park on the street for 2 hours between 8-5 Mon-Fri. Permits are available to residents and cost $10 per year, with guest passes available for free or a very minimal fee. Because of the recent construction and expansion at the hospital, construction workers, employees, students, etc. have fewer places to park on the Kansas side and are parking all the way over to Terrace. So residents are in the process of establishing a new parking restricted area on Wyoming and Terrace. KU has also recently started a satellite parking location at the Loretto and Center for Spiritual Living lots during the day, with shuttle buses running constantly. When I leave for work or come home a the end of the day Roanoke Rd is at a total gridlock from the traffic.

I want to get the parking restrictions pushed further to the east, but residents are complaining that they are being forced to pay for free parking. Also, parking control rarely patrols the area so it's not like the restrictions are enforced daily, but are probably more of a deterrent than anything. What are your thoughts on restricted parking in general and in the Volker neighborhood specifically?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Residential Permit Parking

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Install parking meters.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak wrote:I want to get the parking restrictions pushed further to the east, but residents are complaining that they are being forced to pay for free parking. Also, parking control rarely patrols the area so it's not like the restrictions are enforced daily, but are probably more of a deterrent than anything. What are your thoughts on restricted parking in general and in the Volker neighborhood specifically?
free for everyone, introduce restrictions/permits, or install meters. the alternative to any of these is expensive (and subsidized) garage construction. do you want to live next to a parking garage? okay, no one else does either. go back to sentence one and hash it out again.

meters have a self-enforcing effect. getting them on 39th first would be a good start. the city is doing a demo of multi-space meters -- they take up less space -- starting downtown very soon.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I know folks that work there that go out and move their cars every two hours due to the restrictions.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WSPanic wrote:I know folks that work there that go out and move their cars every two hours due to the restrictions.
which is why time restrictions are just a band-aid. this happens downtown/crossroads, too.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Time restrictions work best when parking will be full the entire time so someone moving needs to move a notable distance. It stops working when someone starts being gone so long their boss complains.