The Aesthetic of the Streetscape

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

The Aesthetic of the Streetscape

Post by FangKC »

The lost art of retail store window displays. I think one of the things that makes a city attractive, interesting, and livable is the lost art and function of store window design on the street environment.

If you have a lot of window displays of various kinds, and activity going on inside the establishment, it will encourage pedestrians to walk surprisingly long distances. I know that when I lived in New York City, I could walk 20 blocks without thinking about it if there was enough interesting street activity and displays in windows.

In Greater Downtown Kansas City, the establishments that at least try (that come to mind) are River Market Antiques, Planters Lawn & Garden, Michael's Fine Clothes, and Kansas City Costume.

I encourage everyone to contribute to this thread showing interesting store windows, and retail establishments that make the street a better environment, or try and make a creative use of the street in front of their building.

photos: Scott Saraceno (http://www.scottsaraceno.com)

SUI GENERIS Consignment Boutique is in San Francisco.