Boston Marathon bombing

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Boston Marathon bombing

Post by KCMax »

Explosions rock finish of Boston Marathon; 2 killed and at least 23 hurt, police say

2 dead, 23 hurt. Reports of people losing limbs. Police later detonated a third bomb in a controlled setting.

KCians Greg Hall, Yael Abouhalkah and Ramsey Mohsen were all in the race and are thankfully okay. Just utterly disturbing situation.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Boston Marathon bombing

Post by AllThingsKC »

Very good and detailed photos here (though some are a tad graphic):

http://deadspin.com/explosions-reported ... socialflow
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Police reportedly detonated 2 bombs they found.

NY Post reports they have someone in custody, but they're not the most reliable source.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Reports of a 3rd explosion at the JFK Library (which is in Boston).

This is on purpose. This is serious.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:Police reportedly detonated 2 bombs they found.

NY Post reports they have someone in custody, but they're not the most reliable source.
CBS also tweeted that, tho I don't know who is quoting who.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

RE: the 3rd explosion @ JFK Library

NPR reporting it is likely a controlled explosion as officers were warning people another explosion would be occuring- it is unclear if they found a suspicious bag or actual explosives and detonated it.
Last edited by kboish on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:Reports of a 3rd explosion at the JFK Library (which is in Boston).

This is on purpose. This is serious.
I've read tweets that the director said its an unrelated fire, but that the Boston PD are treating it like an explosion for now just to be certain.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Police Commish was live on CNN saying the JFK incident was a third bomb (and that they were "treating them [the incidents] like they are related", and that a third explosion near the finish line was the controlled detonation of an unconfirmed explosive device. Didn't say anything about having anyone in custody.

Word is at least 100 casualties now.

Pretty clearly a terrorist attack. Given the locations targeted (assuming the JFK library was an actual target) I'd tend to lean toward anti-government domestic perpetrators.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Considering B Marathon attracts people from all over country and world, seems terrorists would particularly target this more than a disgruntled person.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Post is reporting a Saudi national is under arrest. Again, its the Post. EDIT: Boston Police deny the story. http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... en-made-in

Reports of surveillance footage showing a man dropping backpacks into trashcans.

Boston Police now saying the JFK Library fire is unrelated.

Cell service shut down in Boston to prevent further detonations. Logan Airport shut down. Bruins game tonight postponed obviously.

Some Newtown families were in the VIP section. Ugh, how awful.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

There was also a Boston Red Sox game going on at the time of the explosions, for what it's worth.
mean wrote:Word is at least 100 casualties now.
I'm hearing only 2 casualties (expected to be more), with over 100 injured.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AllThingsKC wrote:There was also a Boston Red Sox game going on at the time of the explosions, for what it's worth.
Casualties = injured persons. Dead = Deaths.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Google, using their powers for good: http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/
shinatoo wrote:Casualties = injured persons. Dead = Deaths.
I knew that. I see what he means now. I didn't read his post carefully enough, so I misunderstood what he was actually saying.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

AllThingsKC wrote:There was also a Boston Red Sox game going on at the time of the explosions, for what it's worth.
It sounds like people from the Red Sox game were starting to head over to the finish line as they do traditionally (side note: this is the only morning game they have all year). Thankfully the game was close, so hopefully too many didn't leave early.

Also hearing reports of runners keeping on and running all the way to a hospital a couple miles away to donate blood. Not sure if that's true, but if so, it's awesome.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The Red Sox always play an 11am game on Patriot's Day, then many people wander from the game into Back Bay to watch the runners finish. Today's game got out +/- 45mins prior to the explosion. Plenty of time to make the mile or so walk from Fenway to the finish line.

Edit: Also, what Longview said.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, police have retracted the JFK bombing.

Still leaning toward domestic, just given the scale, but it could be anyone. I would have expected AQ to make bigger, more sophisticated bombs, but they certainly could be going more discrete / small scale.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

mean wrote:Still leaning toward domestic, just given the scale, but it could be anyone. I would have expected AQ to make bigger, more sophisticated bombs, but they certainly could be going more discrete / small scale.
That is my hypothesis as well. It is amazing something like this hasn't happened until now (though Times Square guy was caught), but it could also show that our scary surveillance programs may actually work for anyone involved in a large-scale network. Tax day and Boston sounds more like it could be an American wacko, but obviously the speculation is just that.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It would be irresponsible for media to speculate who did this with no info yet but there are terrorist analysts out there saying this method is inline with organized terrorists more than disgruntled locals. Would think if the intent was to kill as many as possible, a train or entrance to Red Sox game would do more damage. Anti-tax/govt extremists would go after an IRS center or govt location, not general Americans. A terrorist who wants to impact as many different Americans from everywhere (and perhaps capitalist world) can harm more variety of people at this kind of event.

You'd think know matter who did it (attention seekers) would make a claim by now - maybe they have but hasn't been released to/by media.

http://news.discovery.com/human/who-is- ... 130415.htm
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Tax Day and "Patriots' Day" in Boston seem like a couple obvious possible domestic links. The international nature of the event wouldn't seem to make it a prime target for locals, though.

Let the conspiracy theories begin! If it turns out to be an anti-government domestic terrorist, the anti-government crowd will just say he was a plant so the government would have an excuse to crack down on them. If it turns out to be an international terror attack, the anti-government crowd will just say it was carried out on Obama's orders as part of the overarching plot to destroy America and take our guns away.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Lawmakers suggest terrorist attack, doesn't specifically say foreign but implies inline with organized terrorism.

http://news.findlaw.com/apnews-lp/aa34b ... 5b0cf05bd8
"My understanding is that it's a terrorist incident," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee. She told reporters she had been in contact with U.S. intelligence agencies and they reported no..