Gay marriage

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Gay marriage

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:
KCMax wrote: Could Kansas and Missouri ever be as progressive as Utah and Oklahoma?

I've been meaning to ask this question. Does anyone know of a similar case wending its way through Missouri courts? I've not heard of one, but I also feel like we wouldn't necessarily hear of it until it was on appeal.
maybe at some point

a group to fight for gay marriage will grow more organized and get more precedent. states one at a time will be forced to permit gay marriage on their own using the strong case made in other states. like most laws some states will take way longer than the rest.

more the domino effect than any single big event. small changes are the norm in politics.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote:
KCMax wrote: Could Kansas and Missouri ever be as progressive as Utah and Oklahoma?

I've been meaning to ask this question. Does anyone know of a similar case wending its way through Missouri courts? I've not heard of one, but I also feel like we wouldn't necessarily hear of it until it was on appeal.
Not that I'm aware of. My understanding is that the language of some states' anti-marriage bills/amendments makes them more vulnerable to court overturn than others. Maybe Missouri's is written better, though honestly I would be surprised if that was the case.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote:
smh wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. My understanding is that the language of some states' anti-marriage bills/amendments makes them more vulnerable to court overturn than others. Maybe Missouri's is written better, though honestly I would be surprised if that was the case.
Got it. FWIW, Here is Missouri's:
"That to be valid and recognized in this state, a marriage shall exist only between a man and a woman."
And Oklahoma's:
"(a.) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman. Neither this Constitution nor any other provision of law shall be construed to require that marital status or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon unmarried couples or groups.
(b.) A marriage between persons of the same gender performed in another state shall not be recognized as valid and binding in this state as of the date of the marriage.
(c.) Any person knowingly issuing a marriage license in violation of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."
And Utah's:
1. Marriage consists only of the legal union between a man and a woman.
2. No other domestic union, however denominated, may be recognized as a marriage or given the same or substantially equivalent legal effect.
Analyzing the strength of Missouri's amendment is somewhat beyond my abilities--but it certainly is the most succinct of the three examples.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This post at Slate talks a bit about why judge ruling in OK has a reasoning that is pretty crafty and could put this back in the lap of the SCOTUS. He's basically calling out SCOTUS saying "you've pretty much done everything to legalize gay marriage EXCEPT explicitly say gay marriage is a constitutional right. So you need to decide how you feel about that, or else we're going to interpret your trend towards gay rights as acceptance of gay marriage."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

An Arkansas circuit court judge strikes down ban on gay marriage there.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/arka ... 3663065GAY
Federal judges have ruled against marriage bans in Michigan, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and Texas, and ordered Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee to recognize same-sex marriages from other states.
The same sex marriage ban in Oklahoma is before the US Court of Appeals, and many think it will be struck down, since it's similar to the Utah ban, which was overturned by a federal judge.

Kentucky and Tennesee have been ordered to recognize same sex marriages performed in other states.
Seventeen states and the District of Columbia allow same-sex marriage within its borders: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. Just a decade ago, there were none.

A federal appeals court last month heard challenges to same-sex marriage bans in Utah and Oklahoma. Appeals courts in coming weeks and months will hear similar challenges over current bans in Nevada, Texas, Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan, including Virginia next Tuesday.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/09/us/arkans ... ?hpt=po_c2

Missouri may soon be surrounded by states that allow same sex marriage, or soon will: Illiinois, Iowa, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kentucky.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that states must allow gay couples to marry, finding the Constitution protects same-sex relationships and putting a remarkable legal winning streak across the country one step closer to the U.S. Supreme Court.
The decision by the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel upheld a lower court ruling that struck down Utah's gay marriage ban. It becomes law in the six states covered by the 10th Circuit: Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming. But the panel immediately put the ruling on hold pending an appeal.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-w ... 14938.html
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

smh wrote: I've been meaning to ask this question. Does anyone know of a similar case wending its way through Missouri courts? I've not heard of one, but I also feel like we wouldn't necessarily hear of it until it was on appeal.
sounds like mayor slay is trying to tee up a state lawsuit, which chris koster is begrudgingly obliging. the ACLU filed a MO lawsuit this year but i can't remember if it's state or federal.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I believe a challenge to ND's same sex ban was filed a few weeks ago.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:Image

Not sure why the mapmaker thought it was important to note that Alaska and Hawaii are not to scale.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote:

Not sure why the mapmaker thought it was important to note that Alaska and Hawaii are not to scale.

Also do not understand why the legend indicates that the ban has been ruled unconstitutional in 7 states, but the tan color indicated for this legend grouping has been applied to 8 states.

edit: Mistakes have been made. Time to call it a week. Nurse Rachel, cancel my remaining surgeries, put on something tight and please make two, shaken not stirred............
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

chaglang wrote:

You have to add that because otherwise Texans will continue to say they are the largest state in the USA. I blame poor schools for this. :D
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Hey, who can you blame if the textbooks are wrong?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Federal judge declares Kansas same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional
Same-sex couples cannot get their licenses just yet, however. Crabtree said his injunction would not take effect until 5 p.m. Nov. 11. It could take effect sooner if state lawyers tell him they will not appeal his order to the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver, Crabtree wrote.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Judge rules gay marriage ban in Missouri is unconstitutional.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/judge-rules-mi ... l/29564746
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Jackson County is now issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMax wrote:Jackson County is now issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
first one already issued. go, go gays!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/us/same-s ... ?hpt=hp_t2
Gay marriage ban ruled upheld with possible review by Supreme Court.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Weird. The sky is located in the same place it was yesterday.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang wrote:
Weird. The sky is located in the same place it was yesterday.
I also find my heterosexual marriage has not yet fallen apart. Do I give it another day, or when is this supposed to happen?