Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Politics

Post by AllThingsKC »

So he gave his "I am not a crook" speech then resigned. Hmmm... Where there's smoke...
KC is the way to be!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

This has probably already been covered, but just learning that Greitens studied ethics, philosophy, and public policy at Duke and was an adjunct professor of business ethics in the MBA program at the Olin School of Business at Washington University in St. Louis. I now have zero faith in ethics courses.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Nah. Some people study the law so they can know how to break it...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

According to this, KC metro ranks only slightly above average for voter registration. Click on Map/List button then sort by Registered...

http://ava.prri.org/#politics/2017/Metr ... ter_status

KC metro ranks below US avg for GOP and DEM identity and way above avg for Independent identity. Click Map/List then sort by any column...
http://ava.prri.org/#politics/2017/MetroAreas/party
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Just checking in again, are we still giving him a chance or do we have an opinion about building concentration camps for children
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't like the sound of these here boncentration bamps.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It's going to get messy before the implosion.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I like where the economy is headed, if it keeps up.
KC is the way to be!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Isn't it just headed in the same direction it's been headed for the past eight years? I mean I guess the trade war is new.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

This fall will be an interesting time. Do the GOP candidates start running away from Trump if they are losing their races for the Senate and House? So many have tied themselves to Trump, been in OK and so many of the candidates running for office say a vote for them is a vote for Trump. And with the primaries they say they are more Trump than their opponent.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I've seen several news stories saying the economy is the best it's been in decades. If the economy was headed up over the last 8 years, then it has really improved over the last year and a half.

While the economy is better than it's been over the previous 8 years, I do wonder how strong it is. If it's just one crazy Trump tweet away from tanking, then it doesn't really matter how good it looks now.
KC is the way to be!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The economy is also (again) top heavy in its growth. No wage growth, big stock buy backs.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Most of the credit a president deserves for a good economy (and this was true of Clinton in the 90s and Obama more recently as well) is just that he didn't get in the way. But that being said, if we're gonna credit the guy who happened to be president at the time, it's silly to look at the headline economic numbers or a news article telling you "the economy is the best it's been in decades" and conclude that "it has really improved," relative to how it was improving before, under Trump. You might not have scaled Everest until you've reached the top, but the first 29,000 feet are probably a tougher slog than the last 30.

And all of this raises the question whether 0.9 points shaved off the unemployment rate and 500 more points on the S&P are worth this or this or this. Is it?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It's rarely a bad thing to have more people employed and fewer criminals on the streets.
KC is the way to be!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Yeah I mean sometimes I'm just hypercritical but I have to admit I do feel safer now that crying six year olds are in prison and high school students are being sent to Mexico to be murdered
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

We are a society of laws. Breaking the law has consequences. In each link you posted, someone had broken a law or multiple laws.
KC is the way to be!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Did you learn that from Bull Connor?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

No.
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:I've seen several news stories saying the economy is the best it's been in decades. If the economy was headed up over the last 8 years, then it has really improved over the last year and a half.

While the economy is better than it's been over the previous 8 years, I do wonder how strong it is. If it's just one crazy Trump tweet away from tanking, then it doesn't really matter how good it looks now.
The economy was heading up the last two years of Obama's presidency too. I think in his last year, the stock market was as high as it ever had been high. It's been eclipsed since, but it's just following the same trend. The only thing that Trump did to strengthen the economy relative to his predecessors was dropping the US corporate tax rate which was, at the time, the highest in the world. That had an immediate impact on the stock market (and on my paycheck too). That said, I think the market is overheated and I'm seriously considering converting some assets to cash for the time being. Also, I think Trump's efforts to bring back long-gone industries in the US like steel by starting trade wars is going backfire with some potentially serious repercussions which unfortunately will be felt first in the midwest.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

It's weird how, in a country whose foundational story lionizes dudes who decided that they weren't happy with the laws that applied to them, people nonetheless think "he broke the law" is sufficient cause for any amount of injustice inflicted in response.