Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Does the tax bill put the earnings tax at risk?

Post by Highlander »

Now that state and local tax deductions will be capped at $10,000?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Does the tax bill put the earnings tax at risk?

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote:Now that state and local tax deductions will be capped at $10,000?
Not payroll deductions, federal income tax form deductions. Being a federal tax code change it only affects what someone does on their federal taxes.

This is a close description
Currently, taxpayers can deduct what they pay in state and local property, income, and sales taxes from their federal returns. The new law caps these deductions—which can be any combination of property, income, and sales taxes—at $10,000.
Mortgage taxes are local of course, sales taxes for cars are too. Thus why they qualify.

There's a standard deduction of $12k but some people likely go way over this, like if they own a first home in a coastal area with crazy taxes. Or if they're in a zero sales tax state with a high income tax I can see this applying.

For KC residents, it would be people making 6 figures annually.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Does the tax bill put the earnings tax at risk?

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote:
Highlander wrote:Now that state and local tax deductions will be capped at $10,000?
Not payroll deductions, federal income tax form deductions. Being a federal tax code change it only affects what someone does on their federal taxes.

For KC residents, it would be people making 6 figures annually.
Well my point was that if people do not get to deduct their state and local taxes, potentially fewer would be in favor of continuing an earning tax since it would no longer be deductible (if that 10,000$ deduction was already met). A 100,000$ salary would not put you over for state tax plus earning tax but include property taxes and many more will get to that point.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Politics

Post by Riverite »

Did anyone see the blackmail allegation and the confirmed affair against Greitens, I can't really figure out what's going down. If they prove the blackmail it's a felony right?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

At least his penchant for extreme secrecy in communication makes sense now...he's had a lot of practice at it.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I for one am stunned to learn that Greitens is a snake, I never saw it coming
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Former Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders pleads guilty in federal court to wire fraud and misusing campaign money.

http://www.kmbc.com/article/former-jack ... t/15894172
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:Former Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders pleads guilty in federal court to wire fraud and misusing campaign money.

http://www.kmbc.com/article/former-jack ... t/15894172

About as dumb-fuck of a situation as they come.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No kidding. WTF was he thinking?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

grovester wrote:No kidding. WTF was he thinking?
Probably something like, "There's no way I'll get caught for this."
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

They banality of the scheme is astounding. Go big or go home!
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Anyone else read the "memo"? I read it and it is hard for me to find a lot of issues with the FBI/Justice dept from it. It sounds like a lot of flame bait. Maybe there is bias, but either way there are still issues raised that have to be investigated and it seems to be a constant theme with the Trump campaign. While the memo does state multiple times the dossier was funded by DNC, it seems to forget that it was initiated by a Republican. Even if the dossier and Carter Page are removed from the mix, there is still a lot going on with Manafort, Flynn, and Popadopolous. Anyone else have a different take on it? Fox News seems to think this is the Holy Grail to ending the Russia investigation, I just don't see it.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The memo was written by staffers for Devin fucking Nunes, the same weasel that went scurrying to the back door of the white house in the middle of the night to keep Trump informed about what was being presented to confidential committee hearings back in March. He couldn't get it to stick then, so he's repackaged it along with a stealth marketing campaign #releasethememo that has actually been amplified by Russian hackers.

Wagging the dog. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't work with the public.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Memo = Nothingburger
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If the House, and maybe the Senate, turn Democratic with the 2018 elections the GOP and the President will see these committees come to different conclusions. Those in power always forget about the paybacks they receive when they are no longer in power.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Reading an article that says the Tea Party is dead and the deficit hawks are no more. Reasons being the recent tax reform package that increased the deficit and the just passed agreement to keep the government running that increases the funds for the military and domestic programs.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, similar conclusions were discussed on MSNBC's Morning Joe program about the death of the tea party--at least on the national level. I think there is still influence though in many state legislatures.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Personally I'm not sure if the tea party was ever truly about the deficit
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Riverite wrote:Personally I'm not sure if the tea party was ever truly about the deficit
Bingo. The Tea Party will be back in force (perhaps under another name, who knows) the next time there is a Dem president (especially if that president is, again, not white).
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Greitens has been indicted