Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Politics

Post by FangKC »

phuqueue wrote: There is a very big difference between refugees going to where their sponsor organizations are, and refugees going to wherever the federal government tells them they have to go. Plenty of people (even citizens!) don't have a "choice," in any meaningful sense of the word, about where they live, for any number of reasons -- but none of those reasons are, "because the feds said so." You are welcome to post as many examples as you want of whatever you want, but unless any of them show the federal government saying "Bob must live in Rochester or leave the country," which is what you're proposing, I'm not sure how persuasive they'll be. And hey, if you do have such an example then maybe you'll prove me wrong in my doubts that the federal government can exercise this power, but still not about whether or not they ought to.
Other forum participants, please accept my apology for hijacking this thread.

How are policies and proposals limiting immigration to those with STEM backgrounds not attempts to achieve national economic goals? And I'm not proposing that. I said earlier that we should accept unskilled immigrants too.

OMG, look at this. An immigration policy that is tied to national economic goals:
USCIS administers the EB-5 program, created by Congress in 1990 to stimulate the U.S. economy through job creation and capital investment by foreign investors. Under a program initially enacted as a pilot in 1992, and regularly reauthorized since then, investors may also qualify for EB-5 classification by investing through regional centers designated by USCIS based on proposals for promoting economic growth. On March 23, 2018, the President signed Public Law 115-141 extending the Regional Center Program through Sep. 30, 2018.
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-s ... sification

How is extending visas to foreign-born doctors who serve in rural hospitals not attempting to achieve national goals? The same for Filipino nurses, who have at times in our history been given work visas to work in the US, not solving a national problem? They were allowed to come here to solve a need our country had.

Are you even aware that 25% of the physicians in this country are foreign-born and often here on work visas. They work in rural areas -- often places no American doctors want to be. They do this in exchange for the hope that someday they may be allowed to apply for citizenship. Their employers sponsor their work visas, and yes, if they accept the job, they have to live in a specific place as a condition of their work visa. They cannot accept a job working as a doctor in a hospital in Duluth, Minnesota, and then just decide they would rather settle in sunny Miami. Sure, they could do this, but they would be in violation of the temporary work visa, which could then be rescinded and they could face deportation.
H-1B recipients also include foreign physicians who practice in places shunned by American doctors for personal and professional reasons.

More than 25% of all physicians practicing or training in the United States are foreign, but in some inner cities and most rural areas, that share is significantly higher.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/us/d ... olicy.html

Over 20% of nurses and nurse aides in the USA are foreign-born.

https://www.vox.com/2017/2/1/14470746/t ... re-doctors
Compared with US-trained physicians, foreign doctors are also more likely to practice in areas where there are doctor shortages — in particular, in rural areas. (Many enter the US on visas that allowed them to stay if they work in an underserved area for three years after residency.) They’re also more likely to serve poor patients on Medicaid, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found.
See what that quote says--meaning that they usually don't get to choose to live where they want. It's a condition of their work visa. They go where the job is offered.

We already do make immigration choices to serve national goals. It is in no way "nasty" to suggest that we shouldn't. To suggest otherwise is naive.

Foreign-born doctors and nurses often accept specific conditions to get a temporary work visa before they are admitted to the USA. The work visa is conditional on them working in rural counties or hospitals. So in essence, the federal government is telling them where they will live and work. OMG, call the police!

https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topics/ ... -graduates
Many rural communities recruit foreign medical graduates with J-1 visa waivers to fill physician vacancies. The Conrad State 30 Program allows each state's health department to request J-1 Visa Waivers for up to 30 foreign physicians per year. The physicians must agree to work in a federally designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) or Medically Underserved Area (MUA).
OMG, other countries also consider accomplishing economic goals through immigration policy!

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/p ... ooklet.pdf

How do I know these things? I've worked in health care administration and government. I worked with foreign-born medical personnel who were here on temporary work visas, and who told me that they didn't get to choose where they wanted to live. They went where the job was offered, and they had to fulfill the conditions of the visa to stay in the country. They were willing to do this to eventually become US citizens. OMG! What a concept!

You appear to be completely uninformed on this issue; yet completely willing to make me seem somehow inhumane for mentioning policies that our country has already be utilizing for years. Perhaps you should gather the names of all our elected leaders, who have endorsed these policies, and present them to the International Court in The Hague for prosecution.

Our country already has other ways for some immigrants to "earn" their citizenship: serving in our military. So we already have a precedent established that allows the federal government to grant citizenship--giving immigrants a choice to earn citizenship through a sacrifice of some type, or through service to our national goals. Oh, btw, these foreign nationals whom enter our military to earn citizenship DON"T GET TO DECIDE where they will live while they are in the military! Who knew!

How do I know this? I worked with foreign-born doctors who became citizens by joining our military, and working in military hospitals.

If you go read ALL of my posts on refugees and immigration, I think it's fair to say I'm hardly nasty. I am advocating we increase immigration, and accept more refugees.

OMG, here is an example of natural-born US citizens accepting certain conditions for the benefit of our national goals: students getting free tuition for medical school if they serve in the military. This often means they don't get decide where they live for several years. Oh, the humanity! Let's get the United Nations human rights division looking into this.
The university's medical school doesn't charge tuition; rather, its students are commissioned officers in the U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army or U.S. Navy, and they earn an annual salary. According to the school's website, its students earn more than $60,000 per year during their four years of medical school, and in return, they commit to at least seven years of active-duty service after graduation.
Here's another one!
Types of Health Education Financial Aid

Scholarships, loans, and loan forgiveness programs are all potential options for health professions students to pay for their education. Scholarships offer money without a requirement to repay and loans supply funding that students repay after completion of a degree program; loan forgiveness programs are a hybrid of the two.

Loan forgiveness programs provide loans to health professions students for education-related expenses. In exchange for forgiveness of the debts, students sign a service contract to practice at a facility located in a rural or underserved area upon completion of a degree.

Loan repayment programs are offered to healthcare professionals who have already completed their education. In exchange for money to reduce or eliminate educational debt, healthcare professionals must meet the conditions of the program, which typically include working in a facility located in a rural or underserved area.
https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topics/ ... -repayment

Can you imagine how shocking it is to learn the the government would make conditions about where a US citizen might live in exchange for free tuition, or loan forgiveness?

My best childhood friend served in S. Korea for several years because the government told him he had to. He joined the Army so that he would get college loan forgiveness. How horrible The government didn't even let him live in the United States. He had to live in S. Korea!

As far as government making decrees goes, the federal government decrees, and makes requirements, of all or certain US citizens. Under certain circumstances, US citizens can also have their movement limited; convicted felons can have movement limited after release from prison while on probation. They can't leave the state, and thus are being told where they can live. Even citizens accused of crimes, but not proven guilty yet, and held on bond, can be ordered by a judge not to leave the city, state, or country, and can--while on bond--be required to wear a ankle-monitor as a condition of bail. The government can make defendants surrender their passport. Again, they have not been proven guilty yet. Depending on the length of the trial, this condition can last for months or even several years.

All male citizens are required (compelled) to register for Selective Service when they reach age 18, and are subject to draft during wartime, should the government suspend the all-voluntary military. In the late 60s/early 70s, two of my brothers were told to live in then West Germany for almost two years.

All citizens serving the military are told where to live. They accept these conditions when they join the military. In fact, their non-military family members also often have no say in where they live while their parent/spouse is in service. Active-duty personnel have to have permission to leave their assigned base, or overseas assignment, and can be prosecuted for if they go absent-without-leave.

The federal government decrees, by law, that all citizens earning a certain level of income file income tax forms, and pay taxes.

The federal government decrees, by law, that all residents who earn wages pay into Social Security and Medicare, and decrees that employers directly deduct part of their wages for this purpose.

The federal government decrees that non-citizens cannot legally work in this country without permission (temporary work visa or green card). In fact, it's illegal for US citizens/companies to hire a non-citizen without a some type of work visa. The federal government sure are meanies.

The federal government can decree that you are not allowed to fly on a commercial airline by placing you on the no-fly list.

State governments can decree that you cannot vote if you are convicted of a felony.

Government--through the court system--can restrict where a citizen, convicted of a sex crime, can live.

The federal government, by decree under law via national security protocols, can force you to undergo searches of your body, and luggage, before boarding an airplane--without a warrant. You can refuse, but you won't be allowed to board.

The federal government has decreed that by 2020 you soon will not be able to board an airplane, or cross national borders, without a passport, or federally-approved state ID card. When I lived in Arizona in the 1980s/90s, you could still go to Mexico without a passport. A driver's license was enough.

There are vast areas in the United States where the federal government will not allow you to live. So in essence, the government is telling you to some extent where you can and cannot live.

US citizens are not allowed to move onto Native American reservations without the consent of the tribes. So here is an example of where federal and tribal decrees limit the movement of US citizens and prevent them from living where they want.

US citizens cannot build homes, or permanently settle, on federal park land or in federal forests. Here is another example where even US citizens cannot just decide to live wherever they want. In some states, federal lands occupy large percentages of that state's land area.

There are many things that are mandated of US citizens by the federal government. Yet, I am called nasty, and inhumane, because I advocate that people--who are not yet US citizens--be required to accept some limitations, or conditions, to live in this country. To achieve national goals. Hey, it's already happening.

Some municipalities and states require public employees to live within the jurisdiction as a condition of employment. The Supreme Court has upheld this.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme- ... 4/645.html

I don't remember saying the government should force someone to live in a specific city. I just cited examples of how they might redistribute immigration. The government might give the option from a list of cities or states. This certainly could be achieved using incentives like reducing the time it takes to become a citizen: Ten years if you move to Los Angeles; five years if you move to Detroit.

However, as stated above, the federal government already is telling immigrants where they can live when they approve certain types of work visas. They are offered a specific job in a specific place. They can't just come be a traveling physician who lives in van moving about the country providing health care. However, they do retain free movement to travel anywhere they want on days off, and on vacations.

That said, I think the law makes it too difficult for immigrants to get work visas, and citizenship, and that is why so many come here illegally.

You have to recognize that there are plenty of polls that indicate that a sizeable number of US citizens want immigration reduced. I am not one of them.
,... and yes they can revitalize down and out communities, but more important than these characteristics is the fact that they are human beings, in many cases fleeing violent, untenable situations in their home countries. They have their own reasons for settling where they choose to settle, which can include linking up with family or friends or other members of their community who have arrived before them, that I don't believe should be overridden by federal fiat in order to rejuvenate Akron. And as I mentioned before, plenty of immigrants are already choosing, on their own, to move to those kinds of communities without having to be forced there.
Not all immigrants are coming because they are fleeing unstable countries. I don't even think statistics support that a majority are. You have to have some assets to afford to move, and it's not cheap to reside in this country while you apply to become a citizen. This is true especially if you are moving to one of the more popular and expensive US cities--which the majority of immigrants do. Sixty percent of immigrants settle in six states. California gets almost 25 percent of all immigration.

I have friends and family who live in these highly-popular destination cities. I used to live in one myself. Many are very liberal people, and even they are saying that there is too much immigration to their cities. Now, they are not complaining that there is too much immigration to the country--just their city. This is not because they hate immigrants. It's because the immigration is driving prices so high that they can no longer afford their housing. It's because when they are priced out of their current apartment, they cannot find an affordable replacement. In addition, the cities are already stressed because of traffic, overwhelmed mass transit systems, or water scarcity during drought. Some have had to leave those cities because of housing. Their jobs didn't pay them enough to keep up.

Their resentment comes because they were settled there first. Now they had to unsettle themselves, and perhaps move somewhere they don't want to live. See, here's the thing. Even liberal open-minded people will become resentful at a certain point, and become anti-immigration if they feel their needs aren't being balanced with those of newcomers.

So in your arguments about free movement of new immigrants, where is your compassion for native-born US citizens who face these problems? Why can't I turn the tables on both you and MissingKC, and call you nasty and inhumane for not considering their rights? Why should they have to accommodate even more and more immigrants that their cities have trouble absorbing? Why is it unreasonable for the federal government to make conditions that immigrants consider settling in less-stressed cities?

In New York City, my friends are always complaining that they are priced out of their apartments, which are converted to condos and sold to foreign nationals who don't even live in them. There are things called "ghost buildings" which sit dark at night because most of the apartments are empty. They are often wealthy non-resident foreign nationals who buy property to park money outside their country, and try to gain citizenship, maybe only staying in their apartments a few weeks of the year. The same problem is happening in London.
Your attitude toward immigrants was described by missingkc as "nasty," and you asked how. To me, you seem to be talking about immigrants in really dehumanizing terms, treating them as little more than tools to achieve your policy goals. Yes, immigrants are good for the economy (contrary to GOP fears), and yes they can revitalize down and out communities, but more important than these characteristics is the fact that they are human beings,
I find it interesting that you would make a judgment that I don't recognize their humanity. I live among of the highest population of immigrants and refugees in KCMO--on a block with families who have come from Mexico, Honduras, Somalia, Sudan, and Vietnam. The neighbors on both the north and south sides of my house are immigrant. I grow a garden, and have supplemented food for three families--two of which are immigrant? Do you? I don't think they see me as nasty. I donate every month to Harvesters, which many immigrants and refugees depend upon for supplemental food. I've done this for 10 years now.

I have also lived in two large cities with large immigrant populations--Phoenix and New York City. I have worked with immigrants since I was 22-years-old (I'm 56 now). I have some experience with immigrants.

I have known nurses and doctors who were foreign-born who got working visas on the condition that they live and work in certain cities or rural areas of states. They didn't appear to have a problem with it. Many of them lived far from their families for a certain period of time. They didn't complain about this fact.

So to say I dehumanize immigrants makes me laugh out loud. The fact that you don't realize that US immigration policy is already based on achieving economic goals makes me laugh louder. :lol: [-X
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

=phuqueue
A lot of them do settle in Mexico. But it's not like Honduras is the one dangerous country in an otherwise peaceful, utopian region. Mexico is locked in its own narcowar and it's probably the most stable country down there.
From Honduras, Uruguay is 4000 miles away -- literally 4x the distance to the US -- and aside from the distance, it also requires crossing much more difficult terrain... I think it's a stretch to consider either of these countries as being in the same "region" as Honduras or Guatemala, and in any case, it's obvious why immigrants from those countries wouldn't consider them plausible destinations.

Costa Rica, and also Panama, are both relatively stable, relatively well-developed countries, which are, combined, about the same size as New York City -- that is, they might be great for US retirees, but have neither the capacity nor the economic opportunity to absorb immigrants by the tens of thousands, which Mexico (and obviously America) can and do.
As opposed to the USA being the same "region." Costa Rica and Panama are a lot closer to Honduras, and culturally more similar (Spanish-speaking Latinos).

I was merely replying to YOUR comment about Mexico being "locked in its own narcowar..." and pointing out other safer destinations for refugees. Oh, and that not every Latin American country is dangerous and unstable.

Uruguay's distance becomes irrelevant if the the US and other parties recognized the refugee crisis and joined together to take action, and helped them INSTEAD of waiting for them to walk thousands of miles. Perhaps do something humane like organize a plan to transport them by train, boat, or airplane to safer locations in Costa Rica or Ecuador to evade the dangerous Mexican narcowar you speak of. Of course this would require some cooperation among affected parties.

I don't think "it's a stretch" to think that being resettled to another country where you already speak the language would be the worst plan. Seeing that it's already really stressful to leave your country --leaving everything behind, but now be expected to perhaps learn a new language just so you can make a living in a foreign, host country, and maybe have that country take your children from you and adopt out to strangers.

And INSTEAD of assuming that they should WALK there of course :roll:

It's amusing to me that you are worried about Costa Rica and Panama being able to handle tens of thousands of refugees. You made reference to the size of New York City, which accepts thousands of new people each year. Yet, you didn't express any concern about that city's residents' ability to handle even more new people-many who arrive as refugees. This despite the fact the city is under severe housing stress.
Despite Manhattan having the highest rents and home prices in the city, it’s still the most attractive place for newcomers. Almost 7 percent of Manhattan’s population lived somewhere else a year ago. Manhattan attracts twice as many domestic migrants as Brooklyn and Queens, and more than three times as many as the Bronx and Staten Island. Almost 30,000 more people moved to Manhattan than out of it domestically, while all other boroughs actually lost residents to other cities around the U.S.
https://streeteasy.com/blog/where-do-n ... s-sorting/
March 22, 2018

New York City’s population reached a record high last year of over 8.6 million and has climbed 5.5 percent since 2010, according to a Department of City Planning analysis of new Census Bureau population estimates.

There were 8,622,698 people in the city last year, 447,565 more than were counted in the 2010 census.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/nyre ... ation.html

A population almost equivalent to that of KCMO moved to New York City in 7 years.
From 2010 to 2017, New York City led the rest of the state in population growth, with the Bronx emerging as the fastest-growing county in the state. The Bronx surged 6.21 percent, with 86,052 new residents.

But Brooklyn, with a population of 2,648,771, took in more people — 144,071 — to achieve the highest growth of any county in the state by absolute numbers. Its 5.75 percent jump from 2010 to 2017 was second as a percentage gain.

The population in Queens climbed 127,860, or 5.73 percent, to 2,358,582, making it second among counties in the state in terms of growth by numbers and third in percentage gains. Manhattan was fourth in the number of newcomers, with 78,854, a 4.97 percent expansion that ranked fifth in percentage terms (behind Rockland County, which grew 5.51 percent with an increase of 17,181 people).

Staten Island added a more modest 10,728 people, a 2.29 percent gain to 479,458.
And this?
=phuqueue
Costa Rica, and also Panama, are both relatively stable, relatively well-developed countries, which are, combined, about the same size as New York City -- that is, they might be great for US retirees, but have neither the capacity nor the economic opportunity to absorb immigrants by the tens of thousands, which Mexico (and obviously America) can and do.
Now you are just speaking gobbledygook. For reference:

New York City -- 302.6 square miles
Panama -- 29,762 square miles
Costa Rica -- 19,714 square miles

So Costa Rica and Panama combined are not the size of New York City.

Oh, were you talking about population? Duh. However, New York City is constrained in how it can grow in many ways, and is suffering from a housing crisis. So maybe using it as a comparison for accepting that many refugees is not the best. Panama and Costa Rica combined are physically more able to accept more people> There is more land area to spread them out--as long as there is international financial support to helping them absorb refugees. Hold that thought.

The countries of Lebanon and Jordan are small, but they have been absorbing thousands of refugees.

Lebanon -- 4,014 square miles. They have an estimated 1.4 million refugees.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccar ... 67002c3970

Jordan -- 34,000 square miles. They have received an estimated 650,000 to 1.3 million Syrian refugees.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/jord ... a-37513921

Ok, back to that thought I mentioned. Guess what, the Europeans have been giving financial aid to Lebanon and Jordan to help them absorb tens of thousands of refugees. Maybe Panama and Costa Rica could get some financial help too!
... to absorb immigrants by the tens of thousands, which Mexico (and obviously America) can and do.
Yes, like I was saying pages back, Wyoming has less than 500,000 people, and it's got 97,914 square miles of space. Gobs more space than New York City, Panama, and Costa Rica combined!

I have no problem with the US taking in the Honduran refugees. I think we should. Plenty of room in Wyoming. :lol:

Forum friends, I relinquish the thread.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

=D> =D> =D> Great rant Fang. Lots of good information as well.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I'm not going to quote and respond to everything line by line there but I will address your examples in broader strokes. But first off, I'll emphasize that I've already made explicit that I'm no fan of existing immigration law, so if you're expecting me to defend this or that provision of law as being necessarily "better" than your proposal that I have previously described as dehumanizing, you will be out of luck. But I will explain what, in my view, differentiates the examples you've offered from the proposal you made. Your proposal is not one of the "policies that our country has already be utilizing for years." And of course, you knew that when you actually proposed it, which is why you spoke in terms of what the government "should" do, what kind of rules you'd like to see it "set up," not what the government is already doing. It's disingenuous to insinuate now that your plan is basically indistinguishable from what we've done all along.
  • For the nth time, I am not against allowing immigrants to contribute to "national economic goals." I am against your heavy-handed plan to dictate to them that they must settle in Rochester or go home. Trying to cast this as being about your "national economic goals" is a strawman. The goals are one thing, the way you get there is another. I'm talking about the latter.
  • It's clear that somebody who has an employer-sponsored visa to work a specific job is going to be sent to where that job is. Issuing a visa for a doctor to go work in a rural area, or for a software engineer to go work at Google, or whatever, has the practical effect of determining where they will live, but it's not the same thing as a blanket federal power to dictate to any immigrant where they must live. And some of these visas grant more freedom to choose than you imply -- for instance, where you were quoting about the J-1, your excerpt ends right before the website goes on to explain that: "Interested parties should contact the Primary Care Office in the state where they intend to work, for more information and exact requirements." So you choose where you want to go when you apply for the visa. While the final result might look superficially the same to the person who has little meaningful choice about where they live, there is a huge difference between their going where their job takes them (just like everybody else) and their going where the federal government tells them to go (I already pointed out the most obvious way the government could abuse that power if it had it, which you haven't even acknowledged). It is also worth pointing out that these are only one type of visa, and a prospective immigrant who doesn't want to be tied to a specific job in a specific place could potentially try to obtain some other kind of visa or status instead. Presumably, as you've described it so far, your system wouldn't grant them that option.
  • Your points about people in the military not getting to decide where they live would be great if they weren't completely irrelevant. Aside from the fact that we no longer have conscription, so joining the military nowadays is a choice that should be thought of in the same terms as any other agreement (when you sign a contract, you bind yourself to do the thing you said you'd do, but this doesn't change the fact that you didn't have to sign the contract in the first place -- this also addresses some of the other points you raised, about people who get sent somewhere in exchange for loan forgiveness), being a member of the military (whether voluntarily or not) is a specific, and special, status -- the government is empowered to press you into military service to meet national security needs, but the government is not empowered to make you go work in a steel mill or a supermarket or basically anywhere else. In the context of this discussion, members of the military, even if they are conscripts, are not analogous to everybody else. The government may have the power to conscript you, and once conscripted it may have the power to send you somewhere, but this power only exists to achieve specific purposes, it is not a blanket license to tell any person where they can live.
  • And yes of course the government can force you to do some things, but there are also a lot of things it can't force you to do. This is not news. Your only examples that go to the actual point about determining where someone lives deal with people charged or convicted of crimes, over whom the government has more power (and in some cases, arguably exercises power in excess of its rightful authority, but that's another topic) than it does over everybody else. I mean the Constitution also prohibits slavery, except it explicitly allows it as criminal punishment. And you had one other example not related to crime, when government employers require their employees to live within the jurisdiction where they're employed, but that's less a government mandate than a condition of employment. And I guess you also made a couple examples of places where you can't live, but this is not as analogous as you seem to think it is -- after all, you actually can't live anywhere unless you own the land or have the consent of the owner.
  • You keep bringing up the fact that not all immigrants are refugees fleeing violence, but it's not clear to me why that matters. This is actually the group we're really talking about -- as you yourself have already pointed out, many other immigrants voluntarily accept a restriction of sorts when they take other kinds of visas (not restrictions of the magnitude you're proposing, but restrictions nonetheless). You act as if the fact that not all immigrants are refugees excuses whatever effect your plan would have on the ones who are.
  • I live in New York City myself, so I don't really need you to tell me about the cost of living. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, immigrants are not really the ones responsible for that anyway. This city is expensive because a lot of rich people are willing to pay top dollar to live here (or to own an apartment here that they don't even live in -- you even mentioned this yourself in your post, and a "foreign national" who doesn't live here is, by definition, not an immigrant). It is not expensive because immigrants are splitting apartments in less desirable neighborhoods. And the mass transit system is "overwhelmed" because it has been chronically underfunded and left to decay for decades. So I guess to answer your question about why you can't turn the tables on me and call me nasty for not caring about native citizens who face these problems, it's because I'm one of those citizens, paying sky-high rent and relying on trains that barely run. I mean I guess you can still turn the tables on me if you want, but blaming immigrants for all the woes that native citizens face sounds more like Fox News than this board.
  • The rest of your post is basically "I can't be racist, I've got black friends."
FangKC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:23 am
=phuqueue
A lot of them do settle in Mexico. But it's not like Honduras is the one dangerous country in an otherwise peaceful, utopian region. Mexico is locked in its own narcowar and it's probably the most stable country down there.
From Honduras, Uruguay is 4000 miles away -- literally 4x the distance to the US -- and aside from the distance, it also requires crossing much more difficult terrain... I think it's a stretch to consider either of these countries as being in the same "region" as Honduras or Guatemala, and in any case, it's obvious why immigrants from those countries wouldn't consider them plausible destinations.

As opposed to the USA being the same "region." Costa Rica and Panama are a lot closer to Honduras, and culturally more similar (Spanish-speaking Latinos).
I don't believe I said the US was in the same "region" as Honduras. But it's a hell of a lot closer than Uruguay.
I was merely replying to YOUR comment about Mexico being "locked in its own narcowar..." and pointing out other safer destinations for refugees. Oh, and that not every Latin American country is dangerous and unstable.
I never called every LA country dangerous or unstable. But I think it's clear why an immigrant or refugee would prefer large countries like Mexico or the US over small countries like Costa Rica or Panama. And hell, a lot of people do immigrate to those countries too. The largest source country for immigration to Costa Rica, by far, is Nicaragua. But Costa Rica is still a small country that can't accommodate the volume of immigrants that Mexico and the US receive.
Uruguay's distance becomes irrelevant if the the US and other parties recognized the refugee crisis and joined together to take action, and helped them INSTEAD of waiting for them to walk thousands of miles. Perhaps do something humane like organize a plan to transport them by train, boat, or airplane to safer locations in Costa Rica or Ecuador to evade the dangerous Mexican narcowar you speak of. Of course this would require some cooperation among affected parties.
Ok, but I didn't advocate against that, or even really talk about it at all.
I don't think "it's a stretch" to think that being resettled to another country where you already speak the language would be the worst plan. Seeing that it's already really stressful to leave your country --leaving everything behind, but now be expected to perhaps learn a new language just so you can make a living in a foreign, host country, and maybe have that country take your children from you and adopt out to strangers.

And INSTEAD of assuming that they should WALK there of course :roll:
I didn't call resettling someone in a country where they speak the language a stretch, I called placing countries that were thousands of miles away in the same "region" a stretch. Honduras and Uruguay are exactly as close to each other as Miami and Anchorage. Are those cities also in the same region?

I also didn't say they should walk there, but most of them aren't going to get there by air or sea. They're coming on foot or by automobile.
It's amusing to me that you are worried about Costa Rica and Panama being able to handle tens of thousands of refugees. You made reference to the size of New York City, which accepts thousands of new people each year. Yet, you didn't express any concern about that city's residents' ability to handle even more new people-many who arrive as refugees. This despite the fact the city is under severe housing stress.
Despite Manhattan having the highest rents and home prices in the city, it’s still the most attractive place for newcomers. Almost 7 percent of Manhattan’s population lived somewhere else a year ago. Manhattan attracts twice as many domestic migrants as Brooklyn and Queens, and more than three times as many as the Bronx and Staten Island. Almost 30,000 more people moved to Manhattan than out of it domestically, while all other boroughs actually lost residents to other cities around the U.S.
https://streeteasy.com/blog/where-do-n ... s-sorting/
March 22, 2018

New York City’s population reached a record high last year of over 8.6 million and has climbed 5.5 percent since 2010, according to a Department of City Planning analysis of new Census Bureau population estimates.

There were 8,622,698 people in the city last year, 447,565 more than were counted in the 2010 census.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/nyre ... ation.html

A population almost equivalent to that of KCMO moved to New York City in 7 years.
From 2010 to 2017, New York City led the rest of the state in population growth, with the Bronx emerging as the fastest-growing county in the state. The Bronx surged 6.21 percent, with 86,052 new residents.

But Brooklyn, with a population of 2,648,771, took in more people — 144,071 — to achieve the highest growth of any county in the state by absolute numbers. Its 5.75 percent jump from 2010 to 2017 was second as a percentage gain.

The population in Queens climbed 127,860, or 5.73 percent, to 2,358,582, making it second among counties in the state in terms of growth by numbers and third in percentage gains. Manhattan was fourth in the number of newcomers, with 78,854, a 4.97 percent expansion that ranked fifth in percentage terms (behind Rockland County, which grew 5.51 percent with an increase of 17,181 people).

Staten Island added a more modest 10,728 people, a 2.29 percent gain to 479,458.
The difference between Costa Rica or Panama and New York City is that Costa Rica is the entire country, and New York City has access to state- and federal-level resources to help it absorb people.
And this?
=phuqueue
Now you are just speaking gobbledygook. For reference:

New York City -- 302.6 square miles
Panama -- 29,762 square miles
Costa Rica -- 19,714 square miles

So Costa Rica and Panama combined are not the size of New York City.

Oh, were you talking about population? Duh. However, New York City is constrained in how it can grow in many ways, and is suffering from a housing crisis. So maybe using it as a comparison for accepting that many refugees is not the best. Panama and Costa Rica combined are physically more able to accept more people> There is more land area to spread them out--as long as there is international financial support to helping them absorb refugees. Hold that thought.
I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about population. But having land area is not really the most important point for settling people. This isn't the 19th century, we aren't homesteading out on the plains anymore. Rapid population growth, for instance by absorbing a bunch of immigrants all at once, requires infrastructure and resources. Mexico and the US are much better positioned for this than Costa Rica (which, again, already has a lot of immigrants relative to its small size anyway).
The countries of Lebanon and Jordan are small, but they have been absorbing thousands of refugees.

Lebanon -- 4,014 square miles. They have an estimated 1.4 million refugees.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccar ... 67002c3970

Jordan -- 34,000 square miles. They have received an estimated 650,000 to 1.3 million Syrian refugees.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/jord ... a-37513921
Here I thought we were talking about actually integrating immigrants into their new country, but if Lebanon and Jordan are your model then sure, I guess we could also just build sprawling refugee camps across Costa Rica's undeveloped land instead.
Ok, back to that thought I mentioned. Guess what, the Europeans have been giving financial aid to Lebanon and Jordan to help them absorb tens of thousands of refugees. Maybe Panama and Costa Rica could get some financial help too!
I'm not against providing genuine aid to other countries. I don't think that doing what Europe is doing, throwing money at other countries just to keep refugees off their doorstep (and, again, in giant refugee camps), is especially laudable.
... to absorb immigrants by the tens of thousands, which Mexico (and obviously America) can and do.
Yes, like I was saying pages back, Wyoming has less than 500,000 people, and it's got 97,914 square miles of space. Gobs more space than New York City, Panama, and Costa Rica combined!

I have no problem with the US taking in the Honduran refugees. I think we should. Plenty of room in Wyoming. :lol:

Forum friends, I relinquish the thread.
Now you just want to send everyone to Wyoming? What happened to reinvigorating Buffalo and Detroit?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You guys are both completely unreadable.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

grovester wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:56 pm You guys are both completely unreadable.
I expect this comment to get a word by word breakdown and analysis.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

As much as you want to mock, this started because I was referred to as nasty, and accused of dehumanizing immigrants, for suggesting that immigration might solve economic needs, and that our country and others have been doing it for decades. I am not going to allow name-calling to go unchallenged. When one accepts labels placed on them by others, by remaining silent, you are consenting that the label is true. I have reached the age that I no longer allow people to do that.

Had I just given one example to defend myself, phuqueue, would likely have argued that anyone can find an exception. Thus the many examples. Again, I apologize for hijacking the thread.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

No point in debating with a handle like 'phuqueue' (fuck you). There's no respectful debate to be had with that intent off the bat. Clearly this person has no interest in being taken seriously.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Fang and phuqueue are two of the most thoughtful posters on this board and I always look forward to reading their posts.

It's going to be a long week.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

To be clear, I generally really like Fang's posts and think he's one of the best we've got here (and Fang, I'm not the one who called you "nasty," although I did explain why I thought you had been called that -- maybe you feel the distinction is inconsequential). I just happen to strongly disagree with that one idea, and I'm not sure Fang really fully thought it out before proposing it.

And yes I have a dumb username, whatever. I was like 20 when I signed up for this board. Get over it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I wouldn't read any of that if my family and/or friends had written it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 am And yes I have a dumb username, whatever. I was like 20 when I signed up for this board. Get over it.
Oh to take back everything I did at 20. If a username is your worst, you did alright. :)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This issue is fraught with landmines.

Our president just proposed banning birthright citizenship. Someone has told him he has the power to do it by executive order, or maybe congressional action. However, he doesn't have that power. He doesn't seem to realize that there is a constitutional amendment protecting it.

https://www.axios.com/trump-birthright- ... 2ea82.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 am I just happen to strongly disagree with that one idea, and I'm not sure Fang really fully thought it out before proposing it.
When I read your comment about being against the government decreeing what city immigrants could live in, my first thought went directly to the physicians and nurses I have known that had to work in certain under-served cities and rural areas as a condition to receiving a work visa. My rural home county wouldn't have doctors without that program.

These were people who wanted to immigrate to the USA, and they had to accept a condition to come. It was a sacrifice they were willing to make on their path to citizenship. Once they became citizens, some moved where they wanted. However, some of them stayed in the place they agreed to go, and made it their home.

That is where I was coming from.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

See Fang, and that's what I meant when I said I do think you generally have your heart in the right place. But I had a very different reaction.

When I read your idea I envisioned immigrants as a semi-permanent underclass being ordered to go to a specific place at the whim of the federal government and work until they "earn" their citizenship. There is an implicit assumption that they will have a job (or create a job for themselves) when they get there, but if it were that easy, these towns wouldn't have hollowed out in the first place, so they might be consigned to a place where they can't really have an impact and so would just become mired in the same poverty that already afflicts these areas. Alternatively, the government might have a job lined up for them, which then starts to edge into slavery (or at least indentured servitude, which is also illegal). And then there are the opportunities for outright abuse that I was getting at before, like if the government wanted to try to dissuade people from coming by sending them to inhospitable places. And, more broadly, the idea of prioritizing national economic goals over personal freedom is a defining characteristic of fascism (and limiting the impact of that to one specific group of people, e.g. immigrants but not citizens, is, um, not moving farther away from fascism). I know, of course, that you are definitely not a fascist, which is why I felt maybe you hadn't fully thought this through.

I realize this might sound weird coming from the board's resident communist and all but I do think a decision like where to settle is one that should be left to the "market." People should go where they feel they're needed or can put their skills to use, or even just where they already know people who can help them integrate into their new country. We've already seen that many immigrants will head to these rural areas and rust belt towns and cities anyway, so I think the best way to continue to help those places is simply to let more immigrants in. And the ones who want to settle in New York or San Francisco or wherever, for whatever reasons they have for picking those places, should be free to do so. After all, the cost of living in these places isn't something they're immune to, it's in fact something that hits them especially hard since they are generally not exactly affluent, and if they're here in spite of that, then I trust them to make that decision for whatever reasons they have.

So that's where I was coming from.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Is it just me or does it appear suspiciously as though white American hegemony has made a pact with the Russian devil to suicide bomb the whole fucking thing if they can't keep it for themselves? I'm sure that's dramatically oversimplified, and, well, dramatic, but my gut thinks the whole thing smells rotten.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kids Of GOP MO Candidate Say He’s A Racist ‘Fanatic’ Who Must Be Stopped
LIBERTY, Mo. (AP) — The son and daughter of a Missouri House candidate are urging people not to vote for him because he regularly espouses racial and homophobic views and dislikes Jews and Muslims.
https://tinyurl.com/yco34zl9

It's pretty bad when your kids turn against you.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

mean wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:45 pm Is it just me or does it appear suspiciously as though white American hegemony has made a pact with the Russian devil to suicide bomb the whole fucking thing if they can't keep it for themselves? I'm sure that's dramatically oversimplified, and, well, dramatic, but my gut thinks the whole thing smells rotten.
I don't know, but I find it strange that Rudy Giuliani has gone silent, and has been spending time overseas. :-k

https://tinyurl.com/ydxmxfds

The way to get over your fear of living around other races is to live around other races.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I don't know if there is exactly a "pact," but I do think a huge number of these people don't care how they hold power, as long as they do. The NYT interviewed some lady in Fulton who is going to vote for Hawley because of the Kavanaugh thing, even though he's trying to end protection for preexisting conditions, of which her own daughter apparently has some severe ones:
“I’m kind of ashamed of my country and the mess we made of Judge Kavanaugh’s life,” she said. “I probably would have voted for Claire until that happened.”

Ms. French, who lives in rural Fulton, Mo., has a 28-year-old daughter who has severe problems with her heart and lungs. Asked if she was worried that Mr. Hawley’s lawsuit would threaten protections for people like her daughter, Ms. French broke in before a reporter could finish the question.

“It doesn’t matter to me,” she said. “More important is the situation that happened with Judge Kavanaugh.”
Compared to that grotesque sentiment, not caring whether Russia throws the election to you seems almost reasonable.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

We continue to obtain proof every single day that Hillary Clinton's statement about "deplorables" may have been politically-inadvisable, but it was (and is) 100% accurate.