Water.org

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Water.org

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Its a great cause and its kind of cool they are HQ here. Why are they HQ anyway? Its Co Founded by Matt Damon and it appears to be a fairly high profile/Hollywood type of charity. It just seems like it would do just make more sense if they were located in LA, NY or DC to tap a large potential of donors
cknab1
Ambassador

Re: Water.org

Post by cknab1 »

I talked to them a little once I realized how involved I was going to become with the fresh water wells in Cambodia. This was maybe in 2008. They weren’t that interested in my little project and basically wanted me to donate to their cause. Which is fine. But my wife and I are happy with our little project even if it is not on the grand scale of water.org. We have 47 wells in Cambodia plus a large village well. No office, no overhead, nothing but 100% direct to the wells. We had talked to a lawyer about setting up an NGO but he said it would probably be better to just keep everything low key. It was going to be close to $3000 at any rate and we didn’t that it was worth it either. It is interesting seeing projects all over the place that help with fresh water in many different countries. I was surprised that they are just over on Grand. Never knew they were there.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Water.org

Post by kboish »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Its a great cause and its kind of cool they are HQ here. Why are they HQ anyway? Its Co Founded by Matt Damon and it appears to be a fairly high profile/Hollywood type of charity. It just seems like it would do just make more sense if they were located in LA, NY or DC to tap a large potential of donors
I believe Gary White, the other co-founder of water.org really started the organization (though it was called something else prior to Matt damon getting on board). He is either from KC or lived here at the time he started it. Matt Damon wanted to do a similar project or heard about this organization and thought it was a good idea and basically got in the mix to raise its profile. He didn't really found anything...though certainly has raised its profile