Glenn Beck wants to create a new city from scratch

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Glenn Beck wants to create a new city from scratch

Post by KCMax »

Glenn unveils his most ambitious and visionary dream: Independence
The ambitious project, projected to cost over two billion dollars, has been heavily influenced by Walt Disney. As Glenn has been explaining throughout the week, Disneyland was originally intended to be a place where people would find happiness, inspiration, courage and hope. Over time, Walt Disney’s original vision has been lost. While hundreds of thousands still flock to the town, it’s become commercialized and the big dreams and the heart have been compromised.

Glenn believes that he can bring the heart and the spirit of Walt’s early Disneyland ideas into reality. Independence, USA wouldn’t be about rides and merchandise, but would be about community and freedom. The Marketplace would be a place where craftmen and artisan could open and run real small businesses and stores. The owners and tradesmen could hold apprenticeships and teach young people the skills and entrepreneurial spirit that has been lost in today’s entitlement state.
So I guess I'm wondering will they have any kind of regulations? Will there be zoning regs? Can I plop down my business next to Glenn's house? Will there be parking requirements?

Politics aside, I'm always fascinated by ideas to create whole new cities. Of course, the planning required to create a new city kinda runs contrary to ideas of the free market and decentralized government. If you were to design the libertarian urban utopia come true, what would it look like?
smh
Supporter

Re: Glenn Beck wants to create a new city from scratch

Post by smh »

Heritage, U.S.A.?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Didn't we already start new cities from Scratch, there called Suburbs
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

Detroit is looking at something similar...but their version looks cooler.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... /301120319
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Aren't the people that listen to Glenn Beck the same people that fled to the suburbs and only shop and eat at Wal-Mart and other major chains? So, basically the opposite of what he's proposing.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Aren't the people that listen to Glenn Beck the same people that fled to the suburbs and only shop and eat at Wal-Mart and other major chains? So, basically the opposite of what he's proposing.
No. There are perfectly normal, well-adjusted people that I consider friends that live in the suburbs - and occasionally shop at WalMart. None of my normal, well-adjusted friends listens to Glenn Beck.

Isn't this what Celebration, FL was too?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

WSPanic wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Aren't the people that listen to Glenn Beck the same people that fled to the suburbs and only shop and eat at Wal-Mart and other major chains? So, basically the opposite of what he's proposing.
No. There are perfectly normal, well-adjusted people that I consider friends that live in the suburbs - and occasionally shop at WalMart. None of my normal, well-adjusted friends listens to Glenn Beck.

I'm not saying that all suburbanites listen to Glenn Beck, I'm saying that all people that listen to Glenn Beck don't live in an urban area and shop at Wal-Mart.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
WSPanic wrote:

I'm not saying that all suburbanites listen to Glenn Beck, I'm saying that all people that listen to Glenn Beck don't live in an urban area and shop at Wal-Mart.
I think people that Listen to Glen Beck live in more rural areas and stockpile weapons. But, I could be offbase. I had the pleasure of being in Driggs, ID for some 4th of July Widespread Panic a few years ago. It was the same day Beck was having some sort of freedom show in the same, small ID town. I thought the Panic crowd was weird...
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Someone's already building Glenn Beck's town. It's in Idaho:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... 5s/267126/