Wyoming, Montana and Beyond.

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
smh
Supporter

Wyoming, Montana and Beyond.

Post by smh »

Taking a week or so off at the end of the month to head west and looking for some recommendations. The plan at the moment is to fly into Denver, drive up to Yellowstone for a few days, and ultimately meet up with some friends in Great Falls who will then tour us around Great Falls and Missoula before we head to The Gorge in eastern Washington.

We like all kinds of outdoor activities, breweries, restaurants, etc. Anyone been in this neck of the woods recently or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Wyoming, Montana and Beyond.

Post by bobbyhawks »

Been a while for me (10 years or so), but I have stayed at Chico Hot Springs near Livingston and Bozeman a few times. A lot of celebs have hung out there over the years, and it is a fun place to enjoy the open hot springs near a northern entrance to Yellowstone. The Little Bighorn National Monument is cool to stop by if it is on the way. Battlefields aren't for everybody, but it is a cool piece of history.

If you are a fly-fisher or have any inkling to try, that is one of the best places in the world to get the bug (no pun intended). A float trip with a guide can be on the pricey end (esp with tip), but it is one of the greatest ways to see the outdoors and have a great time doing it.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

Stop by Vedauwoo after you go through Cheyenne, just before you get to Laramie.

http://www.wyomingtourism.org/overview/ ... tion/32151

There's a really good Vietnamese restaurant in Cheyenne. In fact, it's the only good food in the city (I grew up there). Look it up on yelp, I forget the name.

I'm jealous. Sounds like a great trip.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

1.It's a lot further to Yellowstone from Jackson than you think.
2. I like Teton NP better then Yellowstone. I like hiking and scenery. I'm not a geologist. Yellowstone was great though.
3. Snake River Brewer was fine fine fine.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote:1.It's a lot further to Yellowstone from Jackson than you think.
2. I like Teton NP better then Yellowstone. I like hiking and scenery. I'm not a geologist. Yellowstone was great though.
1. Looks to be out 8-9 hours from Denver. I suppose that last leg of the journey takes a bit more time given the topography?
2. I've heard this from a couple of people, I'm really looking forward to checking it out.
3. This is definitely on the list, especially because we'll be going right through Jackson.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote:
1. Looks to be out 8-9 hours from Denver. I suppose that last leg of the journey takes a bit more time given the topography?
2. I've heard this from a couple of people, I'm really looking forward to checking it out.
3. This is definitely on the list, especially because we'll be going right through Jackson.
1. Nice and flat, but lots of two lane, tourist camper filled, national park, rubbernecking, road.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote:
smh wrote:
1. Nice and flat, but lots of two lane, tourist camper filled, national park, rubbernecking, road.
Ahh, I see. Noted. Do you think Jackson is a place worth staying in? I'm calculating our drive from Denver up to Yellowstone, attempting to figure in stops at New Belgium, perhaps O'Dell, Snake River, and who knows what else in between, and I'm starting to wonder if we should stay a night somewhere near Grand Teton so we'll have ample time to check it out before moving on to Yellowstone. Any thoughts?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Big Sky Brewery is in Missoula, but it sounds like your friends will have you occupied there.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote: Ahh, I see. Noted. Do you think Jackson is a place worth staying in? I'm calculating our drive from Denver up to Yellowstone, attempting to figure in stops at New Belgium, perhaps O'Dell, Snake River, and who knows what else in between, and I'm starting to wonder if we should stay a night somewhere near Grand Teton so we'll have ample time to check it out before moving on to Yellowstone. Any thoughts?
Jackson is great. Lots of Snake River float trips, horse back excursions, great square with lost of fun bars, some cool galleries. Book early. 30 mins south of Teton.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

When I lived out west, I made an annual pilgrimage to Yellowstone and GT National Parks. I do like Jackson but it tends to be expensive and a bit pretentious, some nice places to eat but if you want to stay cheap, I suggest the tent's only campground at Jenny Lake (very popular place though - not sure if you can reserve). A great diversion in GT National Park are the trails that emenate from Cascade Canyon on the other side of Jenny Lake and are accessible mainly by boat. Trails to Hurricane Pass and Paint Brush Divide are very nice as is a stroll up the Middle Teton which is probably the easiest of the three Teton summits to reach - but still a serious proposition. I started far too late in the day to summit on my one and only attempt.

In Yellowstone, I would very much recommend a walking tour of the Lower and Upper Geyser Basins. Just spectacular. Old Faithful Inn is definitely worth seeing too - as is the eponymous Geyser. They are indeed crowded but should not be so bad when you are planning to go. I used to always go after Labor Day but with school starting earlier and earlier each year, you should be OK. In fact, I would suspect you will come across as many Europeans as Americans that late in summer. Look for the telltale white RV with California or Utah tags.

Some good day hikes in Yellowstone besides spending a day at the geyser basins are Tower Falls, The Norris Geyser Basin and Echinus (sp) Geyser, Mt Washburn which is an easy hike up a prominent peak (basically up a road) with great views of Yellowstone Canyon or if really ambitious, try Mt Holmes on the other side of the Park north of Norris. Holmes is technically easy but will put you in wilderness and Grizzly Country.

When exiting the park, make sure you leave by the NE entrance. That's the Beartooth Highway and it's worth every bit of the slight diversion. It stays above timberline for an extended distance with great views and some nice short hikes off the road.

People might snub their noses at Yellowstone for its touristy persona but it is a magnificent place. You could spend one month there and feel the need to return the following year.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This would be a cool place to stay
http://www.atetontreehouse-jacksonhole.com/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I just ran across this thread I started last August. Re-reading the posts, I am impressed out how dead on shinatoo's three points above proved to be.

Yellowstone is a distance from Jackson as indicated. Teton is amazing, we did our best hiking there. Snake River is delicious. If you're ever out that way drink all the Zonker you can.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote:
I just ran across this thread I started last August. Re-reading the posts, I am impressed out how dead on shinatoo's three points above proved to be.

Yellowstone is a distance from Jackson as indicated. Teton is amazing, we did our best hiking there. Snake River is delicious. If you're ever out that way drink all the Zonker you can.
I try to be right at least once a year. :D

Planning my next trip for the end of May now. Renting a camper from Cruse America. Headed across southern Colorado to Zion, down to Grand Canyon/Sonoma then up through Taos to spend a night in a Earth Ship BioTexture.
Suggestions are welcome.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote:Suggestions are welcome.
Unless you are really into Earthship, I'd skip Taos and head through Santa Fe. Taos has really gone downhill in recent years and is barely even an artist community any more. The Pueblo is interesting but kind of a tourist thing. Santa Fe has great eats and a very active artist scene. It's touristy but well worth the trip.

In Zion NP, a trip to Angel's Landing is a must - one of the best and most airy (hairy) hikes in the SW. There are cables in place to help one deal with the extreme exposure. I put a few pictures of the hike on this forum somewhere. Also, the drive up towards Capitol Reef from Zion is really nice through Grand Staircase and Escalante NMon. Particularly, the area around Boulder Utah.

Lots to see in southern Utah depending on the route. If you've not been there before it might be worth heading through Monument Valley and hitting Zion from the south - or - head into a few miles into Monument Valley and backtrack up to Halls Crossing on Lake Powell (ferry) and that brings you to the Capitol Reef area to begin the incredibly scenic drive through Boulder to Zion (not the most direct way but interesting). Capitol Reef has a nice campground near an Orchard with lots of deer.

Oh - here are the pics of Angel's Landing ...

http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ng#p432779
Last edited by Highlander on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Suggestions are welcome.
Unless you are really into Earthship, I'd skip Taos and head through Santa Fe. Taos has really gone downhill in recent years and is barely even an artist community any more. The Pueblo is interesting but kind of a tourist thing. Santa Fe has great eats and a very active artist scene. It's touristy but well worth the trip.

In Zion NP, a trip to Angel's Landing is a must - one of the best and most airy (hairy) hikes in the SW. There are cables in place to help one deal with the extreme exposure. I put a few pictures of the hike on this forum somewhere. Also, the drive up towards Capitol Reef from Zion is really nice through Grand Staircase and Escalante NMon. Particularly, the area around Boulder Utah.

Lots to see in southern Utah depending on the route. If you've not been there before it might be worth heading through Monument Valley and hitting Zion from the south - or - head into Monument Valley and backtrack up to Halls Crossing on Lake Powell (ferry) and that brings you to the Capitol Reef area to begin the incredibly scenic drive through Boulder to Zion (not the most direct way but interesting). Capitol Reef has a nice campground near an Orchard with lots of deer.

Oh - here are the pics of Angel's Landing ...

http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ng#p432779
Earthship is a must as we are considering building one. We will go through Santa Fe on the way to Taos, can't miss Santa Fe. Thanks for the other suggestions.