Flooding on the Missouri

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Flooding on the Missouri

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Not checking the accuracy of the numbers but your calculation doesn't account for new water coming into the lake.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, and for the last couple of weeks, more water was coming into the lake than they could let out.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This chart shows how much more rain has fallen in the Northern Plains in the last 60 days over the average--in some cases 300-500 percent over large areas.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pho ... =1&theater
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Good diagram shows the differences between a breach, overtopping, and an overtopping breach on levees.

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/flood/Flo ... =LeveeDiag
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

They're not sending trillions of gallons of water downstream for shits and giggles.  Obviously water is flowing into the reservoir at rates comparable to what's going down the spillways.
You know... I used to think that, surely, the Corps could have released water sooner to prevent this all from happening.
So, at that rate... it's only going to take -43- hours to empty the entire lake!
Since the talk was about "empty the entire lake" it doesn't seem to take the inflow into account.

From the NWS in Pleasant Hill:
During the last half of May, the upper Missouri River basin received nearly a year`s worth of rainfall. In addition, the forecast snow melt runoff is 212 percent of normal across the upper portion of the river system. These conditions have resulted in Missouri basin reservoirs across eastern Montana and the Dakotas nearing their maximum levels. Record releases have continued at Gavin’s Point dam located to the west of Yankton, South Dakota. Planned water releases were increased to around 150,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) from Tuesday, June 14th through Tuesday, June 21st (a release rate of 150,000 cfs would fill the dimensions of a football field 156 ft deep in one minute!). The previous high release at Gavin’s Point was 70,000 cfs in 1997.
However, a large heavy rain system impacted much of South Dakota and northern Nebraska from Sunday night, June 19th through early Tuesday morning, June 21st with as much as 6 inches of rain falling across parts of South Dakota. Due to the expected high inflow into several upstream reservoirs the US Army Corps of Engineers has announced increases in the release from Gavins Point beginning Wednesday, June 22nd. They are now projecting releases of 155,000 cfs on Wednesday and a new peak of 160,000 cfs on Thursday, June 23rd which will continue through August. This additional 10,000 cfs on top of the previous record 150,000 cfs will result in an estimated increase in river stages from 0.3 to 0.4 of a foot from Omaha to Rulo, Nebraska...around 0.6 of a foot at St. Joseph...and roughly 0.7 of a foot at Kansas City. Actual stages will depend on tributary inflows. It will still take an estimated 4 to 5 days before the additional water arrives.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

The inflows match or exceed the discharge rates... my point being... you could have emptied Lewis and Clark Lake months ago ahead of this deluge... it's only taking a couple of days to entirely fill it up again.  So, there is nothing the Corps could have done to better mitigate what is happening now.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

so it wouldn't have done them any good to start releasing immediately when the snow began to melt?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Precisely... they could have been releasing the water at full capacity all spring long and it wouldn't have made a difference.  What's being released now... just entered each dam within a couple of days prior.

Oh, and don't look now... but the rains over the past 48 hours have resulted in their bumping up the release rate at Gavins Point to 160,000 cfs... and they're projected to continue THAT on into the middle of July.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

scooterj wrote: North Kansas City did not flood...

Thanks for the cool arial shot scooter!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Corps forced to increase water releases on the upper Missouri
“Missouri River levels will remain dangerously high for the foreseeable future,” said Steve Iverson, deputy engineer for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers  U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Follow this company  ’ Kansas City District.

Releases from Gavins Point will increase to 160,000 cubic feet per second by Thursday morning, Omaha-based Corps Water Management Division Chief Jody Farhat said Tuesday night. Before 2011, releases had never exceeded 70,000 cfs.

But heavy rains Monday and Tuesday in the Dakotas and Nebraska pushed the reservoirs, the river and its tributaries higher, forcing the corps to accelerate the release of water from reservoirs, including two with flood control pools that have filled beyond 100 percent.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... a=e_du_pub
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Thousands flee Minot ND as officials warn city could be under water soon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/2 ... 82494.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Water from Canada.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Levee breaches near Fortescue, MO

Another levee breach in Holt County near Fortescue, MO. This is just about five miles north of my hometown.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/s ... -fortescue

Flash flood warning issued for Holt County. Residents told to seek higher ground.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/23/29 ... ffect.html
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Another levee breach in Atchison County, MO. This one is north of the bridge to Brownville, Nebraska.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/23/29 ... levee.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Slideshow of flooding in Holt and Atchison counties.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/13/29 ... oding.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

What will be interesting when this flooding is over will be how the river changes its path.  The '93 flooding changed the course somewhat and that flooding was over a shorter period of time.  A river always wants to go in a straight line and it will eat away at land to do so.  Looking at the map for the river flooding Minot and there are many turns for it.  Don't know the lay of the land there but I will assume that river will have more than one course change.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Johnny Rowlands photos of the flooding in Holt County.  The Weber Farms is about 2 miles outside of my home town. My step-father and brother worked for Weber Farms at various times when I was a kid.

http://www.kmbc.com/slideshow/news/28343499/detail.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KMBC's Micheal Mahoney's report from Craig, MO.

http://www.kmbc.com/video/28352036/detail.html