iPhone/AT&T question?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: iPhone/AT&T question?

Post by KC0KEK »

DaveKCMO wrote: and handmark.com!
Right. In fact, they also build some of the carrier- and handset-branded stores on a white-label basis.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I'm going to buy some sprint stock now...  8)  haha.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

jdubwaldo wrote: I'm going to buy some sprint stock now...   8)  haha.
See Barron's article from a couple of days ago, "Sprint Nextel Starts to Hit Its Stride." Today's Star mentions how it affected Sprint's stock price.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I noticed that.  Very good, very good.  Maybe we will start to see some releases about them adding local jobs one of these days, that would be awesome!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

What to do when filing frivilous lawsuits against your competitors doesn't fix your network PR problem?  Blaime your customers of course!

http://sprintconnection.kansascity.com/?q=node/1362
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: What to do when filing frivilous lawsuits against your competitors doesn't fix your network PR problem?  Blaime your customers of course!

http://sprintconnection.kansascity.com/?q=node/1362
AT&T just got hit with a class-action suit, filed in an STL court, charging that their DSL network can't deliver on advertised performance. I think there was a similar suit on the wireless side a couple of years ago.

One way they've tried to accommodate smartphone data usage is by giving iPhone customers free public Wi-Fi access. I don't know if it was AT&T's or Apple's decision, but the iPhone 3GS uses UMTS rather than HSUPA for uploads.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I was just reading about some of the goings-on at the UBS Media & telecom conference in NY.  My feeling based on comments here and what I've read (or I want to read into) what has come out thus far is good.  Sounds like there are/will continue to be some good tidbits coming out to support taking advantage of AT&T's 30 day window to switch back to Sprint and wait for 4G devices Q1/Q2 2010.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

deleted
Last edited by mister816 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acepiloto
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by acepiloto »

I haven't read all of the posts, but I have an iphone and yet have never used the ATT network. I unlocked and jailbroke my phone (really is an easy process) and use tmobile. I've never had a problem with tmobile's service (knock on wood). One note, I don't use their data plan but the iphone gets wifi, and a good majority of the places I go have wifi available for me to use. I don't know how good the tmobile data service is, I've thought about it, but it's not that important for me to spend the extra money on it.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

so, acepiloto, you bought an un-subsidized iphone?  wasn't that quite expensive?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

acepiloto wrote:I don't know how good the tmobile data service is, I've thought about it, but it's not that important for me to spend the extra money on it.
Tmo's 3G is fine, but since the radio in the iPhone can only pick up tmo's Edge frequency there's probably not much point in your case.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

A engineer in my office bought a iTouch and somehow converted it to a phone so he doesn't have to use AT&T.  Also, if you contact AT&T, they will give you the unlock code so you can swap out the SIM.  That way if you travel outside the US, you can buy a local SIM and not get hit with huge charges.  This experience was not with iPhones, however.
acepiloto
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by acepiloto »

kard wrote: so, acepiloto, you bought an un-subsidized iphone?  wasn't that quite expensive?
Ebay is your friend...

I bought a 2nd gen iphone for $225. I didn't (and haven't yet) need the 3G capabilities.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

KC0KEK wrote: AT&T just got hit with a class-action suit, filed in an STL court, charging that their DSL network can't deliver on advertised performance. I think there was a similar suit on the wireless side a couple of years ago.

One way they've tried to accommodate smartphone data usage is by giving iPhone customers free public Wi-Fi access. I don't know if it was AT&T's or Apple's decision, but the iPhone 3GS uses UMTS rather than HSUPA for uploads.
Where I live, I can only get the slowest DSL speed offered from AT&T.  When I moved last year, I dropped Comcast cable & internet because it had gotten really expensive (over $100 combined)  When a AT&T repair person came out, he said that the advertised Universe cable wasn't available in my neighborhood.  They need a lot of people to request it before they will run the wiring (or whatever) to my neighborhood.  That's probably true of the DSL too.  This is a traditionally blue collar minority neighborhood that is seeing some gentrification.  So we probably don't fit the demographics.

Instead of Comcast cable, I now have DirectTV with lots of infomercial and religious channels.  Over 155 channels with 140 you don't want to watch.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mlind wrote: A engineer in my office bought a iTouch and somehow converted it to a phone so he doesn't have to use AT&T.
the only way to "convert" a 2nd gen (1st gen lacks a microphone) ipod touch into a "phone" is to use skype over wi-fi. not a very compelling option IMO.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It's not bad if you're basically always around wifi, but yeah, not a great solution for a lot of people.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

After much debate and just as I have fallen in love w/ my 3GS, even with the crappy phone service, my hubby decided we should to back to Sprint.  "I have spoken" he said.  hahaha.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Evidently AT&T figured out how to deal with iPhone service problems in New York: just stop selling iPhones.

http://consumerist.com/2009/12/att-cust ... phone.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

phuqueue wrote: Evidently AT&T figured out how to deal with iPhone service problems in New York: just stop selling iPhones.

http://consumerist.com/2009/12/att-cust ... phone.html
The iPhone is still available in Apple and AT&T stores in and around New York CIty. Just not online. Why?

Update 1: In a written statement, AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook told Consumerist that "We periodically modify our promotions and distribution channels." We have requested additional details, and will add them when and if they become available.

Update 2 (12/28/09): New York customers are now able to order iPhones via AT&T's Web site. It would appear that the company has once more modified its "promotions and distribution channels." We've requested a statement from AT&T, and will update this post it if and when we receive it.
there was also talk about fraud being the reason for the temporary halt to online sales.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Here you go mister816.  Oh by the way ATT also scored better in the latest customer service rankings than Sprint as well.

AT&T has a 75 percent chance of keeping the device, made by Apple Inc., through 2011, analysts Jonathan Chaplin and Bill Shope said in a report. That could be 12 to 18 months longer than investors anticipated, as many expected the exclusivity to cease this year, they said.
Calling a spade a spade.