iPhone/AT&T question?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: iPhone/AT&T question?

Post by jdubwaldo »

AT&T tells me I must have a faulty SIM card, and that often when they replace, the service is fine.  I am hoping that is true, although very skeptical my hubby and I both coincidentally have faulty sim cards.  I don't think so! : ) 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

jdubwaldo wrote: AT&T tells me I must have a faulty SIM card, and that often when they replace, the service is fine.  I am hoping that is true, although very skeptical my hubby and I both coincidentally have faulty sim cards.  I don't think so! : ) 
interesting. make sure you make calls with your current SIM right in front of them to prove there's a problem before they swap it out. of course i'm a fan of the device, but even skeptics should appreciate how ingenious the SIM slot is! most devices require removal of the battery case and/or battery, with the card held in place by flimsy metal guides. this one works like an SD card slot!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KC0KEK wrote: I've had Sprint's SERO plan for a few years. It rocks. I see that the rates have increased, but they've also added a bunch of services.
just a heads up--you can't use the "old" SERO plans (pre-Hesse era) with any of the new OMGSMRT phones (Pre, Android, etc).  it's tearing me up inside, too :(
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

kard wrote: just a heads up--you can't use the "old" SERO plans (pre-Hesse era) with any of the new OMGSMRT phones (Pre, Android, etc).  it's tearing me up inside, too :(
Not surprising. But there might be a loophole. When I renewed in November 2008, my plan was $10 too low to qualify for the discount on the HTC Touch Pro, so I added Sprint Navigation. A few months later, I wondered if I could drop that without penalty. The CSR told me I could, so now I'm back to my original $30 plan (500 peak minutes and unlimited data). Maybe that loophole still exists.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Pork Chop wrote: Verizon is not switching over to GSM they are going to use LTE for their 4G network, which is not GSM.
Yes and no. LTE is part of the same family of technologies (3GPP) as GSM. But as part of its switch to LTE, VZW won't also be supporting legacy technologies such as GSM and GPRS.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KC0KEK wrote: Yes and no. LTE is part of the same family of technologies (3GPP) as GSM. But as part of its switch to LTE, VZW won't also be supporting legacy technologies such as GSM and GPRS.
LTE uses a completely different technology  that was made to be backwards compatible to legacy wireless networks both GSM and CDMA. Verizon and other carriers would need to ensure that their subscribers can use both their LTE and CDMA networks for the foreseeable future until such a time when the legacy networks would not be required. For Verizon I believe that is at least until 2020 maybe longer. LTE is in the same family of technologies like WiMax is in the same family of technologies as CDMA. WiMax is backward compatible to both CDMA and GSM in the same way LTE is. There is a need for the legacy technologies to work along side both LTE and WiMax until there is no longer a need for the current 3G networks and that can take many years.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

LTE is in the same family of technologies as WiMAX in the sense that they're both OFDMA-based. But LTE is "is part of the GSM evolutionary path" (http://www.3gamericas.org/index.cfm?fus ... tionid=249).
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Seriously I want to hear the reasons you'd return an iPhone and go back to Sprint.  I understand they're less expensive but seriously if you're that broke take a get out of jail card and go straight to Boost.
Calling a spade a spade.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

ShowME wrote: Seriously I want to hear the reasons you'd return an iPhone and go back to Sprint.  I understand they're less expensive but seriously if you're that broke take a get out of jail card and go straight to Boost.
Because I used to be a diehard Nextel Fan?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

ShowME wrote: Seriously I want to hear the reasons you'd return an iPhone and go back to Sprint.  I understand they're less expensive but seriously if you're that broke take a get out of jail card and go straight to Boost.
I assume you are directing this at me.  I'm broke, really??  I find this presumption to be hilarious for a whole host of reasons.  Did anything here I have ever said lead you to believe that?  I am saying we will take AT&T to stick it because their service sucks. 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KC0KEK wrote: LTE is in the same family of technologies as WiMAX in the sense that they're both OFDMA-based. But LTE is "is part of the GSM evolutionary path" (http://www.3gamericas.org/index.cfm?fus ... tionid=249).
Thank you for making my point from your above link:
Long Term Evolution, or LTE, is part of the GSM evolution strategy beyond 3G. LTE evolution is an entirely new radio platform technology.
That's what I was addressing from the quote below:
Quote from: dangerboy on December 01, 2009, 09:57:57 AM
Verizon won't get the iPhone for at least another year or two, once they switch over from the old CDMA network to GSM. Apple isn't going to create a CDMA phone just for Verizon when 75% of the planet uses GSM and Verizon is going that way anyway.
The planet is moving to most likely two different technologies that are based on OFDMA (except on the uplink for LTE), 1. WiMax and 2. LTE. Not that most people actually care about the underlying technologies as long as it works for them. But, LTE is not based off the technology that is underlines GSM: EDGE, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA Evolution (HSPA+), which is TDMA and WCDMA.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Right. I'm just saying that although LTE is entirely new, it's still the product of 3GPP, the same folks who came up with GSM through HSPA. That's why it was surprise, at least to some, that CDMA ops such as Verizon would go from CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A to LTE, instead of to Rev. B or Rev. C.

In the 4G world, LTE probably will be to WiMAX what GSM is to CDMA in terms of market share and fodder for a new round of debates over which technology is superior. And will we ever see LTE and WiMAX harmonization? That's probably easier technically than politically.

I tested WiMAX a few weeks ago when I was in Seoul, and it was pretty impressive. I haven't tried any U.S. WiMAX networks, such as Clearwire's, though.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

can you guys translate your tech talk so us goobers can make sense of it?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

bbqboy wrote: can you guys translate your tech talk so us goobers can make sense of it?
WiMAX and LTE: Fast download and upload speeds, as in single-digit Mbps.

GSM vs. CDMA and WiMAX vs. LTE: Think of it JoCo vs. JaCo, or KU vs. MU.

3GPP: An international organization that cranks out one type of wireless standards.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

jdubwaldo wrote: AT&T tells me I must have a faulty SIM card, and that often when they replace, the service is fine.  I am hoping that is true, although very skeptical my hubby and I both coincidentally have faulty sim cards.  I don't think so! : ) 
i don't need the wireless 101 that hijacked this thread, but i am curious to hear how your SIM replacement went!
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I'm going to the AT&T Store tonight after work, so will let you know.  I am still experiencing horrible dropped calls and background noise.  I was talking to my dad last night and he said it sounded like I had dropped it in the toilet and flushed.  haha!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DaveKCMO wrote: i don't need the wireless 101 that hijacked this thread, but i am curious to hear how your SIM replacement went!
It is interesting to hear people actually knowledgable on the subject for once, rather than these talking heads you get in the retail stores.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

jdubwaldo wrote: I am saying we will take AT&T to stick it because their service sucks.  
never had one problem with ATT iphone service in KC-- downtown, northeast, crown center, plaza, mission, lawrence, south joco, k10 corridor. very pleased with it actually. i don't think i've ever had a dropped call, but i don't sit and talk on the phone in every public/private place possible like many obnoxious midwesterners.

this is the geekiest thread i've read.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

trailerkid wrote: never had one problem with ATT iphone service in KC-- downtown, northeast, crown center, plaza, mission, lawrence, south joco, k10 corridor. very pleased with it actually. i don't think i've ever had a dropped call, but i don't sit and talk on the phone in every public/private place possible like many obnoxious midwesterners.

this is the geekiest thread i've read.
You think folks don't talk on their phones elsewhere? Where would you move to find happiness?