excessively friendly people are irritating

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

excessively friendly people are irritating

Post by Tosspot »

*This post is the result of being home sick from work all day and feeling generally cranky about everything*

I totally don't fall for this facade of pseudo-friendliness that's so popular for corporations like Hy-Vee, Sprawl-Mart, or even Chipotle to force their beleaguered workers to act out in an effort to appease the moronic, lifeless, soulless kinds of people who apparently troll around retail in America (or what's left of it) day in and day out expecting their asses to be kissed by total strangers.

"Hy-Vee, where there's a helpful smile, in every aisle..."

:puke:

Kill me gently with a chainsaw. To chain store management drips who come up with these obtuse ideas - pull something innovative out of your pea-brains for once instead of regurgitating all the worn-out crap they've been peddling in business school forever.

In high school I quite stupidly applied for, and accepted a job at Hy-Vee in Prairie Village. I still have the utterly cringe-inducing and ridicule-worthy customer service training video burned into my memory. Even though over four thousand days have passed since that time of personal tribulation, l still find myself waking up at 3 AM in a cold sweat, hearing the voice of that damnable "Shirley the friendly waitress" searing through my antediluvian recollect, haunting me like the perpetual tormentor she is.

Another great source of fun and laughs in my high school working times was a similarly putrefactious part time job in the veritable moron crescent that is AMF West Lanes on Metcalf. It was there I first realized that the customer is in fact quite often wrong, and even on occasion someone of such contemptible character that he or she should never be allowed in public or to associate with other human beings.

A third high school employment - Marsh's Sun Fresh in Westport. Actually this job wasn't quite as idiotic to the same degree the others I mention were, however, a couple of customers stand out in particular even after all this time.

I was a cashier at the store. Apparently these two customers didn't think I was "friendly" enough. One was this very likely sexually repressed old fart who sputtered on how Marsh's was supposed to be "a friendly store," because when they built the damn place some moron had the great idea of hanging dopey signs from the ceiling that said "the friendliest stores in town." Sorry, you old coot, this ain't a friendly store despite what the sign says, so shut the fuck up. Same goes to the fat fuck who berated me on a Sunday morning rush because I apparently wasn't friendly enough then either.

And when I'm at Chipotle, I don't want to hear "what would you like on your chicken tacos today?" in that infernal, perky voice that exudes far more "friendliness" than is warranted in a chain burrito shack. And why do retail employees say the word "today" so often? Manufactured friendliness, much like manufactured merriment, is so transparent that I would hope most people can see the dopiness of it. If only George Carlin were still alive.

*serious note*  -- I understand the appeal of not having rude, nasty, useless employees in a retail store. I was not, nor are most other people who work retail of that variety. And these last few years I feel fortunate in that I haven't had to work a job like this, but likewise when I go somewhere now and have a retail employee putting on this suck-up routine of friendless, I want to slap them for their own sake and send them to some kind of self-esteem class.

And, it's that there truly are some people comprising the public at large this daft about relating to other humans. I guess that's no shock, but I felt like writing this afternoon. 

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: excessively friendly people are irritating

Post by chrizow »

shut your pie-hole!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Hey Toss, it's really OK.  Nobody likes you anyway.

Feeling better yet?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yeah, really.

fuck you tosspot.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

A pox on all of you! May pestilence and plague befall each of you monosyllabic mouth-breathing mangy ogres!

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I got one thing Toss.

Foamy the squirrel rules. Period.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

I think yo need a trip to Gates.

HI MAY I HELP YOU!!!! :shock: :shock:

Its all about customer service baby!!

Sportster
...just don't turn me into a newt
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Foamy the squirrel rules. Period.
He is quite an icon of our times.
Sportster wrote: I think yo need a trip to Gates.

HI MAY I HELP YOU!!!! :shock: :shock:

Its all about customer service baby!!
Gates BBQ is more about latent sadomasochism than overt friendliness, in my opinion.

photoblog. 

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Face it, Toss, you just weren't cut out for a job that involved public contact.

Would you rather have these people ignore you or tell you to go to hell?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Yeah, get it out of your system Toss. I've seen you with the public and you're actually very nice to total strangers. Even moronic ones.

Go back to bed.
the only thing for sure is change.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

check out philadelphia...people go out of their way to not be excessively friendly.  :)
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Thank you sir and have a wonderful day! :lol:
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Tosspot wrote: Gates BBQ is more about latent sadomasochism than overt friendliness, in my opinion.
BS. Gates is about Ribs and Rings!
the only thing for sure is change.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Cyclops wrote: BS. Gates is about Ribs and Rings!
Rings?

Jack Stack.

Sportster
...w/ horsey sauce please
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

What Chipotle are you going to?

I've never gotten that vibe (at all) at either of the Lawrence stores.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I have to agree with TK here.  All Chipotles I've been to don't speak much english until I get to the cash register.  Then suddenly they are more fluent than myself.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

warwickland wrote:check out philadelphia...people go out of their way to not be excessively friendly.  :)
Depends on how drunk they are, and whether the Eagles won...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: I totally don't fall for this facade of pseudo-friendliness that's so popular for corporations like Hy-Vee, Sprawl-Mart, or even Chipotle to force their beleaguered workers to act out in an effort to appease the moronic, lifeless, soulless kinds of people who apparently troll around retail in America (or what's left of it) day in and day out expecting their asses to be kissed by total strangers.
Original Author: Here.

I hope this makes you feel better, Tosspot!   :wink:
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC is the way to be!
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

mean wrote: Depends on how drunk they are, and whether the Eagles won...
and whether they are SEPTA employees or are bumper bumpin' directly in front of pats king of steaks where there is clearly no parking.