ONGOING: The Obama Administration

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: ONGOING: The Obama Administration

Post by Tosspot »

Haha, I was elucidating on Mr. D's "debate" methods a couple weeks ago. This is just how it goes. I'm sure we can expect eight more years of this. Yep, that's eight.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Oh, I know. I've said a variation of that after any number of identical MD statements. He persists. So will I. :lol:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

First off, you're incorrect if you deny that those arguments were used in 1998.  They were.

Second, I fail to see your point about "identifying" people by name.  Should I say, "Julian Bond came on Hannity & Colmes in 1998 and argued taht Clinton's impeachment...."?  Seems like a high burden to expect from a msg board posting.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Wikipedia sure is a great thing!

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Whether those arguments were used or not is not at issue. I have no doubt someone, Julian Bond and probably any number of other pundits, said something along the lines of what you quoted. Fine. However, attributing such a quote to "libs" in general and making a blanket assumption that everyone you define as a "lib" (which is an enormously broad swath of America) agreed with that sentiment at the time is your first fallacy.

Your second fallacy is then taking something someone completely different said ten years later and assuming that person agreed with the first quote from 1998, which you haven't even attempted to demonstrate (quoth MD, "Prove it.")

Your third fallacy is to go even further and attribute the second quote to all "libs" and then act like, gee, look at all those stupid hypocrites saying one thing then saying the opposite a decade later. It's just dumb.

The reality is, two distinct individuals who have most likely never met and almost certainly have completely divergent opinions on any number of topics, whose only similarity is that you happen to call them "libs," made statements that can be considered vaguely conflicting when analyzed in a vacuum, ten years apart.

And then you act like it is an indictment of all liberal thought.  :lol:

I suppose an argument like, "In 1998, Julian Bond argued that Clinton's impeachment was effectively overturning an election. But then in 2008, Rochelle Riley wrote an editorial that said Bush should be impeached! Gosh darn those two individuals and their conflicting opinions! It must mean all people I would consider liberals are hypocrites!" would too effectively expose the sheer stupidity.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote:
Libs told us in 1998 that impeaching Clinton, was "overturning the results of an election."

So it's really confusing to me that they turn right around and favor impeaching W.  Overturning his elections, you know.
I was unaware that Rochelle Riley of the Detroit Free Press speaks for all "libs". One person calls for impeachment, and that of course means that all libs are turning right around favoring impeachment of W. Those hypocrites!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

What are libs?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Anyone who hates freedom!
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Until this country finally smashes the federal government, cuts it down to size, and returns more power to state and local governments this bullshit will continue.  Too much authority is centralized in Washington, the power is perpetuated by political and social elites, and 90% of the country is left watching the clown show with no recourse. 

There was a time in this country when Senators were appointed by state legislators.  At least under this regime Senators had to answer to state legislators who had to answer to their communities.  No wonder the Senate has completely run a muck with pork spending, they have nobody to answer to!  Vote one party out, the other steps in and does the same damn thing. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

jlbomega wrote:There was a time in this country when Senators were appointed by state legislators.  At least under this regime Senators had to answer to state legislators who had to answer to their communities.  No wonder the Senate has completely run a muck with pork spending, they have nobody to answer to!  Vote one party out, the other steps in and does the same damn thing.
let me get this right:

voters electing state legislators appointing senators leads to more accountability than voters directly electing senators

er, ok.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

voltopt wrote: What are libs?
ALL conservatives believe a "lib" is a moral and social perversion.

There, I've said it, a blanket assertion,  so that means every Conservative believes this, right Mr. D?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

advocrat wrote: ALL conservatives believe a "lib" is a moral and social perversion.

There, I've said it, a blanket assertion,  so that means every Conservative believes this, right Mr. D?
Libs aren't perverse in any blanket way.  They are generally very good when it comes to issues of personal rights, with a few exceptions (such as gun ownership or political correctness/speech).
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Diversity makes the World go round so just love everybody!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Maitre D wrote: Libs aren't perverse in any blanket way.   They are generally very good when it comes to issues of personal rights, with a few exceptions (such as gun ownership or political correctness/speech).
So I'm confused, am I a lib or not?
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

ComandanteCero wrote: let me get this right:

voters electing state legislators appointing senators leads to more accountability than voters directly electing senators

er, ok.
Senators are not accountable at all under this scheme.  At least when elected by state legislators they acted on behalf of people who actually watched what they are doing.  Today Senators act on behalf of special interest.  I choose state legislators over special interest any day.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Guns are awesome!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

jlbomega wrote: Until this country finally smashes the federal government, cuts it down to size, and returns more power to state and local governments this bullshit will continue.  Too much authority is centralized in Washington, the power is perpetuated by political and social elites, and 90% of the country is left watching the clown show with no recourse. 
I remain unconvinced that the federal government is more of a clown show than some of the state governments. Phil Kline? Kansas BOE?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, but at the state level you tend to be more likely to get the government you deserve. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Blanket use of "libs" is used no more than "neocons" by you lefties.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote: Yeah, but at the state level you tend to be more likely to get the government you deserve. 
Indeed - plus it is logistically much easier to move states if you don't like the laws than it is to move to a different country.