Religion...

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Religion...

Post by Joe Smith »

God posted this one yesterday.

Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Here's one God posted last week.

---------------------------------------

The winner of SMITE DAY is religion.

Why did mankind ever invent religions? Why do they have to make up so many silly rules for loving the LORD?

We now have all these religions that worship Me and hate each other. Religions kill and kill and kill.

And then, to make things worse, religions are always begging for money so they can expand the church or mosque and add a frigging Starbucks.

The LORD is working to free all humans from the crushing idiocy of organized religion forever. When I am done, all religions will be abandoned and everyone will just worship Me here, on Facebook. And when people think of God, they will only be able to see My Smiling Face.

SMITE!

Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Here's another one from God. Last week I believe.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:But there is a big majority of us that are not fundamentalists, we care about our beliefs but accept that others can have different beliefs.
That's fine, but then you and they are not relevant to this discussion.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:People go around doing harm to others for reasons other than religion. Do you have strong feelings about that like you do religion?
Um, of course, but none of those are the title of this thread.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:Don't most of us get along?
The ones who get along aren't the problem. Not sure why you keep bringing them up.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:Yes, many are killed in the name of religion but you almost sound like we are just a moment away from killing each other.
Then you're misreading.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:You may or may not be paranoid buy it sure sounds to me you have a deep fear of Muslims or at least how people of different faiths get along. Believe it or not a very large majority of us get along just fine, even with our beliefs in silly ancient different texts.
It's not muslims in particular, it's anyone who thinks that stuff written down by primitive warring tribes who hated each other and whose gods demanded they kill anyone who didn't believe is literal, divine, infallible truth. That does frighten me, regardless of which god commanded it, although I'd speculate that there are a lot more followers of Allah and Yaweh prepared to kill folks at the moment than, say, followers of Thor or Quetzalcoatl, so it seems a little more relevant to talk about them in general.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCMax wrote:
grovester wrote:Not sure where you got any of that from the quote.
This. Misses the entire point of the quote entirely.
All I can think is mean saw the word "pope" and replied to a post from 8 pages ago.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

That does frighten me, regardless of which god commanded it
You know, non-believers, atheists, have a pretty good record of killing.

Mao Zedong 63,000,000

Joseph Stalin 60,000,000

Adolf Hitler 6,000,000 plus

Pol Pot 2,500,000

People kill for many reasons. And yes religion can be one of them. But religion can also cause people to do good. You and others seem to concentrate on the negatives of religion and fail to take into account the good that religion can do.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm not sure how this irrelevant digression has managed to erupt out of my opining that a muslim might be irritated at being told he was washed in the blood of Jesus, but it's obviously sunk to a very sad state. My point was never that religious people are bad, or that atheists are better than religious people, or whatever nonsensical strawman point I never made that you're trying to argue against.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

When people believe in the literal truth of silly ancient texts written by barbaric warring tribes, it's going to be a challenge for them to get along in civilized modern society.
Let's see, who wrote this?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I apologize for allowing myself to be drug off on a tangent. What do you want me to say?
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:

Mao Zedong 63,000,000

Joseph Stalin 60,000,000

Pol Pot 2,500,000

People kill for many reasons. And yes religion can be one of them. But religion can also cause people to do good. You and others seem to concentrate on the negatives of religion and fail to take into account the good that religion can do.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Which begs a question. Is it better to die for God or for Country (which an atheist could do)?
Of course, they didn't actually blow themselves up but what about those soldiers, some were atheists I assume, who exposed themselves to atomic blasts for science?

What about test pilots, couldn't their deaths be for science? Astronauts?
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Today's message from God
-------------------------------
Jesus will provide as much wine as you need.

The hangover however is your problem.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:

Mao Zedong 63,000,000

Joseph Stalin 60,000,000

Pol Pot 2,500,000

You're not an atheist if you consider yourself a god.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Nice try. I seriously doubt that they considered themselves a 'god'. A person with power does not translate to being a god.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Great jumpin' jebus...

I don't understand why G-d made some people dicks.

I also don't understand why we refer to people who strive to be an irritant, as dicks.

Dicks can be a nice and make life more fun. Irritating people can not.

Life is so complicated, sometimes.......
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Today's message from God

--------------------------------

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Pope Francis Calls Unfettered Capitalism 'A New Tyranny'
Pope Francis called for renewal of the Roman Catholic Church and attacked unfettered capitalism as "a new tyranny", urging global leaders to fight poverty and growing inequality in the first major work he has authored alone as pontiff.

The 84-page document, known as an apostolic exhortation, amounted to an official platform for his papacy, building on views he has aired in sermons and remarks since he became the first non-European pontiff in 1,300 years in March.

In it, Francis went further than previous comments criticizing the global economic system, attacking the "idolatry of money" and beseeching politicians to guarantee all citizens "dignified work, education and healthcare".

He also called on rich people to share their wealth. "Just as the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill' sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say 'thou shalt not' to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills," Francis wrote in the document issued on Tuesday.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Interesting to see the Pope talking about "unfettered capitalism" and the "idolatry of money" FROM THE VATICAN!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I hope that doesn't become the excuse for ignoring his message... but it probably will.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

He may be speaking from the Vatican, but he is certainly not of the Vatican.