KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, It's 8.4 miles between Waldo (75th & Wornall) and the 3000 block of Garfield.

But, it's only 6.7 miles between the KCTV-5 Studios (Fairway, KS) and the 3000 block of Garfield.

Conclusion: The 3000 block of Garfield must actually be in Mexico, where KCTV is located.
KC is the way to be!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

OMG WAS IT A RAPE STANDOFF? Quick, alert the white women!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

This is worse geography than the time a couple years back (I think it's somewhere in this thread) that they described a shootout on 71 Hwy that started in Blue Ridge Blvd and ended near Cleaver Blvd as taking place "on the Plaza".

I tried to give them benefit of doubt and hoped maybe they simply had the address wrong, but that photo with the story is of a church at 29th & Garfield.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Somebody better send them an email so they can issue a correction letting everyone know this took place "near downtown" instead of in Waldo.  :lol:
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

That reminds me of when one of the news stations was reporting about that chemical explosion/fire that happened kind of near downtown a couple of years ago.  They weren't sure of the name of the plant at first, but finally identified it as "whatever name".  What cracked me up was they kept saying it was "whatever", even after their helicopter started circling and you could clearly see that the name of the building that was on fire was something different.  I guess no one in the studio was watching the live feed coming from the guy in the helicopter.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I called them out via twitter but I'm pretty sure they don't even know how twitter works, they just had some national mandate to get a twitter account to spam all their web stories.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It really doesn't matter which station you watch - everyone on any station is completely oblivious to what's going on around them or where it's happening.  Today at lunch I caught a few minutes of the local NBC news and Christa Dubill (is she pregnant AGAIN?) admitted she didn't know who Justin Beiber was or why he's famous.  You'd think that a co-anchor her age would have at least heard of him or that she'd make it a point to peruse the internet from time to time.  It's like people can just show up to a news-related job and not have any personal OR professional obligation to know what they're reporting on.

And yes, I know the Justin Beiber thing is a bad example for starting my Christa rant.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcjak wrote: she didn't know who Justin Beiber was or why he's famous.  You'd think that a co-anchor her age would have at least heard of him or that she'd make it a point to peruse the internet from time to time. 
i had to google mr. bieber just now, and i wish i hadn't.  sometimes i think it's best to be culturally ignorant.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: i had to google mr. bieber just now, and i wish i hadn't.  sometimes i think it's best to be culturally ignorant.
Indeed, I would actually like to stand up and applaud a tv news outlet for being ignorant or a worthless piece of pre-packaged mass-media hype like Mr. Bieber.  I would be far more nauseated having to watch the network news hacks spit out a contrived effort to pass off some media appearance by Mr. Bieber as news, sandwiched in between breaking updates on the latest survivor or dancing with the stars outcomes.  If only we could all be so lucky as to enjoy the same Bieber-ignorance as Chrizow and Ms. Dubill. 
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'm no fan of the Bieb, but cultural ignorance is not something I look for in a news anchor.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Indeed, I would actually like to stand up and applaud a tv news outlet for being ignorant or a worthless piece of pre-packaged mass-media hype like Mr. Bieber.  I would be far more nauseated having to watch the network news hacks spit out a contrived effort to pass off some media appearance by Mr. Bieber as news
word.  when would anything bieber does be even remotely relevant as "news?"  unless bieber deployed an IED in times square or throat-punched barack obama, i'd say that his visage (and those like him) should not appear on any news broadcast.  local news broadcasts contain about 20 minutes of "content," and only about five minutes of that consists of anything significant.  and of those five minutes, none of it is covered in a degree of depth that one could not achieve with a cursory scan of the headlines on cnn.com or nytimes.com.  pathetic.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Its important to some people. Not me. Not you, but some people. These are the same people that like car chases, want to know about shootings, and like 10 minute weather segments.

But I do wish they'd customize a news program that is for me. I guess I don't see why newspapers, which seem to be dying, don't merge with a local news station and create a more serious news program that goes in-depth and provides video to the news stories they have reported on. I seem to recall NPR doing a story on how the Lawrence Journal-World had done that to some relative success.  

Then again, even if they did this, the idea that people my age have the time or the inclination to sit down at 5 or 6 pm and watch the news is kind of quaint.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

kcjak wrote: It really doesn't matter which station you watch - everyone on any station is completely oblivious to what's going on around them or where it's happening. 
I always like it when they confuse the Little Blue River and the Big Blue River.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I "love" how frequently they use locations that are ambiguous, usually in traffic reports, but give no further clarification to let you know where the incident actually is:

I-35 & Antioch
I-70 & I-435
I-35 & I-435
I-435 & The Missouri River
I-35 & 69 Hwy  (There's what, 6 of those?  :)  )
(87th or 95th) & I-435

A few weeks ago there was a blurb about a wreck closing northbound 35 at Antioch right near the start of rush hour.   My co-workers who live north of the river all started planning alternate routes before we eventually learned from another news source that the wreck was actually in Kansas.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, during their 9pm news, KCTV 5 reported a flash flood on a "busy Kansas City road" - which was actually N. Amity near Zona Rosa.  If you don't know, N. Amity is a less-traveled 2-lane road.

Oh, and what caused the flash flood?  Brush Creek.

Therefore, what was the headline on the screen?  "Brush Creek floods in Northland."
KC is the way to be!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, I saw that about the Northland Brush Creek. They should rename it.

Either that, or build a shopping center with architecture based on Seville, Spain, and call it The Plaza.  Then that Plaza can flood all the time.
There is no fifth destination.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I think it's becoming apparent that KCTV is populated with low cost, non resident reporters that have no intention of staying in KC and are just producing stories to put on their demo reel. This should be taken care of by the editor but he probably is promising these reporters that they can do this very thing. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote: I think it's becoming apparent that KCTV is populated with low cost, non resident reporters that have no intention of staying in KC and are just producing stories to put on their demo reel. This should be taken care of by the editor but he probably is promising these reporters that they can do this very thing. 
Isn't this the case with most modern journalism? I think the days of a journalist being a local resident and staying in a community forever are gone. Most reporters seem to be out-of-towners, who work their way up from Joplin to Little Rock to Kansas City, before moving on to bigger markets. This does the market a huge disservice as much of the narrative and context of a story can be lost by someone that does not understand the history of the city.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCMax wrote: Isn't this the case with most modern journalism? I think the days of a journalist being a local resident and staying in a community forever are gone. Most reporters seem to be out-of-towners, who work their way up from Joplin to Little Rock to Kansas City, before moving on to bigger markets. This does the market a huge disservice as much of the narrative and context of a story can be lost by someone that does not understand the history of the city.
I agree. There are always exceptions but we are gonna see a lot of beat reporters beating their way through town.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yeah, it's hard to get someone to stay around and become the next Micheal Mahoney, or Dave Helling, who really do understand this city probably better than anyone.
Last edited by FangKC on Fri May 28, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.