KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Post by lock+load »

"Click on Detroit".
Last edited by lock+load on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I get ABC 4 Honolulu.  Awesome.  I've always wanted to visit Hawaii!

What were your doing on the KCTV 5 site anyway?  Looking for entertainment?    :P
KC is the way to be!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

WPXI Pittsburgh.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I get Albuquerque. This is a fun game!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

WCVB 5 Boston now
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

WJAC TV.  Had to enlist Wikipedia to figure out where the hell this one is -- Altoona, PA.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

AllThingsKC wrote: I get ABC 4 Honolulu.  Awesome.  I've always wanted to visit Hawaii!

What were your doing on the KCTV 5 site anyway?  Looking for entertainment?    :P
Entertainment, duh!
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

Tosspot wrote: It's staggering how much ALL FOUR of the local TV news shows are so idiotic. I find them painful to watch. Channel 5 for the reasons you guys mention - they're sensationalist hacks. I remember one time they planted an unattended bag at KCI, then cried foul and did a LIVE LATE BREAKING report on how no one gave a shit about the bag, meaning that we're all in TERRIBLE DANGER!

FOX 4 sucks too. I can't respect any news broadcast that reports every bloody day on the recent happenings on American Idol.

Channels 9 and 41 ... maybe not as bad as Channel 5, but still mind-numbingly dumb and pointless, with a lot of totally irrelevant material. There's really no good reason to watch local news at all, and the stations like 5 probably know this, and try to pander to the stereotypical dolt who's frightened by life and thinks the boogey-man lurks around every corner. In fact, the demographic that the stations are trying to pander to is deserving of scorn and ridicule. And the latest hot-button issue with the news stations is tracking down those dastardly sex offenders BECAUSE OUR CHILDREN ARE IN DANGER!!!11

:puke:
Yep, according to kc tv stations there is indeed a boogey-man, and he's waiting to get ya! So, go inside, lock your doors, turn on your tv, and let us tell you all about it!
Last edited by mykem on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Reaching for news where there isn't!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I'm now on a broadcast only diet since we got rid of cable/u-verse/dish and am watching local news for the first time in like 8 years. What a abomination they have all become. 4 has some fairly good reporting but the production value is crap. 5 is the opposite (in answer to the question, it's neither). 9 is probably the best of the Special Olympics race we call Kansas City local news and 41 is cake, looks good, taste good, nothing nutritious.

When was the last time any of these channels broke a real story? Filed an in depth continuing report. Enough with the dog catcher blotter sparky.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Daytime news reports are worse. They often have more time, so instead of having content, almost half the noncommercial airtime is taken up by "coming up!" segments, where they show all the footage and summarize stories they'll talk about later. It's akin to most of the programming on VH1.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I see that whole report was the result of a "tipster" who sent an E-Mail to KCTV 5 complaining about this non-news story.

Under that policy, could I e-mail KCTV 5 and ask them to investagate journalism in Kansas City?
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

shinatoo wrote: When was the last time any of these channels broke a real story? Filed an in depth continuing report. Enough with the dog catcher blotter sparky.

Have a relative who is a reporter on a local station.  Much like everything else these news departments have suffered cutbacks and those cutbacks force the stations into a "what is happening now" mode of operation.  At the same time you might have the best news reporting but if no one watches then what have you accomplished. And if no one watches there is no advertising revenue.  And news is one area that produces much of the revenue generated by local stations.   
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Have a relative who is a reporter on a local station.  Much like everything else these news departments have suffered cutbacks and those cutbacks force the stations into a "what is happening now" mode of operation.
that's not new, and it's still no excuse. as long as they continue to cover chiefs, weather, and traffic, people will tolerate the news segment. too bad their idea of "informed viewers" has always been "parrot the police radio to them!". KCUR/KCPT seem to do a decent job with very paltry budgets.

KCTV really should just give up completely.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DaveKCMO wrote: KCUR/KCPT seem to do a decent job with very paltry budgets.
And who watches or listens to them?

What kind of ad revenues do they generate? :P
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And who watches or listens to them?

What kind of ad revenues do they generate? :P
I do, but I know I am in the minority.

Sigh...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

if you combined the substance of all of the local "news" programs in KC, from every channel, you would seriously have about 4 minutes of legitimate content.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think we can generally agree that the answer to the question posed by the thread title is, "No."
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

http://www.kctv5.com/news/23650402/detail.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City, Mo., police responded to their second standoff in two days on Sunday.

According to police department spokeswoman Stacey Graves, officers were called to the 3000 block of Garfield Avenue in the Waldo area shortly after 11 a.m. to respond to a disturbance in the  involving a weapon.

Pure idiots.