KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Everything takes research, do you think someone can just magically pull 25 seconds of copy they probably know nothing about out of thin air?
If there is much going on in the way of research and writing - it sure doesn't come through in the final product. 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

And it takes more than a reporter writing a story to put a newspaper together, yet they manage to pack a lot more in. 
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If there is much going on in the way of research and writing - it sure doesn't come through in the final product. 
I'm not saying local news should get away with producing substandard material because I cannot stand local news and refuse to watch it, but it bothers me that there's this sense out there that TV is just as easy to produce as a newspaper or radio show. It simply isn't true.
lock+load wrote: And it takes more than a reporter writing a story to put a newspaper together, yet they manage to pack a lot more in. 
Right. There's graphic designers and delivery drivers and printers and so and so forth. But, when you break it down story by story, you can crank out a whole lot more information when all you have to do is write something. Think about it from an internet perspective. If you had a blog and you wanted to make a post about something going on today, it might take you 20 minutes to write something. Now, imagine if instead of writing that blog post, you wanted to make a video post. You're going to have to drive to the event, shoot it, maybe do some interviews, come back, edit the piece, do about the same amount of writing and then upload it (and that's not even a live broadcast which requires 10x the resources). How much more time and resources would that take?

Besides, I don't get this argument anyway. The Star uses tons of AP articles in every single paper so it's not like they're writing everything.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Star Crime Scene Blog has an interesting piece on KCTV5:

Judge John Torrence, who oversees Jackson County's Division 14, has written a blistering letter to KCTV over a report aired last week on the Elijah Jones murder trial. There were threats made against several people connected to the case, the judge writes, including the jury.

So, Torrence writes, he's furious that KCTV reportedly showed jurors walking to their cars after the trial.

You placed their lives and welfare in jeopardy and you did so unethically, recklessly and unnecessarily. You could easily have reported the story without showing the video of the jurors. If the directors and producers at Channel 5 weren’t the shameless bottom-feeding predators of the local electronic media that they are, they would be ashamed.
Torrence says he'll never let Channel 5 back in his courtroom, and he encourages the other judges to follow suit.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

NICE!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCTV5 = worse than Hitler
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I watched local news for the first time in years last night and it was tremendous fun. I just sat back and we went all Mystery Science Theater on it, making fun of the sensationalism and the clumsy "expertise" of the anchors and reporters. I enjoyed it.

Therefore, there is a market for local news.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Torrence says he'll never let Channel 5 back in his courtroom, and he encourages the other judges to follow suit.
Awesome!
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

It's staggering how much ALL FOUR of the local TV news shows are so idiotic. I find them painful to watch. Channel 5 for the reasons you guys mention - they're sensationalist hacks. I remember one time they planted an unattended bag at KCI, then cried foul and did a LIVE LATE BREAKING report on how no one gave a shit about the bag, meaning that we're all in TERRIBLE DANGER!

FOX 4 sucks too. I can't respect any news broadcast that reports every bloody day on the recent happenings on American Idol.

Channels 9 and 41 ... maybe not as bad as Channel 5, but still mind-numbingly dumb and pointless, with a lot of totally irrelevant material. There's really no good reason to watch local news at all, and the stations like 5 probably know this, and try to pander to the stereotypical dolt who's frightened by life and thinks the boogey-man lurks around every corner. In fact, the demographic that the stations are trying to pander to is deserving of scorn and ridicule. And the latest hot-button issue with the news stations is tracking down those dastardly sex offenders BECAUSE OUR CHILDREN ARE IN DANGER!!!11

:puke:

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

harbinger911 wrote: Image

Hey Mike, How long have you been waiting for an excuse to post those gems?
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Did anyone catch the Menageskc investigation? Not sure which channel it was on. What a %@#$%% joke.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LindseyLohan wrote: Did anyone catch the Menageskc investigation? Not sure which channel it was on. What a %@#$%% joke.
Girls dancing with girls! It seemed accepted!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: FOX 4 sucks too. I can't respect any news broadcast that reports every bloody day on the recent happenings on American Idol.
They only do that because American Idol is on Fox, so it's like a promo for them.  They report it as "news" to make American Idol seem bigger than it really is.  And, this year they've really been using American Idol as "news" because of the beloved David Cook.
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

AllThingsKC wrote: They only do that because American Idol is on Fox, so it's like a promo for them.  They report it as "news" to make American Idol seem bigger than it really is.  And, this year they've really been using American Idol as "news" because of the beloved David Cook.
Yes, I know it's because there is a network tie-in, but that still doesn't make it any less ridiculous or journalistically questionable.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: Yes, I know it's because there is a network tie-in, but that still doesn't make it any less ridiculous or journalistically questionable.
Absolutely! 
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

http://www.kctv5.com/news/17871789/detail.html

If they found him in the basement of the hospital, why didn't they just take him upstairs instead of taking him to ANOTHER hospital?!  :lol: :lol:

Oh KCTV5, you make me laugh.
RAYTOWN, Mo. -- A shooting was reported in Raytown early Monday morning, police said.

Officers said they are searching for two people who shot a man about 2:30 a.m. at a house near East 87th Street and Greenwood Road.

Police received a 911 call from the house, but the person hung up before they arrived, officers said.

Police found the victim in the basement of the hospital. 

He was taken to an area hospital. Details of his condition were not being released.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

...and the hospital was NEAR THE PLAZA!!!  Image
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Uh......I'm confused.  I thought KCTV5 was in Kansas City.....

Did someone hack their site?

www.kctv5.com

And in case it gets changed...here is what it shows....

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I get WISN NBC 12 Milwaukee.  Looks like a problem with IBSys, which hosts many local TV news sites.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Mine said Nashville. Good times.