KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
smh
Supporter

Re: KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Post by smh »

Not to mention that the article references City Center Square and the photo is clearly showing evacuees from Town Pavilion. Details, details.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Oh my god, it was utter chaos. My walk to work was riddled with terror at the fear I may be caught in a fiery explosion at any moment.

(Sarcasm, of course. They were directing vehicle traffic around the area but pedestrians were unaffected except right in the very immediate area. No evacuation at my building, across the street from the leak.)
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It was a bit scary, but only because of the sound of the gas spewing from beneath. It sounded like a decent sized waterfall or rapids from afar and had to be a lot of gas. They had the streets blocked off between 10th and 12th. I'm pretty amazed how long it took for any news site to pick up the story. It was very orderly, but there were around a hundred people wandering around 12th and Main (though I'm bad at ballparking big groups).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Not KCTV 5 this time. It's KSHB 41.

They post a viewer-submitted photo of a downed tree branch on a quite Overland Park residential street, with the caption:

"Lee Ann Asl sent us this picture of a large tree branch down at 79th and Hemlock in Overland Park. We haven't confirmed the cause of the downed branch, but we want to know if you're seeing any high water or damage where you are! Send us your rainy day photos at myreport@kshb.com, or upload them to our Facebook page!"

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:We haven't confirmed the cause of the downed branch
GRAVITY
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

From the KCTV 5 Facebook page:

A man was beaten and robbed while getting into his car at the Country Club Plaza. The entertainment district is best known for the great selection of shopping and dining, but lately it is getting a reputation of another kind. Do you feel safe on the Plaza?

Some of the comments:
I don't feel safe parking in those parking garages. Have you seen the kind of trash that is left lying on the ground?

I don't feel safe in Fairway, Kansas.

i think it has to do with ppl trying to survive. no companies are willing to pay livable wages. so the folks who go money by cutting others paychecks have a target on them. is it right? NO. ppl need to leave others alone. god will fix it in the end. but what do rich ppl expect when they hoard money?

No way

No where in the city is it safe anymore , I will not and do not go there.

Miss Sunshine Sad reality is YOUR NOT SAFE ANYWHERE ANYMORE!!!!!

Horrible. ..I hate parking garages....

I was in the doctors office a while back and Dr.Phil was on. And he said somebody tried to rob him on the country club plaza in Kansas City. Pretty embarrassing.

No. I don't like going to the Plaza. Have no desire to go there, or to be on the roads to get there. We lived in Rockhill Gardens 30 years ago ... spent many, many hours at the Plaza and Brookside. Glad we moved to raise our children outside of KC.

:?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

From KCTV 5:

A man who served time in prison for negligent homicide was caught on camera punching a woman after the Jets game. But his mother defended him. Do you feel safe at sporting events in Kansas and Missouri?

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Why the head banging? Whatever I think of KCTV 5 (and that's "not much"), fear of, or at minimum extreme annoyance with, drunken fans is a serious reason why people stop going to games. And I notice they lumped in Sporting KC and NASCAR with the Royals and Chiefs, so they at least made that effort to be balanced.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This morning it was ass cold, but this afternoon it is definitely not ass cold anymore.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Asshat. :lol:
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Now that reports are out that Lochte and his douchebag entourage made up the entire story it got me thinking how many people actually just make up stories like this on a daily basis? On the news we see reports about so and so was carjacked or robbed in westport or wherever but how do we really know? What if they were the one that got blackout drunk, start to pick fights then they end up getting ass kicked then just said they were robbed similar to the Lochte story.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Now that reports are out that Lochte and his douchebag entourage made up the entire story it got me thinking how many people actually just make up stories like this on a daily basis? On the news we see reports about so and so was carjacked or robbed in westport or wherever but how do we really know? What if they were the one that got blackout drunk, start to pick fights then they end up getting ass kicked then just said they were robbed similar to the Lochte story.
There is definitely a tipping point in a lie where you have to decide to admit you made the story up or double down and make up more lies to support/justify your initial lie.

It is still possible that Lochte was a douche at the gas station AND got robbed. My friend went to Brazil last year and was robbed at gunpoint twice in a week in pretty touristy areas. The travel briefing that people got before going to Brazil included mention that cabs frequently work with robbers to deliver marks. I also don't know why you would bother calling the police after getting robbed in Brazil, which was cited as proof they did not get robbed. It would be like calling the police in New York for someone honking the horn in their car too much.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

WTF is Katie Horner doing back? She's on KMBC this time, but thought we were done with her for good.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think she was just filling in for Bryan Busby while he was off.