KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Post by AllThingsKC »

Right now, KCTV 5 is showing this high speed car chase going on in Los Angeles.

Now, I'm not saying that a high speed car chase isn't news, but really, why are they showing THE WHOLE THING in Kansas City?  How is that "news" for Kansas City?

I just don't get it. 
KC is the way to be!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KCTV 5: News or Entertainment?

Post by DaveKCMO »

not news. a total embarrassment.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Earlier this year, the follow events happened on the same day:

• Matt Blunt announces he will not seek re-election.
• Rudy Giuliani steps out of the race.
• Heath Ledger dies.

KCTV's top news story was a string of car break-ins in Kansas City, Missouri.
KC is the way to be!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote: Earlier this year, the follow events happened on the same day:

• Matt Blunt announces he will not seek re-election.
• Rudy Giuliani steps out of the race.
• Heath Ledger dies.

KCTV's top news story was a string of car break-ins in Kansas City, Missouri.
Don't get me wrong - I think the local news and KCTV in particular are a collective pile of shit - but it is the LOCAL news - out of the three, only the Matt Blunt story is remotely local.  They have the National CBS news shows to cover those other stories.  I would just as soon the local news shows spent zero percent of their time trying to cover the big national and international stories and instead focus all their energy on trying to actually do a halfway decent job of covering local issues.  No matter how hard they try, the local news folks are never going to be a good source of information on what is going on in DC or Somalia - so why even try. 
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Don't get me wrong - I think the local news and KCTV in particular are a collective pile of shit - but it is the LOCAL news - out of the three, only the Matt Blunt story is remotely local.  They have the National CBS news shows to cover those other stories.  I would just as soon the local news shows spent zero percent of their time trying to cover the big national and international stories and instead focus all their energy on trying to actually do a halfway decent job of covering local issues.  No matter how hard they try, the local news folks are never going to be a good source of information on what is going on in DC or Somalia - so why even try. 
Because they don't have the resources to fill a show with all local content. Producing something locally means at the very least a camera guy, a reporter, an editor, and maybe a satellite/microwave truck if it's live. That costs way more money than taking 30 seconds of video CBS News sends to all of their affiliates and putting in the show. Don't get me wrong, I agree. It's just basically impossible without changing the format of the show.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

and somehow the Star manages to fill a Local section every single day...
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

By the way, the I didn't see this story on the front pages of Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC web sites.

What was the point of showing this live with the KCTV 5 announcer saying, "Remember, this is the time of day where traffic is heaviest in Los Angeles."  He said that at 4:35 Central time, which would be 2:35 in Los Angeles.    I know LA has heavy traffic at any time of day, but 2:35 is "a time when a traffic is heaviest" in Los Angeles?

I just don't see the point in airing a chase from LA in Kansas City.
KC is the way to be!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

DaveKCMO wrote: and somehow the Star manages to fill a Local section every single day...
well, the star manages to report on all issues on kcmo, not just the negative ones. so it is easier for them to do that. kctv5 believes that the only reporting that should be done on kcmo should center on either sports or crime.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DaveKCMO wrote: and somehow the Star manages to fill a Local section every single day...
TV is a completely different animal from print. It takes ONE person to write a couple articles a day. It takes a lot of people to fill just 5 minutes of air-time on TV.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: TV is a completely different animal from print. It takes ONE person to write a couple articles a day. It takes a lot of people to fill just 5 minutes of air-time on TV.
oh, i'm well aware of that. what KCTV chooses to air still reeks of sensationalism and is rarely grounded in reality. for as much money they spend on their "investigative" reports, they could easily compete effectively with the star for real local coverage. the problem with TV, of course, is the hyper-competitive ratings game.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I can not say anything about KCTV5 because WIBW13 has the channel blacked out on our cable system.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DaveKCMO wrote: oh, i'm well aware of that. what KCTV chooses to air still reeks of sensationalism and is rarely grounded in reality. for as much money they spend on their "investigative" reports, they could easily compete effectively with the star for real local coverage. the problem with TV, of course, is the hyper-competitive ratings game.
I don't disagree with that. Local news is the worst piece of trash on television. I don't know how anyone watches it.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Local news is the worst piece of trash on television. I don't know how anyone watches it.
Some local news stations do better than others, IMO.
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I know someone on the inside that says  their website is designed for pure shock factor and entertainment purposes.

Edit, I just made that up.   
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

AllThingsKC wrote: By the way, the I didn't see this story on the front pages of Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC web sites.
Actually CNN had a live feed in a big "breaking news" banner at the top of their site yesterday afternoon.  We were watching it at work.  Fun chase but ended dully.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

scooterj wrote: Actually CNN had a live feed in a big "breaking news" banner at the top of their site yesterday afternoon.   We were watching it at work.
Who cares?  KCTV 5 still sucks!    &&&
KC is the way to be!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Oh I agree.  I also think CNN sucks for making it their top story too!  :)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: TV is a completely different animal from print. It takes ONE person to write a couple articles a day. It takes a lot of people to fill just 5 minutes of air-time on TV.
I have a hard time buying that - so much of the local news just smacks of pure laziness.  They jump on pretty much any story where they can go out and get video with an absolute minimum of required text.  There is like one story a night where you can tell someone has actually gone out and done some research and written a chunk of informative content - probably done a week ahead of time.  Its like they have one person working part time to actually research the story and write the copy - everything else is what they could film and slap a few scentences to. 
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Anymore, media outlets are just glorified blogs.
A fool and your money are soon united.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I have a hard time buying that - so much of the local news just smacks of pure laziness.  They jump on pretty much any story where they can go out and get video with an absolute minimum of required text.  There is like one story a night where you can tell someone has actually gone out and done some research and written a chunk of informative content - probably done a week ahead of time.  Its like they have one person working part time to actually research the story and write the copy - everything else is what they could film and slap a few scentences to. 
For something simple, a camera guy goes out and shoots, brings back the tape for an editor who puts it together, the anchor writes the copy. That's 3 people working to fill 25 seconds. If there's a live shot, that's a camera guy, truck operator, engineer, reporter, anchor all working to fill a couple minutes. That's not even counting the producer, director, technical director, chyron op, audio op, studio camera ops, stage manager, engineer, and master control operators that actually get the show on the air.

Everything takes research, do you think someone can just magically pull 25 seconds of copy they probably know nothing about out of thin air?