TempurPedic?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

TempurPedic?

Post by MightyKC »

I have been shopping around for a new mattress for a while now and I am interested in a TempurPedic.  Does anyone have one, or know anyone that does?  If so, would you recommend it?  Thanks in advance.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: TempurPedic?

Post by anniewarbucks »

I have heard that they are good matreses. I have never layed on one. I still have my sertapedic matress That I bought 10 years ago and it is till comfortable.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

DO NOT buy anything with pillow-top.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I know several people who have these and say they are the best mattress they have ever had. The only negative I've ever heard are the cost and that it is hot to sleep on.

I have no personal experience.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

schugg wrote: DO NOT buy anything with pillow-top.
why? will i get scoliosis?
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

My husband and I love ours, and believe it's worth the price you pay.  Why?

If you have back troubles you'll especially enjoy it bc your weight is gently and evenly distributed when you lay on it.  It's sooo comfortable.  If you've ever layed on a W hotel's Heavenly Bed (I think some Sheraton's have them too?), a Tempurpedic is that times ten. 

If you or your partner has trouble sleeping bc you or they toss at night, this cuts the Whale in the Bed syndrome by 80%, at least.  My husband torpedo rolls when he turns over at night and so I never got a really great night's sleep 'til we got this bed. 

We were initially concerned about the rumors we heard about it being a hot (temperature-wise) bed to sleep on bc my husband is sensitive to temperature; he really hates being too hot.  We knew we could return it if he didn't like it so we decided to go for it.  We've had the bed since September of last year and haven't noticed that we're laying on a bed of hot coals...at any time. 

Go to Nebraska Furniture Mart to try out every memory foam style they have, and definitely test the competitor's beds as well (they're all fine quality at this point).  The sales people are great and won't rush you as you test the beds.  Once my husband and I decided between which two we liked the best, we went back and forth between them for almost a half an hour.  We'd curl up, spoon, close our eyes just to get the real *feel* for the thing and nobody seemed to notice- well, one older lady went, "Aaaw, look isn't that adorable?"  but that's not negative attention, right?  :D  And even if you're concerned w/ someone getting uppity about it, put it out of your mind immediately- you'll be paying for and sleeping on the thing for years to come, so it's nobody's business but your own. 

Oh, and don't forget to add a mattress guard to your purchase.  It really will help extend the life of your bed.  For the fun of it, we copied the commercial and jumped on the bed w/ a glass of wine sitting on it.  It really won't spill, but if you set it on the bed and happen to accidentally knock it over w/ your hand...let's just say I'm the voice of experience here and leave it at that.  :oops:

Last but not least, Schugg is right- you might want to skip the version that has the pillow top affixed to it.  I know of 2 people who bought it and returned it.  I tried it out myself in the store, but it just seemed like overkill to me.  The bed is wonderful w/o it. 

Happy shopping! 
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

DaveKCMO wrote: why? will i get scoliosis?
  :D:lol: 
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Thanks for the review.  Do you mind me asking which model you ended up with?  I typically prefer a firm mattress and therefore didn't really like the pillowtop style.  I also really didn't notice a big difference between the basic model and the thicker one (especially for a 50% price increase).  I think the deluxe was nice but I worry about it being too soft.  Right now I am leaning towards the basic model

Thanks again
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

I think we got the one they were calling firm, but I honestly don't remember! I'll ask my husband when he gets home, and if he remembers i'll post again. 
jaysonv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jaysonv »

I second the memory foam options at Nebraska Furniture Mart.  I've had my TempurPedic-like mattress for 9 months now and I am 100% satisfied. 

At first it was a little strange to plop down on the bed and sink in instead of bouncing back, but now I really notice a difference when I sleep in other beds.  I generally prefer a harder mattress but now when I sleep on a spring mattress I feel like I'm going to wake up bruised ( only slightly exaggerating there...).  It's soft at first but really they're quite firm.  I thought I'd sink down inches into it, but it seems to conform only just enough to provide support.

I did lay in almost every single mattress at NFM.  I even went back and forth between the cheapest memory foam bed and the most expensive pocket-coil spring mattress with extra pillow top and I felt most aligned on the memory foam. 

If you have a platform bed, you can skip buying the box spring (or base for memory foam since I don't think it's actually a box spring).  The bed will sit right on the support slats of a platform bed.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Thanks Jayson.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

The one I bought had the base included in the deal, and most don't sell the mattress w/o it.  Hmm.  Do you remember what the cost difference was btwn one that had the base and didn't?  Just curious.
jaysonv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jaysonv »

I think the price that was on the sticker included the base.  I had to ask what the price for the mattress only was.  I can't remember clearly enough to even give a guestimate, but I want to say that it was the same amount as the price difference between the Full and Queen sizes because I was going to get the Full but found out I could get the Queen mattress-only for about the same price.