Tiny Houses

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Tiny Houses

Post by eclair »

I love the idea of a 97 square foot house -- I'm not sure I could handle actually living in one, but I definitey love the thought of trying.  It would force you to rid yourself of all that junk you carry around, pare back to the bare necessities, and think very hard before acquiring anything new.  Read more about it:  http://sfgate.com/columnists/lloyd/
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Tiny Houses

Post by Tosspot »

Excessive opulence is far more fun...

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Been reading a bit too much Thoreau lately?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Too small for me. Reminds me of a backyard work shed. I would not want to live in something that would be used to store my lawnmower in.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

One of the companies that specializes in tiny houses is based in Southeast MO, around Perryville.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

wow - that would be like living full time in my cubicle (which, sadly, it often feels like I do)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Looks like a great place to live, if your climate is like SF.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

eclair wrote: I love the idea of a 97 square foot house -- I'm not sure I could handle actually living in one, but I definitey love the thought of trying.  It would force you to rid yourself of all that junk you carry around, pare back to the bare necessities, and think very hard before acquiring anything new.  Read more about it:  http://sfgate.com/columnists/lloyd/
It is like living in Queens, NYC but without all the cockroaches and crime.
Joemoney
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Joemoney »

I would expect nothing less from a SF newspaper or SF citizen than something so anti-wealth/consumption.

I'll take the 110,000 square foot house over that one any day:  http://k53.pbase.com/g4/72/200972/2/642 ... FcEYJI.jpg
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

100 square feet is not enough IMO... But anything above 3000 square feet is far too much, unless you have a large family, and even then, you either have to sacrifice your yard, or have to build up.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

I just hope he's successful in his quest to destroy the Ring of Sauron.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

HalcyonKC wrote: I just hope he's successful in his quest to destroy the Ring of Sauron.
Best ever.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

i thought my house was small at around 1000 square feet. Obviously I was wrong.

I have heard of people living in 300 square ft. apartments and I wondered how they managed, but 97 square feet is nothing.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

Joemoney wrote: I would expect nothing less from a SF newspaper or SF citizen than something so anti-wealth/consumption.
That's funny cuz I know that the tiny house movement has sprouted all over, and as said in a previous post, I think there is a company in MO or KS that specializes in them.  Also, I was really impressed at the modesty and restraint of the person living in the tiny house.  At the same time he advocated for them, he clearly stated that perhaps 4,000 square feet was a good size for someone else because he didn't know their needs.  I think the general idea is that we should strive to have only as much space and material goods as we actually need... as opposed to what we want.  I think that is an idea that Americans (in particular) need to consider more often.
jaysonv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jaysonv »

This month's issue of Dwell is about small spaces (but they're about 4 times larger than what was mentioned above!).  The articles are interesting and center on what is important to the owners and how their small space reflects their priorities.  There's also a reference in the Editor's Letter to the George Carlin bit about a house being the place where you keep your stuff while you're out getting more stuff.

One of the houses features a pack-rat couple that live in their highly-organized 400-ish sqft loft.  The second house is a completely stripped, utilitarian (yet well-decorated) tiny condo.  The third is a Japanese house that is pretty much one giant kitchen table.

I've found this particular issue of Dwell to be especially good for these articles.

Dwell: Smaller is Smarter
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i love seeing how people successfully live in small spaces.  the excess of america is disgusting.  why does a couple with no kids "need" a 3,000 square foot house?  or, hell, a 7,000 square foot house?  it's wasteful and gluttonous.

that said, i always laugh when i read about people living in studio lofts in NYC, Boston, London, etc who very high-mindedly discuss their "choice" to live in a "small space."  translation: "at $1,000 per square foot, we could only afford this 400 sq ft studio loft.  thus, we had to throw away all our belongings or put it in storage.  look how minimal we can be, though!  and aren't my eyeglasses fashionable?"
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Good way to deal with the global population explosion.

Capital will become unavailable. Food will grow scarce. Trade will be interrupted. Mobility will be constrained. And an awful lot of pissed-off people will be poised to fight over the table scraps of industrial civilization.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

chrizow wrote: i love seeing how people successfully live in small spaces.  the excess of america is disgusting.  why does a couple with no kids "need" a 3,000 square foot house?  or, hell, a 7,000 square foot house?  it's wasteful and gluttonous.

that said, i always laugh when i read about people living in studio lofts in NYC, Boston, London, etc who very high-mindedly discuss their "choice" to live in a "small space."  translation: "at $1,000 per square foot, we could only afford this 400 sq ft studio loft.  thus, we had to throw away all our belongings or put it in storage.  look how minimal we can be, though!  and aren't my eyeglasses fashionable?"
It is funny because it's true, on both sides of the state line.
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Theiler »

That's one HELL of a dorm room...
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

chrizow wrote: why does a couple with no kids "need" a 3,000 square foot house?
One possible reason is because they can either spend the money on a house (or two) or let it go to Uncle Sam. At least with the house, you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. With taxes, you can't.