True/False Film Festival

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

True/False Film Festival

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.truefalse.org/

the true/false film festival is a documentary film festival happening this weekend in columbia, missouri. this is the fourth year and the fest is growing rapidly. all the indie film kids will be there showing their stuff, often before it's had a chance to screen at larger festivals (sxsw, sundance, tribeca, etc.). if you're bored this weekend and need quick getaway, check it out!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: True/False Film Festival

Post by KC0KEK »

I've been thinking about checking it out. I'll be there Friday anyway to close on a house I'm buying.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

T/F is really, really great.  it's actually a pretty major event, well-done.  they often bring in the filmmakers to give talks at the screening of their film. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

very good turnout this year. we saw three films: one was boring (the monastery), two were excellent (third week in october and kurt cobain: about a son, directed by a friend of mine who went to MU).

i hadn't noticed that they have started calling DT columbia "the district". MODESA money, perhaps? they are currently renovating the missouri theater; it will be quite striking when complete.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

do anything else fun in columbia?  it's a great town...i got tired of it after 7 straight years, but now i miss it.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

True False was great, despite the frigid temperatures.  Columbia is looking great.  Most if not all of the ugly concrete awnings are down (yippee!) and broadway looks so much better.  I enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Ernies, as well as Mizzou basketball game in Booches, now smoke-free.  8) Also went to the new-to-me tea room called Coyotea.  I thought it was a sweet place with good food.  Several new vintage shops downtown, if you are into that sort of thing.  CoMo is a fantastic place to spend a weekend.  T/F is a growing fest with international reputation.  We are lucky to have it so close to KC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: do anything else fun in columbia?  it's a great town...i got tired of it after 7 straight years, but now i miss it.
we went to the ice chalet! always a treat. my b/f got a 1911 map of kansas city MO and KS that is amazing. we had dinner at addison's, coffee at lakota, and lunch at shakespeare's. i will echo eclair's comments that CoMo is looking tons better, but they still have to address the hotel issue... that regency park place is an overbooked dump and it's the only place walkable to downtown! i would like to note that every single stop light in downtown columbia automatically provides pedestrians a walk signal (not button-pressing required!).

on a side note, we experimented with getting there: we took amtrak to jeff city (3 hrs) and rented a car for the 30-mile drive north to columbia. i wanted an excuse to fiddle around in jeff city without committing to an overnight stay.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

Sounds like you had a really fun weekend.  I've not been to Columbia in years, so excuse me for not knowing where the Regent Park is.  There used to be a Holiday Inn downtown.  Did Regent Park take over it's location, or...? 
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

DaveKCMO wrote: we went to the ice chalet!
Small world. We were next door at Gibson Girls having lunch Saturday.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

alpha_glamourina wrote: Sounds like you had a really fun weekend.  I've not been to Columbia in years, so excuse me for not knowing where the Regent Park is.  There used to be a Holiday Inn downtown.  Did Regent Park take over it's location, or...? 
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... souri.html

ranks #24 of 31 hotels in columbia, lower than the super 8!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

unfortunately, almost all hotels in columbia are located near I-70 or MO-63 - several miles from downtown. 

i'd stay at the Regency (if i had to stay anywhere) for proximity alone, even if it does suck.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

There are a few closer to downtown than I-70, such as the one on Providence about a half-mile south of Reactor Field. In a year or so, the Campus Inn, which is being torn down right now, will be replaced with a Campus Inn.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

true. i forgot about Stony Creek Inn, despite living a 1/4 mile from it for years. 

i never even considered Campus Inn a legit option.  i thought it was just a place for Greek types to destroy after formals.  :lol:
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

chrizow wrote: i never even considered Campus Inn a legit option.  i thought it was just a place for Greek types to destroy after formals.   :lol:
About 10 years ago, some guy advertised in the Maneater for scholarships for women in exchange for participating in a scientific research study. The first step in the study was submitting to a pelvic exam at a room at the Campus Inn. You'd be surprised how many fell for it before he was arrested.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC0KEK wrote: About 10 years ago, some guy advertised in the Maneater for scholarships for women in exchange for participating in a scientific research study. The first step in the study was submitting to a pelvic exam at a room at the Campus Inn. You'd be surprised how many fell for it before he was arrested.
I'M A SCIENTIST!  I SWEAR!  AND THEY LIKED IT!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

14K turn-out for this year's festival: www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Mar/20070305News005.asp
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

"Searching for Truth at the Best Film Festival in the Midwest"

http://riverfronttimes.com/2007-03-07/f ... a-stories/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

giving another shout-out to this event, this year on feb. 25-28. it's become a big draw in the doc world.

http://truefalse.org/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote: giving another shout-out to this event, this year on feb. 25-28. it's become a big draw in the doc world.

http://truefalse.org/
True.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this year's fest is march 3-6. passes on sale now. most "festival-like" atmosphere of any in the region! oscar-nominated "gasland" showed last year, so this is definitely becoming a place to see docs before they hit it big.