What can we do for Green. . .

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: What can we do for Green. . .

Post by grovester »

I guess my thought is to set a floor, with everyone(airlines, business, etc.) charging a fuel surcharge despite falling prices, no need to let gas fall below a certain level.  I know it's not free market, but I think with petroleums unusual characteristics (non-renewable, global warming, etc.), this isn't a bad thing.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- For more than a decade, the Kansas City Wastewater Department has been creating methane gas from waste and using it to make power.

They call it energy recovery.

For most of Kansas City, sewage goes to the Blue River treatment plant near Interstate 435 and Front Street.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/18542423/detail.html#-
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

contact senator claire mccaskill ASAP and let her know she cannot cave to missouri's anti-science climate change deniers.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote: contact senator claire mccaskill ASAP and let her know she cannot cave to missouri's anti-science climate change deniers.
What specifically, are you referring to?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMax wrote: What specifically, are you referring to?
it's been widely reported that claire is "opposed" to the climate change bill (ACES) that just passed in the House. of course, she's working with centrists on the Senate version, so it's not like she is a denier... just expect more watering down to appease KCP+L, wingnuts, etc. the point is that if you water it down too much, there's nothing left to show to the rest of the world (we need to set an example since we're the top polluter).
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I'm all for the environment, and perhaps legislative action encouraging action, but the current economy is not the best petrie dish for this experiment.  Undoubtedly, costs will rise across the board, thus discouraging any perceived benefits the stimulus may induce.  The earth is millions of years old and waiting another 2 years for this isn't gonna kill it.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

I don't know if this is something that's already implemented in KC, but I thought it was interesting anyway. (This is near Springfield, MO.)

http://www.cityutilities.net/renewable/noblehill.htm
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Slappy the Wang wrote: I'm all for the environment, and perhaps legislative action encouraging action, but the current economy is not the best petrie dish for this experiment.  Undoubtedly, costs will rise across the board, thus discouraging any perceived benefits the stimulus may induce.  The earth is millions of years old and waiting another 2 years for this isn't gonna kill it.
cap and trade would not take effect until 2012.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 09/-1/NEWS
    By Kira Rubenthaler
Ashland Daily Tidings
August 03, 2009

David Fisse of Northwest Design is all about building green, and this summer he has won the awards to prove it.

Fisse received national recognition from the American Institute of Building Design at the American Residential Design Awards, presented July 11 in Portland. He won first place in the sustainable category for a house he built on Timberlake Drive in Ashland, and he took home another first place in the "Unbuilt design 2,500 square feet and under" category for a model he designed for a future eco-housing development in Medford.
cont.....
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Slappy the Wang wrote: I'm all for the environment, and perhaps legislative action encouraging action, but the current economy is not the best petrie dish for this experiment.  Undoubtedly, costs will rise across the board, thus discouraging any perceived benefits the stimulus may induce.  The earth is millions of years old and waiting another 2 years for this isn't gonna kill it.
The Earth will undoubtedly still be here. The question is whether we will still want to live on it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mudjack wrote: The Earth will undoubtedly still be here. The question is whether we will still want to live on it.
...or whether we will kill each other off for the remaining hospitable spots.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /908270325
  August 27, 2009
By john darling
for the Mail Tribune

Ashland's Standing Stone Brewing Co., already well-known for its commitment to environmental issues, has gone a step further and bought new bicycles for all employees who promise to ride them to work at least 45 days a year.

Bubbling with excitement, 17 workers Wednesday flocked to Ashland Bicycle Works and picked up their custom-fitted, 24-speed Kona bikes, emblazoned with the Stone's head badge, hops vines and the words "Standing Stone Commuter."

The group rode the blue bikes to work in a "bike parade," uniformly extolling Stone co-owners Alex and Danielle Amarotico, who invested more than $7,600 in the bikes for employees who have more than 1,000 hours on the job ? and they will buy bikes next spring for another round of workers.

"It's very exciting. It's awesome to work for a company that's so interested in sustainability," said waitress Katie Nowacki. "I'm going to use it every day to get to work and college. Everyone should bike. It's kind of unnecessary to have a car unless you leave town."

The bikes will reduce the restaurant's carbon footprint by getting workers out of cars; enhance workers' health and fitness; and free up parking spaces for tourist-oriented Ashland.
cont....
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Not real surprising (given the ideological tilt of its members) that that RAG has been so quiet about the climate change scandal.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation/s ... 07694.html
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote: Not real surprising (given the ideological tilt of its members) that that RAG has been so quiet about the climate change scandal.

I Read Through 160,000,000 Bytes of Hacked Files And All I Got Was This Lousy E-Mail
Actually, what you have is a scientist, Dr. Jones, talking candidly about sexing up a graph to make his conclusions more persuasive. This is not a good thing thing to do -- I'd go so far as to call it unethical -- and Jones deserves some of the loss of face that he will suffer. Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that happens all the time in both academia and the private sector -- have you ever looked at the graphs in the annual report of a company which had a bad year? And it seems to happen all too often on both sides of the global warming debate (I'd include some of the graphics from An Inconvenient Truth in this category, FWIW.)

But let's be clear: Jones is talking to his colleagues about making a prettier picture out of his data, and not about manipulating the data itself. Again, I'm not trying to excuse what he did -- we make a lot of charts here and 538 and make every effort to ensure that they fairly and accurately reflect the underlying data (in addition to being aesthetically appealing.) I wish everybody would abide by that standard.

Still: I don't know how you get from some scientist having sexed up a graph in East Anglia ten years ago to The Final Nail In The Coffin of Anthropogenic Global Warming. Anyone who comes to that connection has more screws loose than the Space Shuttle Challenger. And yet that's literally what some of these bloggers are saying!
My thoughts exactly.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Not real surprising (given the ideological tilt of its members) that that RAG has been so quiet about the climate change scandal.

"Climategate"   :(  Perhaps we should start threads on the trilatteral commission and how alliens built the pyramids, as well as this wingnut conspiracy fantasy?
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Wow. real surprising response there guys. &&

Only 2 posts until wingnut..wonder how many until NEOCON??

Suppressing the opposition...guess the Chicago way is moving beyond Chicago (and Washington).
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Suppressing the opposition...
Hey no Pinko Dem here.  Just a proud Libertarian disgusted with wingnuts.  

Do you honestly believe that this "scandal" is good solid evidence that climate change is all a big lie and conspiracy?  . . . or do you just think it is a good opportunity to score popularity points in the pathetic, intellectually bankrupt drivel that passes as political dialogue between the GOP and DNC these days?
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:  

Do you honestly ... a good opportunity to score popularity points in the pathetic, intellectually bankrupt drivel that passes as political dialogue between the GOP and DNC these days?
I understand your sentiment, but the execution is hypocritical. A libertarian calls democrats pinkos and conservatives wing nuts and implies (being a libertarian) it is above the normal political drivel?????
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nothing intellectually dishonest about name calling. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm happy you're proud of this. the science is unchanged. there is no downside to reducing emissions. moving on...