Apple's new hardware

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Apple's new hardware

Post by KC0KEK »

bbqboy wrote: does the iphone draw/drain the system more, or does everyone want to look at youtube when they get one?
With both iPhone and Android, the problem isn't just the amount of bandwidth consumed, but also -- and often more so -- the amount of signaling traffic that smartphones generate. Take instant messaging: IM is low-bandwidth, so it shouldn't clog up the network, right? Wrong. One Android IM app was written to be so "chatty" that it generated enough signaling traffic that it almost took down T-Mobile's network in several markets.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

bobbyhawks wrote: Just thought that I would go out of my way to admit that I was wrong.  While the iPad has limitations, including some that are really freaking annoying, I now think it is the best tablet you can currently buy.  Not only the best tablet, but the best value.  I broke down and fell under the spell of the iPad 2, getting a 32GB wifi only model.  What I initially thought was just a big version of my iPod Touch, is now a near constant companion around the house.

I still love my Android phone (Evo) and don't think I would be as happy with an iPhone.  I've heard a lot, though, about how iOS 5 could be a big leap forward as far as voice integration and concierge-like services go, so it will be interesting to see how the Android market and its OS versions keep up.  I'm hoping that Google has some tricks in store and that those upgrades will hit my Evo this summer!
I'd love to hear what you love about it. As an Evo user, I simply cannot stand my iPad. I bought one on a complete whim, motivated by the music apps (the Korg synths, Garageband, etc) and deciding that, as a social media professional, I should give it a shot. It leaves me frustrated with every use. It seems that apps are stripped down so much for ease of use and slick appearance that they are missing functionality. My favorite app of all time, Google Maps, is incredible on tablets. Check it out on the Xoom! The maps app on the iPad seems so clunky and old school by comparison.

My biggest compliant will make me sound like an Android fanboy, and that is the closed nature of the system. I don't mean the market, I mean the actual OS. For instance, the iPad 2 supports a very capable video editing solution in iMovie. Knowing this, and because I had a video to edit in my e-mail, I decided to try to use my iPad. Nope, you can't save attachments to actually do anything with them, nor send files other than through functions built into each app. A reasonable solution for simple video editing but you can only use it for video taken with the miserable built-in cameras. No sale.

Add to examples like that that you basically can't get any content onto the thing without using iTunes and it just gets frustrating. You can use Dropbox, but you can't add files to anything from it. If you want to listen to music, you can't copy it, you can only listen to it from the built-in player. Want to upload something from the iPad to your Dropbox? Too bad.

E-mail? I'm a heavy Gmail user and prefer those features. I'm using Gmail in the browser, which seems a silly way around the limitations of the built-in app.

I think content consumption is probably the most compelling aspect, but I've found that to be lacking as well. Flipboard is one of the most beautiful apps I've ever seen, and it is a joy to use. It pulls in your different streams from newsreaders and social networks and makes a magazine of the content. Problem is, if you actually keep up with those streams, you go back to the source and all of those items are still unread, so you end up digging through again anyway.

For other types of media, the added portability of the Evo wins over any advantage the tablet has. For instance, apps like Doggcatcher on Android are amazing for podcasts, such that I'd never want to deal with syncing again.

Perhaps I have unrealistic expectations about what tablets are supposed to be, but for $700 and this much power, I expect something that is useful for productive purposes. The device is beautiful, yes, and sitting around reading or watching Netflix on it is a joy, but it isn't worth it for that.

All of that said, anyone want to buy a barely used iPad2 32GB wifi only? :)
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I quite possibly would want to buy it...what's your price?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Staubio, as the owner of both an EVO and the first-gen iPad, I really enjoyed your post. I agree that the iPad is better for consuming content than creating it. The iPad's e-mail client is lousy: one signature for all accounts, difficulty accepting/rejecting calendar invitations, a search function that doesn't search, the list goes on.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It cost you an extra $100 bucks?  I haven't played with enough Android tablets to give a fair comparison, but every review I read says that they are still pretty rough around the edges.  There are a ton of things that frustrate me with the iPad, but there are also a ton of things that annoy me with Android.  The solution to many of those problems on Android is to root the device.  The solution to most of my gripes on the iPad is to jailbreak it.  I have yet to do either, but I think for now the devices do just what I need them to. 

The graphics and video quality of the iPad are great in my opinion.  Obviously, Google apps such as maps are going to give first priority to the Android system.  I haven't played with iMovie, so I can't speak to that, but Garageband is the most fun "mobile" app I have ever played with.  Games and media consumption, including things like Flipbook and its copycats, are terrific.  Sound is a great improvement over the iPad 1.  I think part of the problem for Android users is getting over the fact that the OS is just different.  Lack of the "back" button, full swype integration, voice commands integration, how Apple oversimplifies things, etc., are all annoying.  I have installed most of my media to my home server, along with putting external hard drives on a Pogoplug.  With the web interface for Pogoplug and the Plex app, I am able to access my content from anywhere. 

I will certainly be in search of a better solution for file management, but for now, that is what my Evo is for.  There are a number of apps I am still eager to try for this (like AirSharing and Documents To Go).  I have actually had the Evo for 8 months and never plugged it into a computer.  I love that.  For now at least, my opinion is that the apps developed specifically for tablet are superior on the iPad.  That will even out, but for now a lot of people with Android tablets are standing around waiting for things like Netflix, ESPN3, and the TimeWarner/Cablevision apps.  If I am going to have a cutting edge device, I want the best apps now, not a year from now, considering it could be dated in another year.  I always have the Evo nearby for the basics.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

bobbyhawks wrote: It cost you an extra $100 bucks?  I haven't played with enough Android tablets to give a fair comparison, but every review I read says that they are still pretty rough around the edges.  There are a ton of things that frustrate me with the iPad, but there are also a ton of things that annoy me with Android.  The solution to many of those problems on Android is to root the device.  The solution to most of my gripes on the iPad is to jailbreak it.  I have yet to do either, but I think for now the devices do just what I need them to. 

The graphics and video quality of the iPad are great in my opinion.  Obviously, Google apps such as maps are going to give first priority to the Android system.  I haven't played with iMovie, so I can't speak to that, but Garageband is the most fun "mobile" app I have ever played with.  Games and media consumption, including things like Flipbook and its copycats, are terrific.  Sound is a great improvement over the iPad 1.  I think part of the problem for Android users is getting over the fact that the OS is just different.  Lack of the "back" button, full swype integration, voice commands integration, how Apple oversimplifies things, etc., are all annoying.  I have installed most of my media to my home server, along with putting external hard drives on a Pogoplug.  With the web interface for Pogoplug and the Plex app, I am able to access my content from anywhere. 

I will certainly be in search of a better solution for file management, but for now, that is what my Evo is for.  There are a number of apps I am still eager to try for this (like AirSharing and Documents To Go).  I have actually had the Evo for 8 months and never plugged it into a computer.  I love that.  For now at least, my opinion is that the apps developed specifically for tablet are superior on the iPad.  That will even out, but for now a lot of people with Android tablets are standing around waiting for things like Netflix, ESPN3, and the TimeWarner/Cablevision apps.  If I am going to have a cutting edge device, I want the best apps now, not a year from now, considering it could be dated in another year.  I always have the Evo nearby for the basics.
I understand that. I guess that if I'm consuming content on the go, it is usually audio, and I can more easily do that with the Evo. If I want to watch something, I'll usually opt for a television. :)

It is funny that "file management" is something reserved for your phone, not your "tablet computer" -- that seems backward to me. I guess that they work out to be pretty similarly priced in the end, and I could certainly complete an entire long flight without having to charge the iPad. That is about all that wins for me.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

bobbyhawks wrote:I haven't played with enough Android tablets to give a fair comparison, but every review I read says that they are still pretty rough around the edges.
that is 100% accurate based on my first-hand experience. even our android developer is impressed by the ipad.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

staubio wrote: I understand that. I guess that if I'm consuming content on the go, it is usually audio, and I can more easily do that with the Evo. If I want to watch something, I'll usually opt for a television. :)

It is funny that "file management" is something reserved for your phone, not your "tablet computer" -- that seems backward to me. I guess that they work out to be pretty similarly priced in the end, and I could certainly complete an entire long flight without having to charge the iPad. That is about all that wins for me.
I think most people are still trying to figure out the time, place, and best activities for a tablet since it is a new factor.  In my opinion, if I want a portable wifi only device for music, I will use my iPod touch.  My phone is also good for that, but I would rather have a dedicated device to music playing that does not ring in the middle of a party (or skip like my Evo does occasionally).  The iPad is terrific for that when in my house and playing through iTunes and AirPlay/AirTunes/AirFoil (due to Remote, Home Sharing, and the bigger screen, though the iPod does the same thing).

There are many ways an iPad can aid productivity, but that is not its main purpose.  If you need to manage files and type and look at email on the go, a laptop still works fine in conjunction with a phone.  The tablet should be something more... not all of the above.  I am convinced that Android will compete with Apple in the near future, but for now, I don't think they have a slick enough package.  Froyo offers enough now in functionality that it ovewhelms the design and ease of use of the iPhone in my opinion.  I have yet to see an Android tablet that has been able to impress in nearly the same way.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I think I have my own reservations about all of these new form factors creating new segments. It is a marketers dream, of course, to carve out a market for a device we didn't know we needed a couple of years ago, but it makes you wonder how gullible we are as consumers. There is no way I get the added utility out of an iPad that justifies its price. I've got a laptop, I've got a (more capable, in my opinion) smartphone with a 4.3" screen and I've got a TV/Playstation. This thing fills a need that was never there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

staubio wrote: This thing fills a need that was never there.
portable gaming.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Most iOS stuff is available on Android at this point, isn't it? And my primary gaming-on-phone time is when I'm in the john anyway. I don't really consider it a serious gaming platform.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

DaveKCMO wrote: portable gaming.
Yes, the Angry Birds are easier to control on the iPad, but the game is the same. A compelling sales pitch. :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I want to want one....but I have no need for one, especially at the current price point.  I'm usually one for any type of gadget but I can't reconcile a tablet....yet.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

mean wrote: Most iOS stuff is available on Android at this point, isn't it? And my primary gaming-on-phone time is when I'm in the john anyway. I don't really consider it a serious gaming platform.
Many tablet versions of iOS and Android phone apps are completely different on the iPad (and I'm assuming tablet versions of Android apps).  The iPad version is optimized for the bigger screen, and there are a lot of things that have been developed over the last year for the iPad that have yet to come to Android.  Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" app is pretty fantastic and not available on Android.  Since the iPad has had a large lead time in tablet saturation, games like World of Goo come to iOS first.  There are a number of drawing apps, but Adobe just announced some interesting integration with Photoshop and other Adobe PC and Mac applications.

So, while it is probably true to say that most of the big name apps are available on both platforms, all of the best are not (some not on iOS), and the best for tablet are mostly on the iPad.  If I am interested in developing an app, I wouldn't start out designing one that exploits the amazingly capable xoom when there are already millions of iPads out there.  I would work on the iPad first, then figure out if it is better to release an app that is usable on lesser Android tablets as well.  In my opinion, Android is still a year off from competing against the visually engaging and quality content apps that the iPad has.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Anyone tried the Nook Color hack yet? Results? Thinking about getting one for my son.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Anyone tried the Nook Color hack yet? Results? Thinking about getting one for my son.
i know someone who's tried it (slow hardware), but what's the point?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

DaveKCMO wrote: i know someone who's tried it (slow hardware), but what's the point?
I think the point is getting a full Android tablet for cheap. But yes, I'm guessing the experience would be heavily compromised by the fact that the hardware isn't designed to support that.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

portable gaming.

you want real "portable gaming", get an alienware m11x or a PSP. 

I just do not "get" the iPad, though I love playing around with them, it's a gorgeous piece of hardware. 

I would save my pennies and buy an 11" Macbook Air, which is the same size and weight and yet 100x better and more functional in every conceivable way.  For 2x the price, you're getting a machine that is arguably just as pretty, just as portable, and infinitely more capable.  It wil also be relatively fast and usable for years (compared to tablet).  To me, the new Macbook Air made the iPad obsolete the day it came out. 
are we spinning free?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote: I would save my pennies and buy an 11" Macbook Air, which is the same size and weight and yet 100x better and more functional in every conceivable way.  For 2x the price, you're getting a machine that is arguably just as pretty, just as portable, and infinitely more capable.  It wil also be relatively fast and usable for years (compared to tablet).  To me, the new Macbook Air made the iPad obsolete the day it came out. 
I can't argue against the Macbook Air being more functional, but there are many important differences between it and the iPad.  The touch interface for web browsing and gaming is a much more immersive experience than point and click browsing in my opinion.  The simplicity of the iPad and other tablets, while frustrating occasionally, cannot be matched with a Windows or OS X environment.

While the Macbook Air is beautiful and allows one to do many things, I don't see why it should be necessarily be singled out over a standard Macbook which would offer better functionality and power than the Air, or above a netbook which can accomplish much of the same feats of functionality and portability for a fraction of the cost.  All have their benefits.  The point of the iPad and any tablet for that matter is that it isn't a folding, keyboard attached, heat emitting device; it isn't a small screened device designed mostly for communication.  It is something in between.  If you want a device that does everything and is the best at doing it, and you will be sitting down, you are probably best off lugging a laptop around.  Phones can accomplish most portable tasks just fine, so if screen size is not improtant to you, there are a ton of options.  The tablet is something entirely different.  Part book reader, part Internet portal, part entertainment device, part media center, part creativity inducer, etc.  The tablet hasn't completely carved its niche, but it will be a major factor in the future.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm not sure I agree. I think the "tablet only" concept is a trend that may find itself a permanent niche in certain business applications, but will ultimately falter in favor of tablet-like devices with touchscreens, and far less restrictive operating systems. The Atrix 4G is a step in that direction, but I don't think that concept will be fully realized / tweaked for mass consumption for years.

The end result, though, will be a device that you can sit down at a desk with and create your content, snap it up out if its dock and use as a tablet / phone / consumption device, and carry that content with you everywhere. There's really no good reason these functions are being forcefully separated. It's all about money.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin