Apple's new hardware

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Apple's new hardware

Post by Cyclops »

Check out the new iPhone - This thing looks very cool!  $499- $599. Shipping in June. Sounds expensive but does quite a bit.

iPod, Video, Phone, Google maps, internet, email, touchscreen.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Sometime later today they will have Steve Jobs's keynote posted, always fun to watch.... if you're an Apple geek.

Also introduced AppleTV.
Last edited by Cyclops on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the only thing for sure is change.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Apple's new hardware

Post by im2kull »

I dont support apple..

But they support me  8) Thanks for the nice 7 point stock jump  :lol:
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

and I just got a new razr phone from Verizon in june, so my contract is not up until jun '08. Dammit!! I'll be switching to Cingular the day my contract is up with Verizon, unless they somehow are able to get the iphone. The functionality looks great, and the UI is a big leap forward.  wow
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I am unimpressed by convergence attempts. Combining a phone with any other piece of electronics seems half-assed to me, and even if they manage to do a good job, as I suppose they probably did with the iphone, it's still a media device that sucks battery life from the phone. Apparently, this phone will "avoid" this problem by having two batteries(one for the phone, and one for lolz), which seems like a really inelegant solution to me.  Why not use a more powerful battery?

I yawn at the iphone.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

five hours of talk/video time, and 14 hours of audio seems to be a fairly respectable number.  And remember, the criticisms of the iphone are almost exactly the same ones leveled at the first ipod. If anyone can pull off a device like this, its apple.  It sure makes every other phone and blackberry type device look primitive by comparison.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

tat2kc wrote: And remember, the criticisms of the iphone are almost exactly the same ones leveled at the first ipod.
Well, since I don't seem to have any of the same criticisms, what are you referring to?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

It's because of crap like the iPhone that I haven't even gotten an iPod yet. There's so much new stuff coming out that everyone feels they gotta keep up with the Joneses. I'm waiting for prices to fall even more for the iPods before buying one. I'm not sure I even see the usefulness of an iPhone (for its price). Who needs all those gadgets on a phone, honestly??? I sure don't want people driving around with iPhones trying to use Google maps while they're behind the wheel.  :?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The criticisms of the ipod were that it was too expensive, did not have long enough battery life, no removable battery, locked into apple only, not enough music, there were other players that were better, etc.  Was predicted to be a big flop.  The first ipod was 500 bucks, for a 5 gig ipod, the only model.

I think if nothing else, the UI is such a departure from the typical cell phone, and the inclusion of a full featured web browser is going to change things. The visual voice mail is also very innovative.  You can visually see each voicemail, and listen to them in your order, not go through them one by one as is the case now. The fact that you can download your video clips and photos and such is a great idea. With 5 hours of video playback, you can buy a movie on itunes, download it, and watch it during a flight. Very nice. 

the multifinger user interface is great. Very innovative. I didn't hear anything about 2 batteries except in the gossip sites prior to the keynote.  I did not hear the two battery thing from Jobs, so I don't know about that.

The entry level ipod is $75.00, kcmetro. How much lower would the price need to be for you to feel comfortable in buying one?  And anyone who tries to use google maps on the phone while driving should have their license revoked! But thats not much different than a woman applying makeup during rush hour, or some fool texting as they head down the road.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

tat2kc wrote: The criticisms of the ipod were that it was too expensive, did not have long enough battery life, no removable battery, locked into apple only, not enough music, there were other players that were better, etc.  Was predicted to be a big flop.
Those are certainly the major criticisms I have of the ipod. Throw in the lack of vorbis support at the crippling DRM, and you have a product that I will never buy, ever. I don't know why anyone ever said they thought it'd flop though. Americans have very little problem with giving away their freedoms.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

tat2kc wrote:The entry level ipod is $75.00, kcmetro. How much lower would the price need to be for you to feel comfortable in buying one?

The 30GB one is $250 or $300, right??? I couldn't exactly remember how much it was, but I would like to see it fall to about $150. Not that that's going to happen anytime soon though.  :) Realistically though, I'll probably get one by this summer to have when I jog or lift weights.

Fixed your comment so I could quote it -b
Last edited by bahua on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

kcmetro wrote:
The 30GB one is $250 or $300, right??? I couldn't exactly remember how much it was, but I would like to see it fall to about $150. Not that that's going to happen anytime soon though.
That won't happen until it's unsupported obsolete hardware(3 or 4 years), or unless you can buy one used.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

bahua wrote: That won't happen until it's unsupported obsolete hardware(3 or 4 years), or unless you can buy one used.
Obsolete hardware in 3 or 4 years? That's not very comforting.  :lol: Are there plans for even better iPods soon? Or will they mainly focus on products like the iPhone that incorporates the iPod into a multi-tasking product? The sky seems to be the limit with technology, so it's hard to judge when to buy something or to wait until an even better device hits the market.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i find it difficult to imagine a better product for non-computer-geeks than the Ipod, esp. the Nano and Shuffle.  for $79 you get a 1-gig mp3 player the size of a matchbook that clips to your pants.  it's perfect for running. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chrizow wrote: i find it difficult to imagine a better product for non-computer-geeks than the Ipod, esp. the Nano and Shuffle.  for $79 you get a 1-gig mp3 player the size of a matchbook that clips to your pants.  it's perfect for running. 
That's what I was going to ask about. Can you hook the nano up to your car stereo? And roughly how many songs does a nano hold?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

kcmetro wrote: Obsolete hardware in 3 or 4 years? That's not very comforting.
Well, it's already pretty old. The 60GB model came out about two years ago. The 30 or 40 GB models must be older, or rely on technology that is at least as old.
Are there plans for even better iPods soon? Or will they mainly focus on products like the iPhone that incorporates the iPod into a multi-tasking product? The sky seems to be the limit with technology, so it's hard to judge when to buy something or to wait until an even better device hits the market.
To stay competitive, any company in the technology sector *must* keep innovating and coming out with new, shinier products. Whether the iphone is the beginning of a move toward the convergence of services(phone, mp3, mpeg, home invasion, etc), or whether it's just a new product being released with fingers crossed, I can't authoritatively say. My guess would be closer to the latter, judging by its pricetag.

Don't let the fact that technology is changing keep you from investing in it. If you can't afford an ipod, shop around. You might even find something you'd like.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

kcmetro wrote: That's what I was going to ask about. Can you hook the nano up to your car stereo? And roughly how many songs does a nano hold?
1GB is roughly a thousand megabytes. One four minute mp3 is roughly five megabytes. Now run calculator.
Joe KC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Joe KC »

kcmetro, you can buy a "refurbished" (read: used) Ipod from Apple.  4 GB Nanos are $149, 30 GB Video Ipods for $179, and 60 GB for $229.  They don't have the new-school shuffles, but the old-school ones are $59.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... =Certified
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the nano might be the best option for me right now.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

if youre going to work out with it, i recommend the Shuffle.  it's so small and light and easy. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

kcmetro wrote: Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the nano might be the best option for me right now.
You don't have to get an Apple product...others are usually cheaper.  I got a 512mb player off woot for $12 (+ $5 shipping) that's great for a run / workout.

Although they're not as easy to use at Apple stuff.  And they don't cooperate with iTunes.  They usually show up at a disk drive and you pull songs on to it from your other drive.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator