GingerBread Lane 2006-2007

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: GingerBread Lane 2006-2007

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: Damn chef, have you lost weight?

That has to be the best part of the whole project, giving them away...
and then some, on the weight loss.

the give away is sad yet happy.........the culmination of 7 months plus of work, and the beginings of the next year, so you are sad to let it go yet happy to say yeah, time to start anew.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Sweet!! That looked pretty amazing..sorry I couldn't help with making a poster or something, but this year I'll find some time and help out if I'm guarentee'd a house, lol.  I would so love to take home something like that clock tower, imagine what airport security would say to that  :x  Maybe you can make me some gingerbread daggers  :lol:
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Looks like you got some stiff competition, chef. You should drive down to Baltimore and challenge him to a gingerbread village competition for the 2008 Christmas season.

http://wjz.com/local/gingerbread.house. ... 14446.html
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

kcmetro wrote: Looks like you got some stiff competition, chef. You should drive down to Baltimore and challenge him to a gingerbread village competition for the 2008 Christmas season.

http://wjz.com/local/gingerbread.house. ... 14446.html
my village is 4 times the size of that, and weighs in at 400 pounds of dough. 8,000? that guy is full of shit. i saw it on yahoo the other night.

but it does look nice.

see how much bigger GingerBread Lane is? yeah, sure, his is 8k pounds. umm, yeah.
Last edited by kcdcchef on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Making a new gingerbread village this year, Chef?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

kcmetro wrote: Making a new gingerbread village this year, Chef?
I will second that thought.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

kcmetro wrote: Making a new gingerbread village this year, Chef?
im2kull wrote: I will second that thought.
it opened last week, friday the 14th of november. on display through new years day. my photographer is showing up to do a photo shoot on sunday morning. i will post pictures next week if you guys want me too.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Of course!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

tick tock....tick tock...............Your week is up.

Just kiddin chef, I'm sure we'll eventually get some great pictures of the newest gingerbread lane  :)
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

im2kull wrote: tick tock....tick tock...............Your week is up.

Just kiddin chef, I'm sure we'll eventually get some great pictures of the newest gingerbread lane  :)
will post TONITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcdcchef wrote: will post TONITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well....?

In your celebration of MU having a better basketball record than KU, did you forget about us?
KC is the way to be!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: GingerBread Lane 2008-2009

Post by kcdcchef »

Okay, Okay. Here they are, 2008-2009 Photography, courtesy of my amazing photographer, Roy. He has his own photography studio, shoots lots of corporate gigs, was doing Westin Hotel Time's Square brochure this last week. GingerBread Lane is a not for profit business, that survives like all not for profits based off of the kindness, donations, and generosity of others. My company makes it from one year to the next based off of people donating money, time, and their talents. I have a printing press in Pittsburgh that does our brochures each season and only charges me setup fees. I basically pay $125 to have 5,000 full color brochures printed out each year. The photographer, him and his amazingly talented wife shoot the village, design the brochure based off of my ideas, design, and vision, along with the main marquis sign in front of the village. They do the brochure layout, sign layout, end of season give away sign layout, shoot the photography of the village, all for a few hundred bucks. Others help move it, break it down, wife tolerates it, ( hehe ) companies donate supplies and candies, it is a true year round effort to secure the provisions, time, and moneys.

This years village was to take on a more urban feel. Wanted the storefronts to resemble old brownstones, along with the hotel, rail depot, and even the mill. Made for more interesting stand alone buildings in the village in 2008.

All brochures and signage were made this season to reflect the Fifteenth Anniversary Season, because I began The Lane in 1994, at The Hyatt Regency Crown Center. A lot of those who actually come out to see this thing got confused, since this was the 19th village. Some years, there were 2 villages. So that is that. Hope everyone enjoys!!

Main Candy Marquis in Front of GingerBread Lane.

This one took one whole week, or 41 hours, to complete. What a job.

Since I know everyone on the forum loves density, and then some.

Out near where my parents live in Eastern Jacko, there is a real quaint Christmas Tree Farm called Santa's Christmas Tree Farm. I decided to make that an annual part of the Lane.

The Cinnamon and Nutmeg Railroad.

This Years Main Cinnamon and Nutmeg Railroad Terminal Station.

This girl was sooooooo cute. I wanted to get a real nice close up of her interacting with GingerBread Lane. Traditionally, there is a rope up around the Lane, that I take down for the shoot. Anyways, she was having a ball until I tried to get a shot of just her getting close to The Lane. Then she got shy.

The Hot Chocolate Brewery, an annual feature.

Another candy mosaic out in front, Santa's Sleigh out of Nestle's Holiday Bells.

The Holly and Ivy Trolley Company, along with this years light house. The lighthouse I worked on for 1 week fell apart the morning of, and had to redo it. The first 4 days, it was icing covering styrofoam cups, then after it hardened, I took out the cups, and added to the top structure. Made it look like a lightouse, basically. I pride myself on having nothing fake in the actual village, all edible.

Another arial to give you an idea of size.

Jackie's Sweet Shop, for the lovely wife.

An annual part of GingerBread Lane dating back to my days as a sous chef at Skies, in Kansas City, Toffee Boulevard.

Part of Peppermint Central Park, the GingerBread Lane Town Hall, and GingerBread Lane Fire Department. The Fire Department lost a number. It should say Engine Co. No. 19, not 9.

Just another density shot.

The Cinnamon and Nutmeg Railroad Train Schedule.

Inspired by my love of The Crown Center Ice Terrace, The GingerBread Lane Ice Skating Rink.

Railroad, Part Two.

Snowman Apple Cider Company, combining my love of snowmen and the autumn.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

nice!  i think you've answered this before, but is it eatible?  Or did it have to be sprayed for vermin?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

ComandanteCero wrote: nice!  i think you've answered this before, but is it eatible?  Or did it have to be sprayed for vermin?
definitely edible. never had a problem with the vermin and rodent kind. For whatever reason, they do not touch it. Never known why, they dont bother it. and i am grateful.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

awesome, that looks frigging delicious.... i'm tempted to make a ginger bread subdivision in its honor, except it'd probably get eaten before the frosting mortar was even set.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Good show. Man, that thing is massive.

Now what you need is to bust some Duff Goldman, and put an actual rotating light in the lighthouse, and have a model train roll through the village, and set up a smoke machine and a laser light show, and... :lol:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote: Good show. Man, that thing is massive.

Now what you need is to bust some Duff Goldman, and put an actual rotating light in the lighthouse, and have a model train roll through the village, and set up a smoke machine and a laser light show, and... :lol:

i despise anything that brings the element of non edible to GingerBread Lane. Have thought over time of making the train move. the year i did it as a guest artist at union station, a train enthusiast group of theirs designed a model train that was basically 5 flat cars, the first being the engine, that i could decorate and make into a gingerbread train OVER the plastic, so it was still technically edible. damn it looked good too.

hope to make the lighthouse light up in 09, but not sure yet.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Impressive.  How many hours did that take to make?  Have an estimate?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

kcmetro wrote: Impressive.  How many hours did that take to make?  Have an estimate?
i always tell the press 600 hours, which is a conservative estimate at best. i spend about 20 hours a week on it for roughly 32 weeks.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Damn dude, that sounds more like a full time hobby than a seasonal project.