Historic Preservation in the Urban Core

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Historic Preservation in the Urban Core

Post by WSPanic » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Good luck to them. Such a great, old mansion. The owner should be drawn and quartered for letting it go to crap the last 40 years.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:06 pm

I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he wants to fix it up but just can't afford to, but no, from what I can ascertain this dude is basically a grown up rich kid who just doesn't want to sell or otherwise do anything with the property. He's been taken to court (and sentenced to jail!) for his negligence.

I found this passage from one of the court's decisions particularly eye-opening:
He learned that his appeal had not been perfected when he was arrested as a result of his parole revocation. Lopp was allowed to go free because he had no knowledge that his appeal had not been perfected and that his parole had been revoked.
How in the world is there a difference between the lawyer, acting as an agent of and on behalf of their client, fucking up the paperwork not treated exactly the same as if the person themselves fucked it up? I'm not a lawyer but I have been arrested, and, "Gee, I didn't know, I'm sorry," never got me anywhere.

WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WSPanic » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:13 pm

I took the Historic KC Endangered Homes tour a few years ago. The tour leader for that KCK neighborhood did not mince words when characterizing the owners. I don't remember specifics, but I remember having very little empathy for their situation.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:49 pm

Historic Kansas City releases most endangered list for 2018.

https://historickansascity.org/wp-conte ... l-July.pdf

This year's list is ridiculous since most items chosen were general groupings or entire neighborhoods, or categories, i.e. modern architecture; Westport; The Old Northeast; city churches; closed city schools; commercial structures; Midtown apartments and apartment hotels; 18th and Vine District; and the Country Club Plaza District.

This approach doesn't prioritize which individual buildings are in most peril, or most in need of being rescued. It doesn't tell City leaders and residents which buildings are most significant. It's much too vague, and basically useless. It's like a group of people sat around a table and couldn't decide, so they just said "all old buildings and neighborhoods" in the City are endangered.

If I were making a list for this year, it would be:

1. Mardi Gras Club in the 18th and Vine District -- wall collapse
2. Satchel Paige residence, 2626 E. 28th Street (Santa Fe Historic District) -- damaged by fire
3. Admiral & Woodland retail building--roof collapse
4. Seventh Church of Christ, Country Club Plaza--redevelopment deal threatens demolition
5. Holy Ghost New Testament Church (the historic Jamison Temple C.M.E. Church), 1815 Paseo--roof damaged
6. The Aladdin Theater, 6044 Truman Road--continued threat of deterioration, fire threat
7. Boulevard Manor Hotel/Steuben Club, 1115 E. Armour--continued threat of deterioration, fire threat
8. Knickerbocker Apartments, Broadway & Knickerbocker Place--continued threat of deterioration, fire threat
9. The Belmont Hotel, 911 Linwood --continued threat of deterioration, fire threat
10. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Building, 220-224 W. 18th St.--continued threat of deterioration, fire threat

Then on the watch list, place the general categories: neighborhood churches, schools, Country Club Plaza, etc.