Clock chimes

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
scooterj
Ambassador

Clock chimes

Post by scooterj »

Anyone who spends any amount of time within a couple blocks of 10th & Main knows that there are clock chimes that play every quarter hour.    Does anyone know where they come from?  I have searched high and low for a clock but the only clocks I have found have proven not to be the source of the chimes.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Clock chimes

Post by enough »

commerce bank, northwest corner of 10th and walnut.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

enough wrote: commerce bank, northwest corner of 10th and walnut.

I thought it might come from that block, I just can't find the actual source.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Yes that is where they are... Trust me... They used to wake me up everyday... by now I think I am immuned to them though...
On to the Next One
Nougat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Nougat »

hey, speaking of sounds around 10th and main, what the crap is that high pitch boingy sound that happens in sets of four about every 30 seconds to a minute?  It sounds like when somebody kicks a doorstop and it makes that boooing sound.  only high pitched.  The first one is high, the middle two boings are the same middle tone, then the fourth is low.  it goes BOING  Boing  Boing  boing.  and its driving me crazy.  only when i'm outside though.  please help me identify this sound, so i can smash it with a tire iron.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Nougat wrote: hey, speaking of sounds around 10th and main, what the crap is that high pitch boingy sound that happens in sets of four about every 30 seconds to a minute?  It sounds like when somebody kicks a doorstop and it makes that boooing sound.  only high pitched.  The first one is high, the middle two boings are the same middle tone, then the fourth is low.  it goes BOING  Boing  Boing  boing.  and its driving me crazy.  only when i'm outside though.  please help me identify this sound, so i can smash it with a tire iron.
If it happens on Mondays and Thursdays between 6:00 and 6:30am, 11:30 and 12:45, and 5:30 and 6:00pm, then it's my car.  :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

walk the skybridge between the bank and trust building, look to the east on the trust and the megaphone is right there...I think there is also one on the Walnut side of the building.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

See why I come here to ask where to buy batteries downtown?

You guys know where stinking chime horns are located and where to go to see them. 
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: walk the skybridge between the bank and trust building, look to the east on the trust and the megaphone is right there...I think there is also one on the Walnut side of the building.
I actually wondered if that megaphone might have something to do with it.  So it's a fake, computer-generated chime, eh?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think so
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

StL_Dan wrote: See why I come here to ask where to buy batteries downtown?

You guys know where stinking chime horns are located and where to go to see them. 
that, and to have a place to get your avatars resized!!!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

kcdcchef wrote: that, and to have a place to get your avatars resized!!!
This place is useful for a variety of things, that's for sure.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
Nougat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Nougat »

so really, does anybody know about the noise I'm talking about?  It's still going on all day every day.  It more accurately sounds like a belt on a car slipping.  But it sounds the exact same each time, no variation.  In sets of 4.  I may have to hunt it down myself, but its pretty hard to tell where its coming from.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Could it be the crossing signal?  There was talk of making those easier for blind people to use.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

On Friday at lunchtime I was on the outdoor track above Osco and I noticed that several of the flagpoles around there sway when the wind catches them, making a metallic squeaking sound that repeates/fades as the flagpoles rock back and forth.

That was the only noise I heard other than jackhammers and traffic I heard, this was Friday at lunchtime and I was outside for an hour.

The only other thing I could think of is those computer-generated bird squawks that blast theough speakers to scare off pigeons.  But I don't think I've ever heard those at 10th & Main.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

The only way to pin down the sound is to dedicate some time to track it down. You say it is about every 1/4 hour well stand in one place the first time and listen. go off and do something else. the next time move about 100 ft one way listen if it gets weeker the next time you will have to move 100ft the other way from your orriginal location. Eventualy you will be able to pin it down.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

anniewarbucks wrote: The only way to pin down the sound is to dedicate some time to track it down. You say it is about every 1/4 hour well stand in one place the first time and listen. go off and do something else. the next time move about 100 ft one way listen if it gets weeker the next time you will have to move 100ft the other way from your orriginal location. Eventualy you will be able to pin it down.
I can't explain why, but I am compelled to read every one of AnnieWarbucks posts.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Thank you Justin. By the way Scooterj, Did you find out where your sounds were coming from.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.