I'm building a house in the Northland

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ShowME wrote: Keep in mind I'd love to live in a new urbanism home in Shoal Creek but nothing's currently available and they probably won't start in the mid 130's either.
Shoal Creek Valley is about to start taking reservations in their "Village" neighborhood, which I believe is the more mixed price area that starts around 130 and goes up.

Like I said I'm not knocking you, just the city's decisions to allow building to go on in that location. If we keep allowing all of this scattered development we will be out of available land before we know it. Then we won't have anymore room to grow in the future. We need to be saving some of this vacant land for further out in time.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I pieced together a satellite image of the northland, and you can see how very scattered the new development is. Looking at various items in the picture, I can tell it was taken summer 2000.

The developments at that time stick out as bright tan patches of cleared earth, kind of cool. There's a million of them!

But this illustrates how bad the sprawl is, and two main areas stick out to me. First the triangle bordered by 152, 169 and I-29. Second bordered by Antioch Rd, 152 and I-35 (where I am from). I wish they would focus on filling these holes and many others around the northland, instead of extending further and further north along the 3 main highways, which this picture clearly shows.

It's a large image so I am posting the link instead of the image:

http://m620.homestead.com/files/northland.jpg
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I do understand where both you guy's are coming from pertaining to sprawl. It's more or less leapfrog development. BUT..Dangerboy's point about saving this land for future development is rather interesting. I never thought I'd be defending developers who have taken advantage of a city council that has no backbone but isn't the present the future development your speaking of? I mean come on I-435 was completed about 30 years ago. And I-35 has been there for years as well. So outside of MO-152 no major highway infrastructure needs to be built. Developments such as these are also helping Kansas City, MO stay competitive with other suburbs when it comes to building permits, retail dollars and new residents. Of course I'm taking this stance because it's inside the city limits of Kansas City, MO. Now when developments leapfrog into nearby communities such as Kearney, Smithville, Excelsior Springs etc. that's when I have a real problem with it.
Calling a spade a spade.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

True maybe the future is here today, but I'd still like to see all of that land used more efficiently so that it takes another 30 years to fill it up, not 10. I guess what really bugs me is that a city of 300+ square miles should be able to comfortably hold over over a million people without feeling crowded, but with our present development pattern we willl probably max out well below that number.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

ShowME, I'm with you, I'm happy to see development anywhere within the city limits. The problem is that leapfrogging forces KCMO to spread its utilities, maintenance crews, roads, etc etc further out which wastes money. I don't want you to think we're knocking your development though, I was referring to many other places across the northland. It's not that big of a deal to me, and I want you to enjoy it up here. :D
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Don't worry you're not knocking my development even if you were I could care less. I'm thinking we're only going to live there 5 years max and then I'd like to be able to afford something in Shoal Creek. Until then I gotta get rid of my credit card debt that was accumulated in college. After that I'll be chillin..
Calling a spade a spade.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

What's up guys. I'm currently working on a research paper for this class that I'm taking online through K-State. It's a infrastructure planning class. Anywho the link http://m620.homestead.com/files/northland.jpg was posted previously by KCNorthlander in this post. My paper is basically going to be about the emerging MO-152 corridor and this aerial is ideal for it. Who and how should I site this link? Also if I'm using powerpoint how do I highlight in red or orange MO-152? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

What's your email address?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Grid...just click on the email button under his message :wink:
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

How is this?

KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KC wrote:Grid...just click on the email button under his message :wink:
](*,)
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

That's slick thanks Gridlock. School address is below

creasy71@ksu.edu
Calling a spade a spade.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

ShowME wrote:What's up guys. I'm currently working on a research paper for this class that I'm taking online through K-State. It's a infrastructure planning class. Anywho the link http://m620.homestead.com/files/northland.jpg was posted previously by KCNorthlander in this post. My paper is basically going to be about the emerging MO-152 corridor and this aerial is ideal for it. Who and how should I site this link? Also if I'm using powerpoint how do I highlight in red or orange MO-152? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
ShowME, I just pasted together images from mapquest and put them on my website. I would cite them, or go to this Mapquest page to see maybe where they got it
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

The subdivision we're building in probably has at least 50 houses that are going up currently. Six additional houses are completed and have people living in them. Five of the six have Johnson County plates. Hopefully they support education like I do because they all have kids and the Liberty school district is definitely going to need to be expanded through tax increases.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

ShowME wrote:The subdivision we're building in probably has at least 50 houses that are going up currently. Six additional houses are completed and have people living in them. Five of the six have Johnson County plates. Hopefully they support education like I do because they all have kids and the Liberty school district is definitely going to need to be expanded through tax increases.
Music to my ears!
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Music to my ears as well. I was actually rather surprised. I know alot of Kansans that are moving to the Lee's Summit and Raymore areas but I didn't realize they were moving to Clay County as well.
Calling a spade a spade.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yes, lots of Jocos are moving to the Northland. The Leawood crowd is moving to Platte County, and the rest are moving to Clay County - where you can get the same house for less money than in Joco.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

I built a house in Clay Co on a half acre for $215k, it now appraises for $265k (we moved in last spring). The same home in Lenexa would have been $375-400.

My LOT (half-acre) cost me $8000, in Lenexa it would have been at least $65k.

The northland is the place to be and is growing faster than JoCo at the same point in its growth cycle. I would argue that aside from Riss Lake, Briarcliff and Tremont Manor, that most of the JoCo folks are moving to Clay Co. Check out the demographics and population stats.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Cities Ranked By Number of Single Family Building Permits
JANUARY - MAY 2003.
1 Kansas City, MO 738
2 Olathe 440
3 Overland Park 334
4 Lee's Summit 328
5 Shawnee 266
6 Raymore 189
7 Independence 166
8 Grain Valley 150
9 KCK/Wyandotte County 146
10 Leawood 124

Source: kchba.org

Looks like KCMO is starting to kick some serious ass and take names. The numbers for Clay County were amazing. An increase of 122 permits in KCMO through this period.
Calling a spade a spade.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

KCMO is starting to approach the numbers of Olathe and Overland Park combined. I knew it could happen but not this soon.
Calling a spade a spade.