I'm building a house in the Northland

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

My fiance and I decided within the past 2-3 weeks to go ahead and build a house in the Northland. We've been looking for a house up there since last fall but really hadn't found anything in our price range $120,000-$140,000 that we were dieing to submit an offer on. So we decided to just build a starter house in a subdivision called Hampton Meadows in Kansas City North off I-35 and MO-291. My first opinions of the place is that I feel like I'm almost halfway to Des Moines. It's amazing how far north KCMO's city limits go but I'm happy we're building in KCMO. Some of the pluses of the area are that our house is going to cost around $130,000 to build while most of the other houses in the subdivision are going to be in the $150,000-$180,000 range so I'm pretty happy about that. Also there's plenty of other high end subdivisions going up along the 291 corridor, especially maintainence free villas which start around the $200,000 range.

Some questions I do have about the 291 corridor west of I-35 are what are the plans for future retail or office along this stretch of highway? I know MO-152 is getting plenty of action. Is MO-291 next? I'd appreciate anyone's comments. The house will be completed in about 6 months.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Very cool.....let me know what you find out about the neighborhood...the woman and I are looking about that price range too......She's always wanted the I-29 corridor.......I want to live in Brookside but she wants a newer house.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Yea I'll let you know. What's really crazy is they're already planning a 2nd phase to the subdivision directly north of where we're building. Our block which is 115th NE Lewis is Liberty schools. You go 2 more blocks north and it's Kearney schools. Anyways I'll let you know I got a feeling we're going to be moving right into the heart of boomtown USA.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know some people I work with who live up there....let me know what you want to know about your new neighborhood.

ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I mainly want to know if there are any plans in the works to build a grocery store and any other retail along MO-291 between I-35 and I-435. There's probably 5-6 new subdivisions currently being built along that corridor and like they say retail always follows rooftops.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Unfortunately if there's anywhere in the northland I am not familiar with, that's the area.

I have not heard of any stores or anything going up in that area, but I'm sure with all the development going on, something will pop up soon. It took a couple of years to get a sunfresh and strip mall built along N. Oak north of 152 after the development there skyrocketed. I think 291 is a little too far north for any significant development retail-wise, since the current focus is on filling in 152.

This is all just my opinion though, since I haven't heard anything official about the 291 corridor.

If I were you, I would avoid the 152/I-35 intersection until that bridge is completed. Even then, traffic there is usually an absolute nightmare, particularly driving west out of Liberty. It has taken me over 30 min to go a few miles there. When I worked at Office Depot there, I always took 152 west to I-435 for any north/south travelling I needed to do.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I've been looking at some of the new projects going up in that area especially the Shoal Creek Valley development. Incomes and residents in that area are just gonna skyrocket over the next few years. Shoal Creek Pkwy and the project itself is basically going to run from I-435 to I-35 from west to east and south of MO-152 following Flintrock rd. all the way to MO-291. If that's the case then MO-152 will be built out before you know it and the next area for growth will be MO-291. And yes I've learned to avoid I-35 & 152 at all costs.
Calling a spade a spade.
Mizzou05
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Mizzou05 »

i saw in the paper a few months back that Liberty has set up a TIF district in the "Liberty Triangle"(area between MO-291,MO-152,and I-35) They have already agreed to put in a Lowe's hardware store to compete with KCMO's home depot.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Clay County huh? I would have gone Platte, but the prices over there are more like JoCo. I just like the I-29 corridor, feels a little more sophisticated and white collar than the I-35 corridor which is just more blue collar. Not that that is a bad thing and as you said the demographics of that area will rapidly change probably giving you more room to make money on your home.

Anyway, I have worked on several site plans for that area, but it's been mostly homes. A lot of homes. KCMO is already looking at widening 291 from Liberty to the west. Once Shoal Creek really gets under way and all the other residential developments surrounding shoal creek get under way, you will have more retail (and traffic) than you know what to do with.

KCMO is looking for that whole area west of Liberty to reach build out within ten years. Shoal creek alone will have 30-50 thousand people.

Also, the east side of the northland is really lacking in road infrastructure. I-35 in only four lanes wide and the exits in the liberty area are a disaster. Where there is much more road capacity and river bridge options for those living on the west side of the northland. Not trying to talk you out of the location you chose, but wanted to give you something to think about.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Grid....I would agree with that feeling further south on 35 but up there by Liberty and Kearney it's not so much that from what I've seen of the people that live up that way.

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Don't worry ShowME, I have lived in Clay County all my life and you will love it. To be honest, I'm not sure why gridlock says the infrastructure in Clay county is lacking, because there are 3 major N/S thoroughfares (435, 169 and 35) plus 291 goes through Liberty to Independence. You'll be within easy access of all 4. Platte has I-29 and that's about it, besides 435 way out to the west. If you think I-35/152 is bad, try Barry Rd/I-29 now that Green Meadows Dr. is closed. It's terrible.

As far as the white collar/blue collar thing, the dividing line between those areas runs mainly east/west not north/south. The 152 corridor and northward is mainly a white collar community. The blue collar areas along I-35 are mainly Claycomo and southward, just as I-29 is blue collar from Platte Woods south (exception of Lake Waukomis).

Either end you live though, the people are very friendly, schools are great, and it's much more "natural" than other parts of the city. I can name a few parks/trails if you want.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Thanks for the info guys. Gridlock your right about Shoal Creek that project is just going to be massive. I'm not too worried about the I-35 corridor since I can just go west on MO-291 and hit I-435 which is lightly populated. I also eventually plan on finding another job up that way as well. But I have till 2004 to figure that out. Hopefully the economy will improve. As far as why we picked our location it was mainly because of new housing prices, location to her job and schools. You're in KCMO but have Liberty schools. So we're both pretty content with that.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Yea, I guess you guys are right. I used to live near I-29 and Barry and had friends at I-35 and Brighton. I just noticed the how different the areas were, but I think you are right on how it's more of an east/west line.

I was just think that when I lived up there, I could use fairfax, 635, 169, 9 or the Paseo, where Liberty people's only alternative that's not out of the way is Choteau.

291 is a straight shot to eastern jack, but it's very congested although the second Missouri river bridge has helped.

Please don't think I'm knocking any part of the northland. I'm a big fan of the northland.

It's a lesser expensive JoCo with hills, trees, lakes, rivers and cliffs, without the attitude and you are closer to a lot more regional stuff including the urban core. The people are truly friendly and down to earth.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I realize that this section of Clay County is not the most accessible to Johnson County but that's ok. I'm gonna do my best to avoid that county altogether. It's halfway convenient to the urban core which if I find a job downtown or in midtown I'm definitely riding the bus. I do hope that Liberty and the Shoal Creek Pkwy area have plans for some future class A office space.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

KCgridlock wrote:Please don't think I'm knocking any part of the northland. I'm a big fan of the northland.
Don't worry I knew you weren't trying to slam Liberty or anything. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents as a Clay Countyan, or however you say that..... :-s

BTW the easiest way to get to JoCo from Clay Co, take I-35 to the split, then to I-29 N, then I-635 south. It sounds out of the way but it's not because I-29 from the split to 635 is pretty much east/west. I never take this though because I love driving through downtown.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I'm building a house in the Northland

Post by dangerboy »

ShowME wrote:Some questions I do have about the 291 corridor west of I-35 are what are the plans for future retail or office along this stretch of highway? I know MO-152 is getting plenty of action. Is MO-291 next? I'd appreciate anyone's comments. The house will be completed in about 6 months.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 543996.htm
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Thanks for posting the link Dangerboy. I need to look on a map but I think I know where this property is. I believe it's on the southside of 291 as you head west towards I-435. The project really wasn't scaled back too much and I really could care less if they got rid of the apartments because Lord knows the Northland has enough of them already.
Calling a spade a spade.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Not to knock this development or your choice of where to live, but to me development in this area really seems like unneeded suburban sprawl and leap-frog development. We have enough available land south of M-152 to support Northland growth for years to come, yet we keep approving new developments like this on the very fringe on the city limits. In fact, we still have lots of available land south of Barry Road.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I understand your frustration dangerboy. My fiance and I looked and looked and looked for a new house subdivision with houses in the $135,000 range which is what we want to pay right now. That alone excluded us from all of Platte County and most of southern Clay county. I will say the subdivision we did pick is almost your typical cookie cutter homes but the homes are on rather small lots. But your right it's sprawl. Keep in mind I'd love to live in a new urbanism home in Shoal Creek but nothing's currently available and they probably won't start in the mid 130's either.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

The entire northland is sprawl at its worst