Where was the NCAA headquarters?

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Where was the NCAA headquarters?

Post by KCMax »

I was listening to Kietzman yesterday and he talked about when he was a kid, the NCAA built its HQ off of Nall around SMP. I missed where exactly though - does anyone know? Where were they before that? Was it in KC originally?

When I was a kid I remember it being somewhere around College and Metcalf, although I can't recall for certain - where was it then?

Why was the NCAA HQ based in the KC area anyway?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Where was the NCAA headquarters?

Post by kcmetro »

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: I was listening to Kietzman yesterday and he talked about when he was a kid, the NCAA built its HQ off of Nall around SMP. I missed where exactly though - does anyone know? Where were they before that? Was it in KC originally?

When I was a kid I remember it being somewhere around College and Metcalf, although I can't recall for certain - where was it then?

Why was the NCAA HQ based in the KC area anyway?
It was in the office building on I believe the Southeast corner of SMP/Nall - I think it is a bank now.  They had a little museum in the lobby level. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcmetro wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_C ... ssociation

This tells you why it was in KC.
Thanks.
The modern era of the NCAA began in July 1952 when its executive director, Kansas City, Missouri native Walter Byers, moved the organization's headquarters from the LaSalle Hotel in Chicago (where its offices were shared by the headquarters of the Big Ten Conference) to the Fairmount Building at 101 West 11th Street in Downtown Kansas City. The move was intended to separate the NCAA from direct influence of any individual conference and to keep it centrally located.
Weren't Big 8 headquarters in KC?
In 1997 it asked for bids for a new headquarters.

Various cities competed for a new headquarters with the two finalists being Kansas City and Indianapolis.

Kansas City proposed to relocate the NCAA back downtown near the Crown Center complex and would locate the visitors' centre in Union Station (Kansas City). However Kansas City's main sports venue Kemper Arena was nearly 30 years old.[9]

Indianapolis argued that it was in fact more central than Kansas City in that two thirds of the members are east of the Mississippi River.[9]

Further the 50,000-seat RCA Dome far eclipsed the 17,000-seat Kemper.
I wonder how competitive our bid to keep the NCAA would be now with SC. Was there any talk of putting a roof on Arrowhead back then to keep the NCAA here?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: It was in the office building on I believe the Southeast corner of SMP/Nall - I think it is a bank now.  They had a little museum in the lobby level. 
The last location in KC was on College between Lamar and Nall, so it must have been in this location before that.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCLofts wrote: The last location in KC was on College between Lamar and Nall, so it must have been in this location before that.
Yeah - thats where it went after it left SMP. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: Weren't Big 8 headquarters in KC?
It was downtown in the building that was called "River Mark" (I believe).  It was on 8th St, north side, and Locust.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Big 8, NAIA, and NCAA headquarters were all in KC at one time. I went to school with Jennie Byers, Walter's niece. We never
thought much about it. They were part of the neighborhood and the culture at that time. (60's)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Hopefully someone at the EDC has their calendar marked for the day the NCAA's tax breaks expire in Indy.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

dangerboy wrote: Hopefully someone at the EDC has their calendar marked for the day the NCAA's tax breaks expire in Indy.
With the EDC's austere budget and the level of scrutiny they now are under, they can no longer afford calendars and they are only allowed to spend time on the maintenence of status quo.