New Cajun Restaurant

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
kcpenny
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: New Cajun Restaurant

Post by kcpenny »

Yea, we talked about Rivermarket and honestly its sounding more attractive now that we hear your opinions.  As far as westport, would that be too close to 39th st. where Jazz is?  We don't mind the competition but at the same time we will be the newcomers, maybe if all goes well we can open a second resturant down in westport...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcpenny wrote: Yea, we talked about Rivermarket and honestly its sounding more attractive now that we hear your opinions.  As far as westport, would that be too close to 39th st. where Jazz is?  We don't mind the competition but at the same time we will be the newcomers, maybe if all goes well we can open a second resturant down in westport...
I think Jazz kind of has its established steady customer base and mostly pulls the same crowd back.  Thus, regardless of where you go I think you will be targeting a different customer. 
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Please keep us posted, I look forward to a visit once you get going.  :cheers:
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

Someone tried that concept in the river market a few years back, it didn't fly for very long. Now it's called Harry's. Take your concept to the masses, don't wait for them to come to you. The rent in the river market isn't worth it. Hell, Arun's thai place just closed today, just a few blocks away. I'd stay away from the city and make it work in the burbs. The foot traffic is much greater!

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/5394
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

City Market. Rent is affordable.

And, as someone who travels to SW LA with the family once a year (Lafayette, Breau Bridge, Opelousas), good luck to you, and I am looking forward to sending plenty of business your way.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I agree, River Market... or... Columbus Park? I think it would be a good fit. It's kind of off the beaten path and therefore is more of a destination. CP has a large concentration of excellent and unique restaurants within a very small area: LaSala's Deli, Vietnam Caf?, Garozzo's, Happy Gillis Caf? and Hangout, Kim Long, you might even include the Caddy Shack.

I don't understand why so many of the restaurants in RM have been closing while the ones in CP seem to be doing alright. Hmmm.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote: I don't understand why so many of the restaurants in RM have been closing while the ones in CP seem to be doing alright. Hmmm.
Delaware Market Cafe-take 2...Inexperience, lack of capital
El Jay Cafe...Inexperience, lack of commitment
RiverMarket Brewery...Bad food, bad service, space too large for operation
Skybox...Self-destruction
Dos Hombres...Too tex-mex?, space too large for operation
Vivace...Lack of direction (management)

By contrast, you look at the CP restaurants mentioned by Taxi (other than perhaps Caddyshack) and they have clearly outlined what they are, when they are to be open and what customers should expect.  Then they deliver on it consistantly.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

It probably closed before you arrived, but our favorite cajun restaurant in town used to be located just a few blocks south of Jazz on 39th.  It was Kiki's Bon Ton Maison on Westport road.  I believe the two coexisted for quite some time before Kiki's shut down.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Is Cajun a good term, as opposed to Creole, or just New Orleans style?
I'm interested because the term Cajun seems a bit locked in on Blackened Meats and spicy foods, while I'm interested in all aspects of Louisiana food. Am I off base here in perception?
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

I spent a few days in Houma LA many moons ago. Great people and awesome food!!! Definitely keep us updated. My wife and I are always wanting to try new places for our date nights.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

bbqboy wrote: Is Cajun a good term, as opposed to Creole, or just New Orleans style?
I'm interested because the term Cajun seems a bit locked in on Blackened Meats and spicy foods, while I'm interested in all aspects of Louisiana food. Am I off base here in perception?
I have this questions too.  I also wonder if it really matters.  Honestly, how many patrons would truly know the difference?  If you're going to rely on what I would think is a niche market that would be able to understand the difference between cajun, creole, and New Orleans I'm not sure you have enough people to pay the bills.  I'm also not sure what would be best from a marketing standpoint.  But it is something to evaluate critically prior to moving forward with opening the restaurant.
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

There are differences between Cajun and Creole, but there are so many similarities that it's useless to argue about it, though south Louisianans love to do so. The two groups both have French backgrounds, but are from very different places. French Creoles were originally French settlers in New Orleans who mixed with Spanish and American folks in that polyglot city. Louisiana Cajuns are descendants of the French Acadians who left (were driven from) Nova Scotia in the 18th century, and landed in southwest Louisiana. They lived as hunters and farmers, and they still live in southwest Louisiana. That area of the state is fun to visit, because it is like nowhere else in the country.

So technically, New Orleans cooking started as Creole cuisine--at this point, both cuisines have mixed so much in modern times that it's all a tasty mash-up. Bam.

When does that new Cajun restaurant open?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

In the Airport?
Liberty-Tiffany Springs or Barry Road
Blue Springs-Adams Daily
OP-Corbin Park or Downtown or in the former Metcalf South Mall
Olathe-Olathe Gateway or Pointe or Alden Center Phase 2 or by Johnson County E. Airport
WE have Popeyes and so on that sell Cajun Food.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCLofts wrote: It probably closed before you arrived, but our favorite cajun restaurant in town used to be located just a few blocks south of Jazz on 39th.  It was Kiki's Bon Ton Maison on Westport road.  I believe the two coexisted for quite some time before Kiki's shut down.
Kiki's was awesome. Was one of my favorite restaurants - period.

To that point - I would think a Westport location could be feasible.

Keep us posted on how it goes - good luck.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Kiki's was more than just a cajun restaurant, as it had its own identity and style, unlike nearly every other bar today that is full of storebought crap and vinyl banners and other paraphernalia propagated by liquor and cigarette vendors. I find that to be one of the saddest things in the world. I weep on my keyboard just thinking about it.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WSPanic wrote: Kiki's was awesome. Was one of my favorite restaurants - period.

To that point - I would think a Westport location could be feasible.

Keep us posted on how it goes - good luck.
I loved Kiki's too, I was sorry to see it depart.  Unfortunately, Cajun restaurants have received a fairly mixed reception in KC.  Besides Kiki's, Copelands in OP was also very good most of the time but it was ran by a Chief's player (Neil Smith?) and the quality was rather variable.

I wish the prospective owners good luck, it's among my favorite genres of food and the plethora of places here in Houston are about the only thing I enjoy about the city (I liked Papadeaux's early theme, they have more recently upscaled the concept).
Last edited by Highlander on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Seems like Jazz has the stronghold in KC cajun.  I like a couple of their items but they are not consistent either.  After learning how to cook cajun, I realize how many shortcuts restaurants take pretty much everywhere.  And each cook will do it differently, which can give it the soul, but shortcuts will result emptiness.

See this post for my shrimp diane on pasta.  I doubt many restaurants would bother going through this much detail.  For most, it's just not cost effective to do it.

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 44#p391744
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

kcpenny wrote: Yea, we talked about Rivermarket and honestly its sounding more attractive now that we hear your opinions.  As far as westport, would that be too close to 39th st. where Jazz is?  We don't mind the competition but at the same time we will be the newcomers, maybe if all goes well we can open a second resturant down in westport...
I just had a discussion with one of the cooks at Grinders West about this very same thing. He would love to open or work in a much better Cajun place than is currently open in K.C. and we agreed that The Jazz is not that good. I think he's just dying for a good beignet in this town and has yet to find it. He's from Philly, so not sure how he got the Cajun food jones, but he's got it big.

I would not worry about either of The Jazz's locations. I personally don't know anyone who frequents them for their food. I'm sure someone does though. The Jazz would not even cross my mind when thinking Cajun because IMHO the food sucks. And yes, I'm another one of those folks who miss Kiki's. They had great food, great music and some great employees. I wish they hadn't closed.

Think about locating in the Crossroads or East Crossroads. I believe there is plenty of space for a new restaurant there somewhere.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

A big vote for the Crossroads.  Or the City market.  Either one of those two would be great locations.  I think those neighborhoods are just going to get better and better over time.  As long as the new light rail system doesn't have to buy you out.  But it seems you have a few years before that happens.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

The newly remodeled Ranchmart at 95th & Mission in OP/Leawood/PV.  This area is still underserved by restaurants.  When O'neill's opened up, they immediately had 1 hr waits.  If the food is good and the prices are right, this area can handle any restaurant that goes in here.  You could take over the old Chinese restaurant on the back side (should be cheap).  It has more parking than you could ever need but terrible visibility (you would need to have a guy in a crawfish outfit on the street to get traffic to find you).  But if you're good, word travels fast.