New Cajun Restaurant

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
kcpenny
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

New Cajun Restaurant

Post by kcpenny »

I'm looking for feedback if possible on the best possible location for New Orleans style cajun restaurant. My wife is really interested in opening a restaurant and is in the process of obtaining financing. The problem is we cant agree on where we should focus on the first location. Obviously it would be a small operation to start, but we are looking to maximize all opportunities if possible. You guys know the city best, so any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: New Cajun Restaurant

Post by DaveKCMO »

surely you can provide us with some of the options about which you've disagreed? are you open to a city location? MO or KS suburbs? obvious comparison will be Jazz, which has had success at 39th & state line and not so much in other locations (the olathe location didn't last too long).
kcpenny
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcpenny »

I want to stay as far away from Jazz as possible but besides that I have no preferences. She is from New Orleans and feels really confident no matter where it is. She has mentioned Lee Summit or South KC, Im thinking more East KC to build a following.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

can you describe yours & hers vision  for a New Orleans style Cajun restaurant? I'm just interested in what that entails?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

In south KC, Waldo would normally be a great fit, but it might be getting saturated with new restaurants.  The South State Line corridor would give you the South KC location you mentioned, plus access to much of the Johnson County market.

In the suburbs, Lee's Summit is probably under-served for non-chain restaurants. Downtown L.S. is very nice and becoming more of  a regional destination.  Up north Parkville, is a regional dining destination with a good mix cuisines at excellent restaurants.  Also up north, Zona Rosa gets lots of foot traffic and seems to really accommodate local restaurants. Briarcliff Village also caters to independent restaurants.

In the City, Columbus Park or the City Market would be good places to be around other diverse cuisines.  Longfellow seems to be an emerging dining destination.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

Lee's summit or north of the river could work those area's are prone to "theme" style restaurants. Some nice growth going out east.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

There was a Jazz in Lees Summit already at one point, not sure, is it still there?  We went with clients one day for lunch and were the only people in the place.....  :(
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Where Copeland's use to be in Overland Park because it was Seafood Restaurant before it became a Steakhouse.
Olathe area maybe or even Village West.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

mgsports wrote: Where Copeland's use to be in Overland Park because it was Seafood Restaurant before it became a Steakhouse.
Olathe area maybe or even Village West.
Jazz failed in Olathe, so who would try another cajun restaurant there?  Village West already has a Jazz, and do you really think there is room for two cajun restaurants there?
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Neal Smith's place at 119th & Metcalf (Copelands?)also did not last.  It was what my northeasterner perspective would call New Orleans food.

I think a little more info regarding your vision is needed.  Is it more of a "joint" or a "cajun theme restaurant"?  I'm betting small, family run "joint."  An analogy would be LC's BBQ to Jack Stack.  Will there be a focus on live music, or just food?

I know westport is close to the 39th St Jazz, but would think a cajun place would fit well there.  Another thought if a nicer place is the Mission Farms development in Leawood with Blanc Burgers, Room 39 and Blue Koi.

edit - I wish you luck in this venture.  Make sure you post your decisions so I can come eat, regardless of where it ends up  :D
kcpenny
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcpenny »

She envisions a restaurant right out of New Orleans, for instance Jazz is the closest but they make their beignets different than New Orelans by adding chantilly cream and less powdered sugar. They also sprinkle seasoning on the crawfish after they boil, which typically doesnt happen there. I know these are small things but its home to her and she definitely notices the differences and would like to try her hand. She would like for it to be on par with what she is used to back home with authentic tastes and not a lot of changes.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I would think you could do somewhere in midtown east of the trafficway without having any overlap problems with Jazz.  Hell, Jerusalem Cafe manages to support both a 39th St. location and a Westport location despite serving a pretty narrow ethnic dining niche. 

Seems like the river market dining scene has pretty well imploded of late - perhaps there is opportunity to rise from those ashes. 
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

jdubwaldo wrote: There was a Jazz in Lees Summit already at one point, not sure, is it still there?  We went with clients one day for lunch and were the only people in the place.....  :(
Jazz in Lee's Summit went out of business 2 or 3 years ago.
kcpenny
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcpenny »

Hi kc rag, this is kcpenny's wife...first thanks for all of your feedback thus far, its so helpful being able to get different opinions...like my husband said, I want to venture to open an authentic Cajun restaurant somewhere in the metro. More about our vision... i don't know if any of you have ever been to New Orleans or south la, if you have I know you went to some restaurant...when you come into our restaurant i want you to forget where you are.  I was born & raised in south la (just moved to kc 4 years ago) and am very familiar with authentic la food, the gumbo, the jambalaya, the boudin, ettoufee, the list goes on...as much as i love jazz (and go there to get my home fix) there are just small things that in my opinion take away from the authenticity.  This restaurant will not be just food, and will not focus on jazz music.  Our vision is a sportsbar type atmosphere, both of us are big sports fans, and often times we chose where we're going to eat based on if they have the game on...@ our restaurant there may be a night or two during the week when we have a zydeco band, and probably a room available for a more formal private setting...but mainly a sports bar that serves good south Louisianian Cajun food..I envision it kinda like dave & buster's is set up just on a smaller scale
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

All I ask is that you serve awesome beniets. Thank you and best of luck.

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

westport (there are probably 10 empty spaces along westport road between main and pennsylvania).

river market

westside (17th and summit area)

longfellow (i.e holmes between 25th and 28th, or the 31st and cherry area)
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I concur - Westport / River market would be wonderful.  Great local following in these areas, some good open spaces available in both to accomodate a concept like this.  Additionally, you would catch overflow from the plaza / downtown out of town visitors.  There is not a great place to watch games, IMHO in Westport, this would be a great concept.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

What's going on with the old Winstead's spot in one KCP? Across the street from P+L and could be huge with the lunch crowd. THough the place might be incredibly expensive.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: Up north Parkville, is a regional dining destination with a good mix cuisines at excellent restaurants.
the old Power Plant space is available!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Stockton wrote: What's going on with the old Winstead's spot in one KCP? Across the street from P+L and could be huge with the lunch crowd. THough the place might be incredibly expensive.
I think it was incorporated into the new KCP&L lobby.  Besides, that is in awful location if you want any evening or weekend business.