Quality Hill Square Condos

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
Chazarelli
Pad site
Pad site

Quality Hill Square Condos

Post by Chazarelli »

Good morning,

I was wandering if anybody had any information, or opinions about the Quality Hill Square Condos development. (www.qualityhillsquare.com).  I have been interested in purchasing a property in the area for some time and viewed many units in 2007 before leaving for Dubai (currently still living and working here).  I was put onto these units by a friend and only have the website and the realtors website to base my opinion off of.  I have friends and family in KC that will be 'on the ground' for me looking at units and forming opinions, but i feel that the members of this forum are much more informed and in touch with the facts then anybody they will talk to.

What do you think?  Any other reccomendations to check out?

Thanks,

Charles
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Quality Hill Square Condos

Post by FangKC »

I lived in these apartments before they went condo. I ended up buying a house instead, and moved out in January 2009.

I lived there for seven years, and was happy there. I probably wouldn't have moved out had the complex stayed rental. I never had any problems living there. It is actually a very quiet neighborhood. Believe it or not, I experience more noise disturbances now living in my present single family house from neighbors than I ever had with shared walls, floors at Quality Hill.

It is a very convenient location to all parts of the city. The condos are pretty good sized, and the one bedrooms have rather large bedrooms. Each condo comes with a washer and dryer kept in a utility room off the kitchen, where the water heater and furnace are. The utilities in these apartments are very reasonable. There is also an individual security system in each apartment. The new downtown public library is just four blocks away, and the new grocery store is seven blocks. The CVS drugstore is five blocks away.

You have to meet certain income limits to buy in this project. If you are a single buyer, you have to earn below $30,000 annually.  If I were buying here, I would certainly opt for a two-bedroom, since the price difference is not that much.

http://www.qualityhillsquare.com/qualify.html

The apartments are presently gutted, so you have to buy one to get it in finished condition. They do have finished models to look at though.

If you can meet the guidelines, they are probably the cheapest condos you can purchase in downtown Kansas City.
There is no fifth destination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah you have to make insane little amount of money.  Their huge signs are quite a "quality" neighborhood touch.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think these buildings were constructed using some HUD financing, so they have to remain affordable--thus the income guidelines.
There is no fifth destination.
Chazarelli
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Chazarelli »

Thanks guys for the information, very helpful, and promising!  I would love to get one of the units, but I am afraid the income qualification will stop me from buying. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Chazarelli wrote: Thanks guys for the information, very helpful, and promising!  I would love to get one of the units, but I am afraid the income qualification will stop me from buying. 
Chaz, you should check out www.qualityhillcondos.com/

They purchased a bit more than half of the Quality Hill development about two years ago.  They have upgraded from the original finishes and are selling condos (and leasing) that are market rate and have no income guidelines.

Be aware that there is a gap (10/15%) between their asking price and the price at which these condos should be sold.  Negotiate...
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Chaz - my husband and his buddy lived in one of these townhomes a few years ago.  They were in the 428 W 11th building, in a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath unit.  The pictures on the website make it look like they did a great job upgrading these from what I recall.  The floorplan layout is great, and the location is really central to everything in the city.  You can get onto I35 is just a couple blocks down the street as well for easy access everywhere.  I agree with FangKC, at that time anyway, this was a really quiet neighborhood.  I never felt unsafe there, and I'm sure it's a lot more secure now that more people are living downtown and folks are out and about more now that there is so much more going on.

Good luck!
Chazarelli
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Chazarelli »

Thanks guys for all your help, it is very useful.  I am hoping I can make it work because, as everybody said, it's a great deal for a good place.  I will keep you up-to-date!  Any other suggestions/reccomendations?  Metropolitan?