what's on top of municipal?

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

what's on top of municipal?

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I am not very observant lately but what are the panels that are in top of the corner of municipal?  Tall and ugly silvery fence looking things...
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: what's on top of municipal?

Post by voltopt »

Municipal Auditorium?  That's the new flyspace for Music Hall...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

voltopt wrote: Municipal Auditorium?  That's the new flyspace for Music Hall...
aka "The Lion King Attic"
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Huh. I need to brush up on theatrical terms. Flyspace???  Well, it's ugly up there. :-P
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigging_(theatre)

I don't mind it, considering the alternative.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

They enbiggened the roof so that the Music Hall could accommodate shows with bigger scenery needs.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I like that the new panel's design has a slightly Art Deco motif.  I think they need to carry the panels across the whole upper facade now to keep the symmetry.  It looks a little strange being on that corner only.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Looks horrible to me.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Tosspot wrote: Looks horrible to me.
Agreed.  It looks awful.  At first I thought it was temporary covering.  Then realized it was permanent.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Fortunately it isn't all that noticeable from most sidewalk level vantages - you have to be up top in Barney Allis P. to get that kind of view.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Fortunately it isn't all that noticeable from most sidewalk level vantages - you have to be up top in Barney Allis P. to get that kind of view.
Precisely how I noticed it. I was crossing from the Folly over Barney Allis and was "holy shite!"
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

Maybe I get all turned around once I get inside the complex, but the panels in that picture appear to be on the east side of the auditorium block - on the Wyandotte side of the arena.  The stage for the Music Hall is more or less in the middle of the block, right?

I know they bumped up the roof to make for more fly space - I'm just not sure that's what we are looking at in that picture.

Either that or I am just hopeless confused (which is not beyond the pale).
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I think it looks great - using stone would have been disingenuous and typically metal screens on top of buildings are uninspired corrugated metal or standing seam. 
This "screen" is delightfully simple, somewhat playful, and contrasts with the existing monolith of stone in a delicate enough way that it doesn't seem either contrived or screen-like...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

voltopt wrote: I think it looks great - using stone would have been disingenuous and typically metal screens on top of buildings are uninspired corrugated metal or standing seam. 
This "screen" is delightfully simple, somewhat playful, and contrasts with the existing monolith of stone in a delicate enough way that it doesn't seem either contrived or screen-like...

Yeah, I don't dislike the material or style.  If I had any critique, I would have suggested that it might have looked better if they had built an identical "dummy" structure on the west side in order to maintain the otherwise symetrical design of the facade. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I would have suggested that it might have looked better if they had built an identical "dummy" structure on the west side in order to maintain the otherwise symetrical design of the facade. 
That's what I was saying.  Or they could have just made the whole top have that metal screen...symmetry is what that facade is all about!!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It was the symmetry and balanced masses that made the monolothic block sized building appealing.  It looks like a big deco porta-potty on the roof.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

moderne wrote: It was the symmetry and balanced masses that made the monolothic block sized building appealing.  It looks like a big deco porta-potty on the roof.

:lol:

Seconded!!!