Kansas City's Best Developers

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
homewardbound
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Kansas City's Best Developers

Post by homewardbound »

I'm a native Midwesterner living in the Southeast, but hoping to return sometime in the future... to KC most likely.  I work as a Development Manager for a small firm focusing on urban infill and mixed-use projects.  Who are KC's best developers measured by the following criteria:

1. Infills or redevelops existing urban sites
2. Site plan oriented towards pedestrians
3. Enhances environments with a mix of uses

I know this type of developer tends to be "boutique" by nature so would appreciate some grassroots advice!

Thanks,
HB
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Kansas City's Best Developers

Post by NDTeve »

Best:
1) RED Development
2) RH Johnson

Worst:
1) DST
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the crossroads developers are pretty good at infill and creating a sense of place (in this order):

1. nicholson (barkley/MAC/souperman, 1800 baltimore)
2. accardo (1819 baltimore, the broadway, various other commercial spaces)
3. leavitt (freighthouse area, 39th and main)
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

NDTeve wrote: Best:
1) RED Development
2) RH Johnson

Worst:
1) DST
I doubt any of these developers would fit into your definition of "boutique."
I've worked with both, and I have had positive experiences with them both, but they are both large retail center developers, with RED focusing on "lifestyle" centers like the Legends at Village West and the Shops at North Village, and RH Johnson with big box developments like Wal Marts & Lowe's, such as Blue Ridge Mall redevelopment and the North Oak Village on Vivion and North Oak, amongst others.  They both manage and market smaller, urban properties, but both are predominately large, suburban, auto-centric developers.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

RED is *not* urban friendly.  They specialize in gigantic lifestyle centers in edge cities, so it's ironic that they are based on the Plaza.  It's true that they have a division that manages property in urban locations, but I don't think they do any infill or redevelopment.

Urban Coeur has done some really good infill projects in urban neighborhoods like Union Hill, Longfellow, Columbus Park, and Rosedale (http://www.urbancoeur.com)
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

For RED, I was thinking more in terms of 2 and 3.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

NDTeve wrote: For RED, I was thinking more in terms of 2 and 3.
Do you mean after you park?  You have to drive to their centers.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

RED is almost universally reviled on this board. i bet if you did a poll, they wouldn't even crack the top 10.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

dangerboy wrote:Urban Coeur has done some really good infill projects in urban neighborhoods like Union Hill, Longfellow, Columbus Park, and Rosedale (http://www.urbancoeur.com)
seconded
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Noticed no-one came to the defense of DST. And no-one here can argue that others (besides Cordish) do a better job than RED and Rod Yates specifically at getting tenants new to KC. 
- Mark Twain
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

NDTeve wrote: Noticed no-one came to the defense of DST. And no-one here can argue that others (besides Cordish) do a better job than RED and Rod Yates specifically at getting tenants new to KC. 
What new tenants has RED brought to KC?  Seems like all the new-to-market tenants they pull are actually in KCK or OP.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

There are different ways to judge a developer.  In terms of financial success, I suppose RED is very successful.  In terms of built environment, providing quality places that integrate well into the fabric of a city and truly mix uses, and understanding pedestrian access and integration into neighborhoods (not shopping centers as pedestrian islands accessed by autos on arterial roads and interstates), then RED is not very successful.  It could be argued that DST is mildly better than RED in getting projects to happen in the city, such as Kirkwood or West downtown, but they tend to work in a singular manner and on commercial office or residential projects.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

NDTeve wrote: Noticed no-one came to the defense of DST. And no-one here can argue that others (besides Cordish) do a better job than RED and Rod Yates specifically at getting tenants new to KC.
I wasn't trying to rag on your choices.

Why is DST in the "bad" list?  I know they have a lot of land bought up and are sitting on it, but they have done a lot of good projects.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

My problem with DST is how slow they are. Ask any developer and they'll tell you how long their projects take. I have a feeling with Main in my neighborhood that they will drag their feet as they have with Kirkwood. I don't know if they're slow across the board or not but it just seems like they never finish anything right away. Like in Kirkwood, they worked on the townhouses on Wyandotte for months. Took them much longer than the other aspects of the project. Just an opinion. And saying that RED has brought great tenants to KC is the same to me as saying that they brought unique ones to 119 or Village West. My view of KC is broader than the urban core.
- Mark Twain
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

DaveKCMO wrote: the crossroads developers are pretty good at infill and creating a sense of place (in this order):

1. nicholson (barkley/MAC/souperman, 1800 baltimore)
2. accardo (1819 baltimore, the broadway, various other commercial spaces)
3. leavitt (freighthouse area, 39th and main)
LEVITT????  The only thing he's good at is holding onto property and doing nothing....and erecting ugly-ass bill boards in the crossroads.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

As I understand it, it's because of DST that the west side of downtown was nice ten years before the rest.
homewardbound
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by homewardbound »

Wow - many, many thanks for the responses.  I was familiar with RED and found RH Johnson online, though have had trouble finding websites for some of the others - if there are links I am missing, thank you again for the help. 

Urban Coeur would definitely constitute "boutique" in my view; is the firm surviving the housing downturn in good shape?  My current firm is bigger than Urban Coeur but a bit smaller than RED.  We would never do sites the size of RED's without a mix of uses - retail and residential, most recently; office, retail, and residential next.  Almost all of our projects involve structured parking, with each site's edge conditions programmed for pedestrian connections (and transit connections where applicable).

NDTeve, is DST's finished product good enough to be worth the wait?  Or are they both slow and bad?

HB
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

homewardbound wrote: My current firm is bigger than Urban Coeur but a bit smaller than RED.  We would never do sites the size of RED's without a mix of uses - retail and residential, most recently; office, retail, and residential next.  Almost all of our projects involve structured parking, with each site's edge conditions programmed for pedestrian connections (and transit connections where applicable).
Sounds like you need to bring the firm with you when you move.  :D
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

homewardbound wrote: Wow - many, many thanks for the responses.  I was familiar with RED and found RH Johnson online, though have had trouble finding websites for some of the others - if there are links I am missing, thank you again for the help. 

Urban Coeur would definitely constitute "boutique" in my view; is the firm surviving the housing downturn in good shape?  My current firm is bigger than Urban Coeur but a bit smaller than RED.  We would never do sites the size of RED's without a mix of uses - retail and residential, most recently; office, retail, and residential next.  Almost all of our projects involve structured parking, with each site's edge conditions programmed for pedestrian connections (and transit connections where applicable).

NDTeve, is DST's finished product good enough to be worth the wait?  Or are they both slow and bad?

HB
They're product is good. I guess I'm biased because their slow pace on Kirkwood has impacted my family..who in turn bitch to me about it. Plus, I think they will definitely drag their feet on the Main St redevelopment. But, one can't argue with their finished product. Its first class and they know Kansas City. Worth the wait...not so sure.
- Mark Twain
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Urban Coeur is involved in a 22 acre, $100 million mixed-use project in Columbus Park. They hope to begin infrastructure work in the fall. I imagine they will be needing help.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown